Gold recovery and refining

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gnasher will have a few bits and pieces hanging round from  brinks mat ,see if he'll do you a decent price get you started .

I nip in most I see when I walk past them mate.....never really found much but have come across a few records that might be worth a few quid.....thing is now the charity shops are selling all the good

Sid had an emporium mate....only went there the once, came home with a 2 seater Chesterfield strapped to my roof rack!! Lol

Posted Images

12 hours ago, WILF said:

Been stripping an old pine dresser today as it happens......people who varnish, especially coloured varnish, old pieces should be thrown in the sea ! Lol 

Then I have a rather cute arts & crafts oak display case to put a new back on.

Keeps me busy

Seen a load of stagg furniture painted in Facebook other day I prefer it in its dark colour you can tell it’s a quality piece ,painted it could be anything ? 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Stoney100 said:

Had to google that mate but I’m sure that’s turned in to jewellery now lol a £26 million heist in 1983......doubt they ever worked again! 

A lot of it was sold as scrap through a shop near me, owned by my mates aunty ,was  smelted down by John Palmer in his garden when he lived in bath,  or so the story goes ?

1 hour ago, sid g said:

castors are shocking wilf ... if you cant find nice replacements  spray em black take your eye off em ...

Yeah, they are hideous ain’t they mate!

Maybe I should do away with them altogether, what do you reckon ?

On 23/11/2019 at 21:54, WILF said:

Couple of my recent purchases

2EE32C4F-C0F0-4DBA-8B55-CB0C4C1325BB.jpeg.e9bf003ebaedf0f622cec79be6bc4814.jpeg
204B27B7-7A80-48EC-A2FF-3DC39D104E61.jpeg.b0a94709539ba9586c3745a38a18e11c.jpeg

I bought loads of those bergere chairs , especially the ones with the cane damaged , my wife taught herself how to re cane them and she would always have one on the go in the shop .The amount of times people would stop and watch & then end up ordering it when it was finished or bringing in chairs they had for repair , few years back now but I’m sure it worked out 50p a hole ..

The sofa’s where a nightmare but you could buy them for pennies if they were damaged , I would clean and re 

polish the wood and she would re cane it , and an upholsterer who rented space in the shop sorted out the upholstery , they turned good money .Brown furniture at the time made top dollar and those little chiffonier’s that Sid painted I was giving £700 min for at auction , to strip and repolish , the same with painted chests of drawers , you sometimes picked up some real hidden gems when you stripped the paint of and found Brazilian flame mahogany that repolished looked stunning .

I sold the shop to a developer with the intention of opening another but the price of brown furniture fell of a cliff that year , now it seems the only way to sell old ( every day ) furniture is to paint it ..the top quality antique furniture trade will always be there .

Has that chair had the legs cut down Wilf ? .it looks low , definitely needs some different castors on it ...

• Like 3
On 23/11/2019 at 17:15, Stoney100 said:

I don’t know if it’s me just noticing them more while it’s in my thoughts lol but I seem to be seeing gold shops all over the place! 

I read somewhere that there’s only about 200 tonnes of natural gold left to be feasibly mined and about another 25 ton that could be panned/extracted from rivers......one day all the gold on the planet will be above ground and in use in phones/computers or on someone’s finger/round their neck and as jewellery will normally stay as jewellery the most sustainable method of getting gold will be what they call “urban mining” from refining e waste and that’s why gold dealers are buying it now and just stacking it up in a vault somewhere as it will only get higher as less becomes available naturally. 

Unless they find another natural source it will definitely go that way......there’s some places that hold 1000s of tonnes but it will be places like the arctic or inaccessible mountain regions etc......pretty crazy to think we have near cleared off one natural resource so much that we will have to destroy even more of the earth just to get more of it!

I know f**k all about gold and scrapping etc but I'll be amazed if there's only 200t of gold undergroung, not buying that!

Edit, just checked there's an estimated 18000 tonnes in the US alone

Edited by JDHUNTING
10 hours ago, JDHUNTING said:

I know f**k all about gold and scrapping etc but I'll be amazed if there's only 200t of gold undergroung, not buying that!

Edit, just checked there's an estimated 18000 tonnes in the US alone

200 in accessible areas mate......there is obviously a lot more but it would cost more to get it out than what it’s worth and that’s why recycling it is becoming such a big thing as it’s already above ground so costs are at minimum. 

Edited by Stoney100
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, sid g said:

they use em for putting condiments in baskets on  , fill the cupboards and drawers with menus knife n forks , it was 18 quid plus 20% commission then vat on top .. around 26 quid all in .. sort a key for it polish it  job done ,

£26 i would have bought it just for the top bit and yes i know i'm a heathen..:icon_redface:..

• Like 1