Deerhounds

2 hours ago, skycat said:

The competitive coursing I used to do was never for money, just a competition against other dogs, whether under rules or single handed, but I can honestly say even that sort of competition took away most of the enjoyment for me when I was watching my dog run. All I wanted was to win, and once I'd stopped running competitively I was again able to appreciate watching my dog running, with no pressure. I would have been a basket case if ever I'd bet money on the outcome of a course.

Or not confident of the ability of thy hound  a smaller wager has mu h who's paying fa first pint or getting brekkie can put a bit jeoval  humour atb bill

• Like 1

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely old running dogs,...I'm pleased that a few lads still fancy owning some of these beautiful animals.. My old stock were bred directly off an Ardkinglas Deerhound dog over a tremendously wel

There you go shark ?genuine articles ?

nice ttle film that mick.....what just shows them deerhounds back then ...looked more like the half crosses of today....

Posted Images

1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Numbers, 'speed lamping' and a few other things like you've said. Many of today's 'lurcher people' have ruined it for most average enthusiasts. It's all competition now, no knowlege, no empathy for quarry, no fieldcraft etc. People lamping in the wrong conditions, wind and moonwise, making sure that thousands of rabbits up and down the country get lamp shy quicker/easier than they used to etc etc.

Hehehe what a ray of sunshine I am ? ?

I said it before and I'll say it agen the old style keepers of jels  mouchers are few and far between I don't class pest controllers paid fa jobs has. Ouchers jukel tyro  they have a jukel has merely a tool of there kit the real mouchers are near extinction atb bill

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Bill Doherty used to course with his Doxhope deerhounds. I'm sure he stated that some of his dogs could take brown hare. Be interesting to know if he has any footage or photographs.

Not many pure saluki could take long ears with out a five minute run atb bill

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
12 minutes ago, billhardy said:

I said it before and I'll say it agen the old style keepers of jels  mouchers are few and far between I don't class pest controllers paid fa jobs has. Ouchers jukel tyro  they have a jukel has merely a tool of there kit the real mouchers are near extinction atb bill

Agree with you bill ?

Had a few deerhound xs in the eighties not one did for me what I needed back then ?

But put across a good working lurcher of collie or Saluki ancestors they could fill a bag day and night ?

And Bull X's really ?

I have seen more crap bull X's in my life than any other cross I'd say game but useless in the field feet stamina and far too heavy if they ever do connect with edible game ?

This one probably best I've had the pleasure of that was out of an F1 deerhound greyhound did it all for me and  fed plenty this games f****d you only have to read the twaddle on here to realise it ???

14615796_10207595148544617_3519550044005812484_o-1.jpg

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, juckler123 said:

Had a few deerhound xs in the eighties not one did for me what I needed back then ?

But put across a good working lurcher of collie or Saluki ancestors they could fill a bag day and night ?

And Bull X's really ?

I have seen more crap bull X's in my life than any other cross I'd say game but useless in the field feet stamina and far too heavy if they ever do connect with edible game ?

This one probably best I've had the pleasure of that was out of an F1 deerhound greyhound did it all for me and  fed plenty this games f****d you only have to read the twaddle on here to realise it ???

14615796_10207595148544617_3519550044005812484_o-1.jpg

Kin el mate, you saying bull crosses, in the majority of cases, are crap? I've said similar on a few occasions, and have been persecuted, ridiculed, told that I know nothing, and a host of other negative comments, abuse etc. You sir, have confirmed my opinions of the bull cross. BUT, not ALL bull crosses. And that was the gist I was appertaining to. The majority of 'shit' bred bull terrier, too heavy, flat footed etc etc, bred to any greyhound really, is NOT going to the same as some of these bull crosses, bred from athletic, sound footed 'athlete' type bull terriers. Some of which are cracking animals

Whatever it's all that's legal now this dog fed a village 1980 hope you have had one as good ?.

He could lamp all night and still kill five hares in the morning on the way home did more fallow than I've bet you've ever seen ?

His sire and dam and do I keep lurchers now no I don't I keep salukis as the lurchers are useless now ?

gripc11_zps350c7786.jpg

gripc21_zps366bcfa9.jpg

Kizzy821_zps064a385d.jpg

• Like 3