Has anyone seen a homebred dog better a big name coursing dog?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

that's where it all began, so in a way that's a step or two backwards where coursing dogs are concerned, however I don't see that as a bad thing at all, this dog produced some top class dogs in the si

big name dogs, usualy have owners who want to be famous, any purpose bred coursing dog will carry big name blood, and if said dog can catch 3, 4, or even 5 hares it can win a match , against any one.

Guaranteed 3out3 daytime bitch done a few 5s some 7s deerhoundgreyxbedxgrey 27 inch rhfd homebreed 1980   

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Great responses lads. 

The best hare dog I ever saw or heard of, was one a mate of mine swapped for a border terrier back in the late 80s, non descript dog but never lost a proper course, the lad was a swapper, one minute canary,s next pigeon loft then terriers then lurches and so on, so no one could claim credit for the dog it was passed around but was a nailer  from day one, he even managed to gain membership to brean coursing club and absolutely wiped the floor with everything they had, won all his events and all the cups at end of year, the thing was lethal, it got swapped for something else the next year sadly 

• Like 1

got a dog out of a lamper x courser mating has killed very good hares in the day on good land so have some of its siblings seen a homebred coursing type with heart of a lion would go over on hes hare before pulling up but dont think these have the style of sommat with abit pf breeding behind it.

• Like 2

the dog in my avatar....Sally....I bought her at melton catle market for £60.....the fella told me he was right in to the matching game and she wasn't good enough....

she was deer/grey x whipp/grey....no saluki in her ...or at least that's what he told me....she was a real speed freak ....but had 3 mins in the tank...and a great mouth..what I mean by that is she tried every opertunity to kill quik..which she inverably did....

I got her in sept 2002 and in feb 2003 she won the windmill double handed coursing cup...in 2004 she came runner up loosing in the final although neither dog killed the hare but she beat  C.Moyes Splodge in the semi final....

I never ran her for money...as ive never had any I could afford to loose...but she beat some good dogs in them two doubled up comps ....

• Like 4

If a dog could only kill hares I'd get rid simple seen plenty satan rory meg Bess patch nipper holly ruby patch connie i could go on another as long as they put up a show and have a go some of the best hare dogs I seen were nothing else fantastic animals at there game though my mate was offered a blank cheque fr his last bitch ?? homebreed by the drover

Edited by Bearfoot
4 hours ago, C.green said:

got a dog out of a lamper x courser mating has killed very good hares in the day on good land so have some of its siblings seen a homebred coursing type with heart of a lion would go over on hes hare before pulling up but dont think these have the style of sommat with abit pf breeding behind it.

that's where it all began, so in a way that's a step or two backwards where coursing dogs are concerned, however I don't see that as a bad thing at all, this dog produced some top class dogs in the sixties and while he did go to a couple of greyhound bitches he also went to several lurchers , I had a bitch from one of these and she was possibly the best hare catcher I ever had, and hare killers came from every litter she had, but as you say she was possibly not as stylish as some of her more refined offspring,  the old saluki dogs sire, was a dog called springbarn sandpiper, and he can be found in the pedigrees of most if not all of the saluki's that have gone into the melting pot to produce, what is the modern coursing dog we have today I was talking to the chap in the photo on Saturday he is seventy four now.

034.JPG

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, C.green said:

But then what ya see good coming off pures these days two crows ?

don't get what you mean there, but I have seen several good dogs bred pure to coursing dog, and have bred three quarter saluki's in the past that made good dogs, but you don't here of pures going to lurchers these days, s don't know about that mate.

a lot of history gets distorted through time and rose tinted glasses, the shear numbers of hares around in the 80s made good hare dogs more common because hares were everywhere, I remember targets of 100 in a season back in the day, now I probably see 10 a year on a good year, ✌️

• Like 2