50 pence in the back of the telly

Used to stay up late on Saturdays and watch tales of the unexpected and hammer house of horrors , mam and dad used to roll in from the pub with a bags of chips wrapped in news paper salt and vinegar , tasted brill ?

• Like 4

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to see Big Daddy wrestling at crowtree leisure centre in sunderland when I was a kid,i still remember some old doris hitting him with her handbag when he was against the ropes ? easy....easy...

Same as me and my brother ....our sister refereed because she was the oldest and could kick f**k out of both of us ?

Posted Images

6 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

The big names I remember were Kendo Nagasaki, Mick McManners , Jackie Pallow , Giant Haystacks, and of course none of it was rehearsed, it was the real deal ? My NaN lived with us when I was w kid and she was mad for the wrestling, she used to get out of her chair and wave her walking stick at the telly , she hated Mick McManners 

I remember that deaf and dumb wrestler but cannot remember his name got told he was an handful in a punch up he also worked the doors .

7 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

wrestling on Sunday afternoons.....?

That brings back memories mate..

Was living in Bristol mum was on her own so worked loads to support us, she worked in an old people's home. If she was working a weekend shift me and my brother would have all our mates in the house, we'd take the cushions off the sofa and chairs, spread them.around the floor and wrestle whilst it was on.. fight over who was big daddy or giant haystacks lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 4
22 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

That brings back memories mate..

Was living in Bristol mum was on her own so worked loads to support us, she worked in an old people's home. If she was working a weekend shift me and my brother would have all our mates in the house, we'd take the cushions off the sofa and chairs, spread them.around the floor and wrestle whilst it was on.. fight over who was big daddy or giant haystacks lol

Me and my two cousins used to have boxing matches 2 fighting I ref/corner man , .. the ref did more damage with the vic nasle tube shoved up your nose than the punches ?

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Me and my two cousins used to have boxing matches 2 fighting I ref/corner man , .. the ref did more damage with the vic nasle tube shoved up your nose than the punches ?

We used to unzip the cushion on the sofa and put our hands in them, zip the back up around your wrist/elbow (depending on size of arm or cushion lol) then knock 7 shades of shit out of each other pretending we were Marvin Haggler lol...

Edited by NEWKID

My grandad was born in Wigan his best mate was Bill billington uncle Bill as we called him the dad to one of the British bulldogs from what he told me they were a fighting family with a rep Bill was a geninue hard man but a total gentlemen I believe his son ended up in a wheel chair through his wrestling and lost millions 

20 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

My grandad was born in Wigan his best mate was Bill billington uncle Bill as we called him the dad to one of the British bulldogs from what he told me they were a fighting family with a rep Bill was a geninue hard man but a total gentlemen I believe his son ended up in a wheel chair through his wrestling and lost millions 

The british bulldog was from Golbourne near wigan and died age 39.Bill billington was the british bulldogs uncle and kid dynamites dad who as you rightly say ended up in a wheelchair and died age 60.

Edited by darbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, darbo said:

The british bulldog was from Golbourne near wigan and died age 39.

I'm not sure what area darbo but my grandad was from Wigan he was more interested in ruby but watched wrestling because of Bill what did he die of out of interest 

5 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I'm not sure what area darbo but my grandad was from Wigan he was more interested in ruby but watched wrestling because of Bill what did he die of out of interest 

i live a couple of miles away and some of my work mates knew the british bulldog davy smith growing up. He died of a heart attack.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Davey Boy Smith died of a heart attack at 39. They couldn't find the exact reason what caused it but attributed to steroid use.