Opinions on the Norfolk lurcher?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the thread was about mick duglas ......think hes been dead a good few years now ...he bred dogs back in the 80's folk are getting confused with jeff burrel ...who breeds Norfolk ..and tumblers...

you know though ...I read them tales of the old gamkeepers books....and a few other ones older......and they all complained about how tuff it was etc.....but then when you looked at what they got.....

Well that's fuckun gratitude for you isn't it, Jeff's spent the last 800 years of his life refining this line, and you can't come up with less than one pound note per year for a pup be fukced 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Yeah that's what I mean. As far as I can see, there were at least half a dozen 'norfolk' type lurchers.

I know about walking everywhere in the 70's lol ?

We have had the norfolks ,they were little more than pot type jukels some were OK on the lamp some not picking and choosing sounds familiar,we xs end them out ta a greyhound and they were ma far better jukel losing very little stamina stamina only matters if they're willing ta rum and keep,running. Them we had a good brindle bitch she got chores stolen call it what ya will ,we had the straw coloured rough uns they were wanting in comparission ta the jukels bred from them back ta hound types..those Burrell types old pal had two both very poor,but this his recent times last fifteen yrs maybey bit less sad ta say they were disposed off both cost three fifty .pal had em thinking they would be at least same calibre if earlier types sadly they were not  one needs ta remember evolution plays a massive part in any animals ability to stay in existence ,one haas ta move a type foreward..atb bill

2 minutes ago, billhardy said:

We have had the norfolks ,they were little more than pot type jukels some were OK on the lamp some not picking and choosing sounds familiar,we xs end them out ta a greyhound and they were ma far better jukel losing very little stamina stamina only matters if they're willing ta rum and keep,running. Them we had a good brindle bitch she got chores stolen call it what ya will ,we had the straw coloured rough uns they were wanting in comparission ta the jukels bred from them back ta hound types..those Burrell types old pal had two both very poor,but this his recent times last fifteen yrs maybey bit less sad ta say they were disposed off both cost three fifty .pal had em thinking they would be at least same calibre if earlier types sadly they were not  one needs ta remember evolution plays a massive part in any animals ability to stay in existence ,one haas ta move a type foreward..atb bill

Yeah, couldn't agree more ? ?

8 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

It’s okay saying that but most allround farm dogs will do more sheep than anything else, unless ye live on a ranch in America ? an if a sheep dog can’t work sheep then why fcuk use it when there will be one that can?

Ya jdont get my drift katchum ,what it means fa you has I need ta spell it out a modern type collie dog has far two much eye and are not versatile collie dogs mostly the opposite two many bred ta trailing  working sheep in ain't much of a challenge da cur bred oldie.atb bill

I liked the replay by two crows about people not traveling to far be it dog,horse,canary each county had its own type I agree fella ??. It’s got me thinking more because people always say dogs back then were good real tough as old boots type that could fill the larder regular an kept it full but in modern times were hard pushed to keep continuous good dogs for the job it’s always hit an miss in modern times when one dogs carrer as ended getting the next pup to bring on to take the dogs place it’s got me thinking that county bred dogs being so close related had something to do with it almost like being none intentionally line bred for the job in hand without there selfs actually knowing they were doing it an eliminating by ironing out the shit as they went along as all the dogs in the county are close related yet today in modern times we will travel the country to use a random handy dog an hope the breeding jells producing good working dogs got me thinking that the old ways seemed the best ways of doing things being close bred as the control over what was produced to work that area ? 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

It’s okay saying that but most allround farm dogs will do more sheep than anything else, unless ye live on a ranch in America ? an if a sheep dog can’t work sheep then why fcuk use it when there will be one that 

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

No I get what ye say, but them collies ye talk of ain’t farm dogs mate they are trial dogs, an there is none of them on any the farms I work on or visit, fcuk they wouldn’t last a morning ? but the yard dogs we have are second to none on the sheep duties but can also be used for lots other jobs?9AD9541E-6C31-41A0-A438-6B99D1699907.jpeg.4a5354e018edccbcda945d49d8cb6053.jpeg

that ole dog can do anything them trialing dogs can do an more, night get beat at a trial but would still do job an a lot more when he got back to yard?3C96E6B9-5763-4233-8960-85424C79BDA3.jpeg.7e671b18d9b2a50bbd0bc615cf4b3558.jpeg9E3BE601-078B-482D-BFA6-63EFE934BD6F.jpeg.8519ad282cc4fa9189ab5f5aa970fb02.jpeg

that is a younger dog that shepherds son owns, only a sapling but fcuk me can it graft, lad was left with only that dog when it was only few months old an the youngster stepped up an proved his worth, an due to the workload put in him he is streets ahead of the rest of litter who have   Been able to grow up slower if that makes sense ?

said it before but but if I was after a first cross, I’d use that older dog in a heartbeat ?

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

No I get what ye say, but them collies ye talk of ain’t farm dogs mate they are trial dogs, an there is none of them on any the farms I work on or visit, fcuk they wouldn’t last a morning ? but the yard dogs we have are second to none on the sheep duties but can also be used for lots other jobs?9AD9541E-6C31-41A0-A438-6B99D1699907.jpeg.4a5354e018edccbcda945d49d8cb6053.jpeg

that ole dog can do anything them trialing dogs can do an more, night get beat at a trial but would still do job an a lot more when he got back to yard?3C96E6B9-5763-4233-8960-85424C79BDA3.jpeg.7e671b18d9b2a50bbd0bc615cf4b3558.jpeg9E3BE601-078B-482D-BFA6-63EFE934BD6F.jpeg.8519ad282cc4fa9189ab5f5aa970fb02.jpeg

that is a younger dog that shepherds son owns, only a sapling but fcuk me can it graft, lad was left with only that dog when it was only few months old an the youngster stepped up an proved his worth, an due to the workload put in him he is streets ahead of the rest of litter who have   Been able to grow up slower if that makes sense ?

said it before but but if I was after a first cross, I’d use that older dog in a heartbeat ?

There yas go then yas were on the same page then the want ya lol atb bill

1 minute ago, poxon said:

I liked the replay by two crows about people not traveling to far be it dog,horse,canary each county had its own type I agree fella ??. It’s got me thinking more because people always say dogs back then were good real tough as old boots type that could fill the larder regular an kept it full but in modern times were hard pushed to keep continuous good dogs for the job it’s always hit an miss in modern times when one dogs carrer as ended getting the next pup to bring on to take the dogs place it’s got me thinking that county bred dogs being so close related had something to do with it almost like being none intentionally line bred for the job in hand without there selfs actually knowing they were doing it an eliminating by ironing out the shit as they went along as all the dogs in the county are close related yet today in modern times we will travel the country to use a random handy dog an hope the breeding jells producing good working dogs got me thinking that the old ways seemed the best ways of doing things being close bred as the control over what was produced to work that area ? 

Travelling areas da certain studs fa certain disciplines on same said similar land sounds fine and works bug a jukel bred and bred fa the country it's gonna be spending most of its working life his pretty much essential up and down the uk invites etc his pretty much a modern thing .atb bill

• Like 1

Good pics them Katchum, love to see 'genuine' working dogs.

Getting back to Two Crows post, couldn't agree more. In past times, Lurcher production was always governed by geography and ANY dog that might produce, was used in areas that were predominantly arable. I've never bought into ideal that the 'traditional' lurcher is being collie, or sheep dog bred...

Read Ted Walshes Poachers Companion book, which is a collection of old poachers tales from history, all put into one book. It highlights a variety of lurcher crosses and types, all wrote about long ago.

Dont get me wrong, pastoral blooded dogs were very prominent, those that had access knew their worth BUT that wasn't the case all over the country and what was available was used...

51 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Good pics them Katchum, love to see 'genuine' working dogs.

Getting back to Two Crows post, couldn't agree more. In past times, Lurcher production was always governed by geography and ANY dog that might produce, was used in areas that were predominantly arable. I've never bought into ideal that the 'traditional' lurcher is being collie, or sheep dog bred...

Read Ted Walshes Poachers Companion book, which is a collection of old poachers tales from history, all put into one book. It highlights a variety of lurcher crosses and types, all wrote about long ago.

Dont get me wrong, pastoral blooded dogs were very prominent, those that had access knew their worth BUT that wasn't the case all over the country and what was available was used...

?

go back to the time of them warrener's,  and I don't suppose the choice was massive either, it was sheepdog, guard dog, or terrier, not much ornamental stuff, so every thing was working, once you got your first cross you just took your bitch to best dog doing the job local, the result was success, we overthink things now. 

• Like 7

tell you what else we here to much as well, about this dog and that dog, and don't look under our noses, and also pride can stop you using a good dog because of who owns it. (although I am sure that's all ways been the case) o and katchem you can always give me a like later lol.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, two crows said:

go back to the time of them warrener's,  and I don't suppose the choice was massive either, it was sheepdog, guard dog, or terrier, not much ornamental stuff, so every thing was working, once you got your first cross you just took your bitch to best dog doing the job local, the result was success, we overthink things now. 

You go back to 50s befor  the motorways ,it wasn't easy to get about back then ,

most who had a lurcher would have got it local and worker to worker .

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

You go back to 50s befor  the motorways ,it wasn't easy to get about back then ,

most who had a lurcher would have got it local and worker to worker .

i said that very thing a post or to back we walked the ten or twelve miles and back I was 11/12 years old and went with mick lowed  my future wife's uncle and he walked like f**k I was knackered and remember it like yesterday. this is mick picking his pup.

033.JPG

Edited by two crows
  • Like 5
18 hours ago, TOMO said:

pete betts was the head keeper then tats.....he hated dog lads...mind I think Welbeck being surrounded by pit villages and poaching miners had something to do with it...funny enough the two underkeeps I was working with had poached it as young lads....they told me never tell pete.....he was head keeper at a young age early 30's....

he died about 10 years ago from cancer I think....one of the lads on moochers told me...dingo dancer from worksop...

but your right tats ...Welbeck was very hot for anybody chancing there arm...

A couple of mates got nicked and prosecuted ferreting on an old ash tip near the estate by them in the early 80s.

2 hours ago, two crows said:

i said that very thing a post or to back we walked the ten or twelve miles and back I was 11/12 years old and went with mick lowed  my future wife's uncle and he walked like f**k I was knackered and remember it like yesterday. this is mick picking his pup.

033.JPG

Did the pup go on to make a grafter ,

back then it was about making due with what you got ,not saying they wasn't better or worse than juckels today .but no way would they b all the xs ya see today ,and if you did find a pup other side uk it was sent by train ,never see parents just taken the mans word they are what he says .

to many dogs are given up on far to early today ,it wouldn't have happened so often back then.

like man it would have to earn its keep ,just the way it should be .

the dogs haven't changed so much but the folk who keep them 

• Like 2