Fishing Competition 2019

7 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Whack some flats on it mate by far the easiest to get along with, two ways of doing it though I’m sure you could find something to use as plugs instead of buying them, if you pm me your address I’ll make you up a couple of sets and send them up, but if your worried about me turning up eBay does them ??

Nice 1 mate i pm my address let me know what postage an whatnot pal 

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right Lads First Thanks to everyone who attended, helped, organised and generally made the effort again to make this a success. No one ever comes to this weekend and doesn't generally muck i

Another cracking weekend...everyone was on top form, and all put their hands in their pockets to raise another fair lump.of money considering we're just a group of blokes in a field! I'm not long

Main problem is rivers are unpredictable. If we fished a river this year we would have had trees coming past due to the amount of rain. The comp was the idea of Arch, Wilf and me and your ri

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sid g said:

I feel a bit lost tonight no beer , no Barbie ,no dogs in season, no fishing ,no rain,  ----- and I`ve got the mrs for company ,?

All about re-acclimatisation lol, I've had a shower in my own shower, a dump in my own bog, couple of pints in my local pub and walked the dogs on a local walk.

Had tea sat in my own chair, it's hard to adjust.

Socks was the same when he came back from 'Nam.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Right Lads

First Thanks to everyone who attended, helped, organised and generally made the effort again to make this a success.

No one ever comes to this weekend and doesn't generally muck in and make the event what it is, we know it's only a small gathering of hairy assed hunters off a site, but it's kept going for 7 years and that's down to everyone making the effort to travel huge distance (well not me!! lol), bring food, drink, prizes, cool boxes, barbies, chairs etc  etc.

We're on £1200 for this weekend, there are a couple of lads that owe a bit to the pot, I've got the cash and it will be in the bank tomorrow and paid onto the link, the virgin giving link is below.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/KEVINMcGuinness6

If anyone wants to add to the pot that's great and thank you.

As my previous post, the charity is a bit of a personal one as Graham and Mary were a big part of my growing up, their lad David was only 7 or 8 when I used to take him fishing and now he owns a cracking fishery of his own... how it all changes eh! lol

I fished loads with Graham when I was a teenager and Mary was like a 2nd mum, all the lads who attend the comp will say how she treats you, nothing is too much trouble, they are just great people.

It's been a tough time for them all with Graham being so ill, it was great he fished the match with us as I know it was tough for him.

Force Cancer Charity is a very fitting one this year and a big thanks to Sean (Daniel Cain) for allowing us to choose it as the winner always picks, thanks mate.

Dave and his wife Nirima make the whole weekend very easy for us, they are the most hospitable of people and to be honest I think we would be hard pushed to find anywhere that treats us so well. From the cooked breakfast each morning to the relaxed manner regards the dogs, our late night bbqs and talking/drinking around the fire pit they enjoy the event as much as we do so I can't thank them enough for the effort they put in for us.

Lads were arriving in Devon from Wednesday night, Bud (Mick) and his 2 kids, Callum and Olivia, braved the weather from Wednesday and made the most of the trip down to Devon. Mick isn't on here but has came to a couple of comps now through his friendship with Joe, his pheasant sausages on Friday night were top notch and the 2 home made coat hangers made from solid oak with cartridge casings as the coat pegs were really smart., thanks for the effort mate.

Friday was a complete wash out, I was running around like a twat (last minute as ever), whilst SeanC was sending me picks of the lads huddled in Arry's awning drinking cider, the weekend was under way.

The rain didn't stop all day and most of the night, we managed to get the fire pit lit and got jacket potatoes on the embers, they came out pretty good, SeanC had brought some roast chicken, we cooked up Bean on Robbos stove, the kids grated cheese and dinner was served out of the back of my work van... not fine cuisine by any stretch but was perfect for us... the rain stopped long enough for us to sit around the fire pit have a cider and a yap... it was a decent night in the end.

We planned to fish the Teign estuary on Saturday morning, but with the amount of rain and the wind being too strong for the lads to collect live eels it was called off, Me, Johnny boy Fin and Kane had a walk down the tidal Exe with the dogs and it was tanking through, there were trees floating past us and the main weir had collapsed in places, certainly no chance of fishing a river.

So we all sat down on one of the ponds and caught a few fish, Arry and Sid G were catching carp on the top pond with Daniel Cain (last years winner showing them the way.!!)

I had the kids fishing with me, Geth (White Van Man) had brought his 2 lads Oliver and Jacob, Kane (Johnnyboys lad) was with me and Finley , they took turns on the box and all caught a carp or tench, young Oliver was hooked and I think thats it now he's an angler.... Geths wallet will take a hammering now!! lol

In the Evening Socks and Dan turned up, we got the BBQ going and Joe produced some chicken and Pork he had marinaded, the meat was lovely, Mary brought us down potato salad and a rice salad she had made, we ste up a big table and filled it with food... lit the fire pit and Sean (Daniel Cain) put some music on, it stayed dry and again we had a good yap around the fire drinking and talking shit..... perfect!

Around midnight I heard "Aye up", looked round and Bob had arrived, fair play mate... it's a massive drive for you and we knew it was your wifes birthday, to make it down was a massive effort, but you've never missed a weekend.

Me. Bob and Dave (Sid G) sat around the fire pit until too late... 3-30 I think?? waking up for the comp the next morning was hard work!! lol

The morning of the comp starts with fry up all round, we draw pegs and the banter begins.... the piss taking is always good...

Sean was odds on favourite, winning it the year before and drawing the near enough the same place... plus he'd caught a few the day before... he ran to his peg like a kid on Christmas morning....... 5 hours later without a fish in the net the wooded spoon (pink dressing gown) was his lol...

All the lads on the top lake struggled, it is a shallow carp lake and they were all getting smashed up, the fish aren't particularly big but they hit and run.... it's hold on or get snagged.

Arry had a decent day with 6 carp.... winning the lake... but Johnnyboy picked up the trophy for biggest fish with a carp of 6lb 10oz, again he got smashed up a few times but stuck at it... well done mate.

Socks managed a carp and a few bits and Sid G had a few small bits but was smashed up by carp, he had caught a few the day before and now has the bug!

The lower lake has very few carp in it, it is a decent lake to match fish on and everyone caught fish,

SeanC was making a big scene showing off by making his bream jump, every 30 minutes or so he'd have another decent slab crashing lol..... Sean finished on 25lb and took 3rd place... well done mate, you fished well.

Robbo was as ever steadily catching fish, he was on the opposite corner to me and I could see he was netting the majority, he caught some decent bream, but the roach and crucians in his net were the stand out fish for me, really nice fish he finished with just under 28lb for 2nd place.. I know you enjoyed your day mate, it's your sort of fishing.

I pulled the corner peg and knew you could catch a few in there, it was steady all day to be fair, lots of bream, tench and a few crucians and roach. There was the odd period when it went quiet, I alternated a bit and kept the feed going in.... Sean hadn't seen me catch that many fish and called me a sneaky git when I pulled the net in, I weighed in 44lb, it was a really enjoyable days fishing to be honest.

As said everyone had fish, Luke (Bullmastiff) was happy in the sun with a cider and caught some nice bream, Bob had a decent netful with a cracking rudd in there, Dytkos (Dave) was steady all day and had some nice fish, it was great to have Graham fish with us and he had 14lb of fish as well.

The fishing was pretty good to be honest.

The best night is the Sunday night and this one was one of my favourites, Johhny was as good as ever as our auctioneer supreme, there was great banter right through, the coin toss was followed by a new game, heads and tails, Sid G introduced this one... simple enough all put a pound in, you then make a choice of heads or tails by touching your head or your ass, Sid G flips a coin and if you've chose right you stay in, the last one standing wins a tenner... Dytkos' dance moves on the first round seen him win lol.... between the coin toss and head and tails £150 went in the pot!!

The prizes donated were brilliant again, every year the prizes are great...cheers to everyone on this.

The kids were great with sorting the raffle tickets, helping Johnny etc....

The BBQ this night was top notch, the meat was as good as ever, Thanks Dan most appreciated, And Joes wife (Ofelia) had made chilli jam which was perfect with the meat...

Same drill again, fire pit, food, drink, talk shit until the early hours!! lol

Well it's another year done, this was a really good one, the rain could've f****d it but we turned it around into a good do....

Thanks again to all...

Kev 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
19 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Right Lads

First Thanks to everyone who attended, helped, organised and generally made the effort again to make this a success.

No one ever comes to this weekend and doesn't generally muck in and make the event what it is, we know it's only a small gathering of hairy assed hunters off a site, but it's kept going for 7 years and that's down to everyone making the effort to travel huge distance (well not me!! lol), bring food, drink, prizes, cool boxes, barbies, chairs etc  etc.

We're on £1200 for this weekend, there are a couple of lads that owe a bit to the pot, I've got the cash and it will be in the bank tomorrow and paid onto the link, the virgin giving link is below.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/KEVINMcGuinness6

If anyone wants to add to the pot that's great and thank you.

As my previous post, the charity is a bit of a personal one as Graham and Mary were a big part of my growing up, their lad David was only 7 or 8 when I used to take him fishing and now he owns a cracking fishery of his own... how it all changes eh! lol

I fished loads with Graham when I was a teenager and Mary was like a 2nd mum, all the lads who attend the comp will say how she treats you, nothing is too much trouble, they are just great people.

It's been a tough time for them all with Graham being so ill, it was great he fished the match with us as I know it was tough for him.

Force Cancer Charity is a very fitting one this year and a big thanks to Sean (Daniel Cain) for allowing us to choose it as the winner always picks, thanks mate.

Dave and his wife Nirima make the whole weekend very easy for us, they are the most hospitable of people and to be honest I think we would be hard pushed to find anywhere that treats us so well. From the cooked breakfast each morning to the relaxed manner regards the dogs, our late night bbqs and talking/drinking around the fire pit they enjoy the event as much as we do so I can't thank them enough for the effort they put in for us.

Lads were arriving in Devon from Wednesday night, Bud (Mick) and his 2 kids, Callum and Olivia, braved the weather from Wednesday and made the most of the trip down to Devon. Mick isn't on here but has came to a couple of comps now through his friendship with Joe, his pheasant sausages on Friday night were top notch and the 2 home made coat hangers made from solid oak with cartridge casings as the coat pegs were really smart., thanks for the effort mate.

Friday was a complete wash out, I was running around like a twat (last minute as ever), whilst SeanC was sending me picks of the lads huddled in Arry's awning drinking cider, the weekend was under way.

The rain didn't stop all day and most of the night, we managed to get the fire pit lit and got jacket potatoes on the embers, they came out pretty good, SeanC had brought some roast chicken, we cooked up Bean on Robbos stove, the kids grated cheese and dinner was served out of the back of my work van... not fine cuisine by any stretch but was perfect for us... the rain stopped long enough for us to sit around the fire pit have a cider and a yap... it was a decent night in the end.

We planned to fish the Teign estuary on Saturday morning, but with the amount of rain and the wind being too strong for the lads to collect live eels it was called off, Me, Johnny boy Fin and Kane had a walk down the tidal Exe with the dogs and it was tanking through, there were trees floating past us and the main weir had collapsed in places, certainly no chance of fishing a river.

So we all sat down on one of the ponds and caught a few fish, Arry and Sid G were catching carp on the top pond with Daniel Cain (last years winner showing them the way.!!)

I had the kids fishing with me, Geth (White Van Man) had brought his 2 lads Oliver and Jacob, Kane (Johnnyboys lad) was with me and Finley , they took turns on the box and all caught a carp or tench, young Oliver was hooked and I think thats it now he's an angler.... Geths wallet will take a hammering now!! lol

In the Evening Socks and Dan turned up, we got the BBQ going and Joe produced some chicken and Pork he had marinaded, the meat was lovely, Mary brought us down potato salad and a rice salad she had made, we ste up a big table and filled it with food... lit the fire pit and Sean (Daniel Cain) put some music on, it stayed dry and again we had a good yap around the fire drinking and talking shit..... perfect!

Around midnight I heard "Aye up", looked round and Bob had arrived, fair play mate... it's a massive drive for you and we knew it was your wifes birthday, to make it down was a massive effort, but you've never missed a weekend.

Me. Bob and Dave (Sid G) sat around the fire pit until too late... 3-30 I think?? waking up for the comp the next morning was hard work!! lol

The morning of the comp starts with fry up all round, we draw pegs and the banter begins.... the piss taking is always good...

Sean was odds on favourite, winning it the year before and drawing the near enough the same place... plus he'd caught a few the day before... he ran to his peg like a kid on Christmas morning....... 5 hours later without a fish in the net the wooded spoon (pink dressing gown) was his lol...

All the lads on the top lake struggled, it is a shallow carp lake and they were all getting smashed up, the fish aren't particularly big but they hit and run.... it's hold on or get snagged.

Arry had a decent day with 6 carp.... winning the lake... but Johnnyboy picked up the trophy for biggest fish with a carp of 6lb 10oz, again he got smashed up a few times but stuck at it... well done mate.

Socks managed a carp and a few bits and Sid G had a few small bits but was smashed up by carp, he had caught a few the day before and now has the bug!

The lower lake has very few carp in it, it is a decent lake to match fish on and everyone caught fish,

SeanC was making a big scene showing off by making his bream jump, every 30 minutes or so he'd have another decent slab crashing lol..... Sean finished on 25lb and took 3rd place... well done mate, you fished well.

Robbo was as ever steadily catching fish, he was on the opposite corner to me and I could see he was netting the majority, he caught some decent bream, but the roach and crucians in his net were the stand out fish for me, really nice fish he finished with just under 28lb for 2nd place.. I know you enjoyed your day mate, it's your sort of fishing.

I pulled the corner peg and knew you could catch a few in there, it was steady all day to be fair, lots of bream, tench and a few crucians and roach. There was the odd period when it went quiet, I alternated a bit and kept the feed going in.... Sean hadn't seen me catch that many fish and called me a sneaky git when I pulled the net in, I weighed in 44lb, it was a really enjoyable days fishing to be honest.

As said everyone had fish, Luke (Bullmastiff) was happy in the sun with a cider and caught some nice bream, Bob had a decent netful with a cracking rudd in there, Dytkos (Dave) was steady all day and had some nice fish, it was great to have Graham fish with us and he had 14lb of fish as well.

The fishing was pretty good to be honest.

The best night is the Sunday night and this one was one of my favourites, Johhny was as good as ever as our auctioneer supreme, there was great banter right through, the coin toss was followed by a new game, heads and tails, Sid G introduced this one... simple enough all put a pound in, you then make a choice of heads or tails by touching your head or your ass, Sid G flips a coin and if you've chose right you stay in, the last one standing wins a tenner... Dytkos' dance moves on the first round seen him win lol.... between the coin toss and head and tails £150 went in the pot!!

The prizes donated were brilliant again, every year the prizes are great...cheers to everyone on this.

The kids were great with sorting the raffle tickets, helping Johnny etc....

The BBQ this night was top notch, the meat was as good as ever, Thanks Dan most appreciated, And Joes wife (Ofelia) had made chilli jam which was perfect with the meat...

Same drill again, fire pit, food, drink, talk shit until the early hours!! lol

Well it's another year done, this was a really good one, the rain could've f****d it but we turned it around into a good do....

Thanks again to all...

Kev 

Yet another great write up of the weekend Kev :clapper:

:clapper:to all those who attended and made the weekend a success yet again. 

Sorry I couldn't make it but hopefully one of the lads from the other forum put you in the picture, 1st one I've missed! I'll be adding to the charity and hopefully all going well see you all next year ?

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, liP said:

Yet another great write up of the weekend Kev :clapper:

:clapper:to all those who attended and made the weekend a success yet again. 

Sorry I couldn't make it but hopefully one of the lads from the other forum put you in the picture, 1st one I've missed! I'll be adding to the charity and hopefully all going well see you all next year ?

I'll give you a bell mate, Dave told me the situation... speak soon mate

• Like 1

Brilliant weekend. Thanks to all and especially Kev. Great venue and friendly hosts. The boys got stuck in and had a cracking 2 days fishing. Oliver has made a friend for life in Arry! 

It would be great to get more kids there next year and get them going. Nothings too much hassle for anyone when it comes to setting the kids up with kit and getting them going. We will definitely be there next year. The smiles say it all! 

D14FB0F9-5433-4143-A83F-32012CC1D7F5.jpeg

8FD9B0AF-10EB-4DF5-90E0-ED90EBC66075.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great write up Kev, your memory is clearer than mine of the first night, brought it all back though. Good banter, Good food, Bloody good fire, Good Beer etc and best of all Bloody Good company. Thanks to every one for making me feel welcome on my first comp.

It was nice to put a faces to the handles so the speak.

A really good weekend and can recommend it to any body who maybe can't decide wether to come or not. It's a fantastic venue and although very close to Exeter you would not know it, A little valley in the countryside.

One thing I would like to say is how polite and well mannered all the kids were, some real characters.

I seem to be out of likes only done 2 today, still don't know how they work. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 4

brilliant write up Kev?be nice if a few more members make the effort next time....everyone's welcome,will be shown the love?shout out to all the kids that mucked in and made the weekend ...having us all in stitches with laughter?everyone who donated to a damn good cause.Cant wait to redeem myself next yr and enjoy the craic again with true friends???

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

brilliant write up Kev?be nice if a few more members make the effort next time....everyone's welcome,will be shown the love?shout out to all the kids that mucked in and made the weekend ...having us all in stitches with laughter?everyone who donated to a damn good cause.Cant wait to redeem myself next yr and enjoy the craic again with true friends???

Out of likes mate. so?????

Got your like now. No idea how like allocation works.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry