Worst mole trap ever, for me ! (Putange)

24 minutes ago, tilimangro said:

I offered repeatedly to give you a set of putanges(same ones pretty much everyone else uses )

no no they aren’t for you 

You emailed the ukputangesupplies company to tell them you would never use them(I’ve seen the email)

then you buy a pair and can’t operate them 

I wonder who is the halfwit really

The bloke who has consistently tried and repeatedly failed to demonstrate that Putanges are rubbish is my bet

( a hint for the hard of understanding like yourself ,I’m talking about you)

You’re obsessed with them 

your desperate for them to not be any good

you even regurgitate jeffs lies about how inhumane they are

(they aren’t )

On the contrary mate, i strongly feel that you've been constantly trying to prove their worth to me here ! (honestly),....& Jeff's , well entitled to his opinion, ok ?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just popped in to settle a few points. The OP, Mr. McWhinney has made a right tool of himself sending threatening emails to the ebay seller after he unsuccessfully tried to blag the name of the manufa

Mole-catching is a testosterone-fuelled and very serious business. You have to be tough to tackle a mole(a big male can reach seven inches and tear a worm apart in seconds!),and defend your methods,tr

? earth thrower. I know you'll be reading! ?

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Correct , or that humane (in my opinion) & they filled a gap, when i had no decent Duffus at the time. Hence i only used them one season ? 

After all I wasn't going to go back to the scissors ! (Eliza style or Fenn) & I forgot how you mentioned about how "humane" the wee Fenn was , before ? ?

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Nicepix said:

I understand that you were offered a full refund for the return of the traps. You declined that offer asking to keep the traps you so obviously dislike but wanted a partial refund of £10. The e-mails can be published if there is any contradiction.

I am not going to engage in a prolonged debate with you as your position is like a pile of slime;  no form or substance and when you put pressure on it just oozes out of the cracks and slides away. There is enough already posted on here by others to show you as you are.

You appear to have opinions about my practices. Perhaps if you could evidence your concerns with facts I might take you seriously.  But making positive contributions isn't really your strong point so I won't hold my breath. If you evidence your concerns I will respond. If you cannot then I'll file your comments in the Troll folder.

"opinions" , "facts" ,"evidence", "practises" etc ?,.....i already tried on You Tube, & your oblivious, its what you believe, etc ? (why could i sway you ?) Just like to let the ' experts'  know , i disagree on occasion !

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, earth-thrower said:

"opinions" , "facts" ,"evidence", "practises" etc ?,.....i already tried on You Tube, & your oblivious, its what you believe, etc ? (why could i sway you ?) Just like to let the ' experts'  know , i disagree on occasion !

You made comments about putanges, all negative, over two years before you actually bought some to try. Why would I or anyone else be swayed by your opinions? Despite your dislike of these traps you seem to be obsessed with them and see them as a challenge to your, ahem, experience for what it is. As you have never used them you cannot comment about their efficiency or the humane way they catch moles. Your earlier comment questioning one of the captures shows your naivety. Anyone who uses these traps will have seen just how humane they are. The chances of a foul capture with a Putange are far less than with tunnel traps or Talpex in my experience.

Now a question for those who use 'traditional' traps; are they as humane as modern tunnel traps such as Flatpack that have been tuned for efficiency?

• Like 1

Interestingly the guild of mole trappers are seemingly  engaged in a campaign to get most traps banned(except of course the one they endorse )

in correspondence I’ve seen between the guild and the guy running the putange company they refuse to answer as to wether they’ve handled or used putange in order to be able to make the same distinction

Anyone who’s ever used putange and caught can verify the kill is very quick and humane

either blow to the head ,engine room or cervical spine break

they were offered a competition between their trap and the putange and they went very very quiet after that

another thing worth noting about the trap they endorse is it seems the money paid for the trap goes directly to the guild secretary Martin noble

id say there’s a slight conflict of interest there

they endorse a trap they profit from

i think the putange is the most efficient trap for moles I’ve ever used

i suspect they know that too

• Like 2

Putanges have been in use for over 300 years and so there is absolutely no chance of anyone registering the design or patenting them. There are also many variations of the design. That makes it harder for anyone to champion this type of trap as there isn't the monetary incentive. At the end of the day it should be up to Ministry officials to determine what type of trap is humane or not, but given the results of a similar test a few years ago the results are swayed by their lack of experience and knowledge. Also, the only trap I've found that can be used efficiently straight out of the box is the Talpex. Even then I prefer to polish the tip of the rod and hole. The latest Flatpack tunnel traps I received about three years ago required serious work. At least with the putanges it is only a matter of tying on the trigger.

In around five years of using the putanges I have had three foul captures; one by the wrist, one by the 'finger nail' and one by the very tip of its nose. I don't use them all the time as some soil types are better suited to Talpex or tunnel traps. But at any one time I've got over 200 putanges permanently in the ground so that is a fair sample. 

I wonder what Jeff Nicholls or the Guild would say about using 19th century traps when efficient modern traps are available?

The little Traplines from the States are also good 'out of the box's. No tweaks required. A much maligned trap, mainly on account of its price over here, but apart from that I find it very useful.

My go-to trap is the putangue and I rate it highly. It suits the grounds I work and very few of the kills are anything but instant. The ability to make a triple or sometime quadruple set in a single location is invaluable. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, tilimangro said:

Interestingly the guild of mole trappers are seemingly  engaged in a campaign to get most traps banned(except of course the one they endorse )

in correspondence I’ve seen between the guild and the guy running the putange company they refuse to answer as to wether they’ve handled or used putange in order to be able to make the same distinction

Anyone who’s ever used putange and caught can verify the kill is very quick and humane

they were offered a competition between their trap and the putange and they went very very quiet after that

another thing worth noting about the trap they endorse is it seems the money paid for the trap goes directly to the guild secretary Martin noble

Great post

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Nicepix said:

You made comments about putanges, all negative, over two years before you actually bought some to try. Why would I or anyone else be swayed by your opinions? Despite your dislike of these traps you seem to be obsessed with them and see them as a challenge to your, ahem, experience for what it is. As you have never used them you cannot comment about their efficiency or the humane way they catch moles. Your earlier comment questioning one of the captures shows your naivety. Anyone who uses these traps will have seen just how humane they are. The chances of a foul capture with a Putange are far less than with tunnel traps or Talpex in my experience.

Now a question for those who use 'traditional' traps; are they as humane as modern tunnel traps such as Flatpack that have been tuned for efficiency?

Im "obsessed" with the Putange ??  lol,....im not f***ing interested in them !,... & " i see them as a challenge to my experience, for what it is" ?? ,......I imagine they are all too easy to work with , & a "piece of piss" to install , thats why folk use them !,......so dont f***ing talk shite here , Clive.   & my own " experience" mole catching is long & varied , & certainly no less than yours, (guaranteed that, for the f***ing way you go on,....lol),........now your last sentence, is a good question, & a legitimate one. There can be very few of us who use "traditional traps", & im reasonably confident that the moles succumb quickly, in the ones i use. (ive seen no evidence otherwise of moles struggling, or fighting the trap, etc) That double spring is very strong , & i have tried to modify mine further, a few ways, to help ensure this sort of outcome, & too suit my own requirements in a trap. Alas though they are not entirely immune, from a 'foul capture',...but this is rare in my experience.  So,  "are they as humane as modern tunnel traps such as Flatpack",....the version i use, yes, (& possibly ever so slightly better !),...........but remember, some on here are telling us the half-barrels are inhumane !   lol ,........

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, tilimangro said:

I think you overestimate Jeff, & the Guilds influence, & you are over worrying , or panicking incase your restricted from using your favourite trap,.....i cannot see any of what your fear, become a reality !

9 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

I think you overestimate Jeff, & the Guilds influence, & you are over worrying , or panicking incase your restricted from using your favourite trap,.....i cannot see any of what your fear, become a reality !

Unfortunateon this matter I think you’re either incredibly naive or stupid

maybe both

6 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Putanges have been in use for over 300 years and so there is absolutely no chance of anyone registering the design or patenting them. There are also many variations of the design. That makes it harder for anyone to champion this type of trap as there isn't the monetary incentive. At the end of the day it should be up to Ministry officials to determine what type of trap is humane or not, but given the results of a similar test a few years ago the results are swayed by their lack of experience and knowledge. Also, the only trap I've found that can be used efficiently straight out of the box is the Talpex. Even then I prefer to polish the tip of the rod and hole. The latest Flatpack tunnel traps I received about three years ago required serious work. At least with the putanges it is only a matter of tying on the trigger.

In around five years of using the putanges I have had three foul captures; one by the wrist, one by the 'finger nail' and one by the very tip of its nose. I don't use them all the time as some soil types are better suited to Talpex or tunnel traps. But at any one time I've got over 200 putanges permanently in the ground so that is a fair sample. 

I wonder what Jeff Nicholls or the Guild would say about using 19th century traps when efficient modern traps are available?

"Ministry Officials" ,......i wouldn't rely on any of that sorts collective judgement,  in the least !,......& "using" the full wooden barrel mole trap, & learning to catch consistently with it has probably been  the most challenging & rewarding experience I've had so far, in mole catching , & ive enjoyed every minute ! ,.......i don't think you could even begin too understand that however, & me being drawn to them (for my own reasons,...) as you've just demonstrated with your last comment here.

Edited by earth-thrower