Worst mole trap ever, for me ! (Putange)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just popped in to settle a few points. The OP, Mr. McWhinney has made a right tool of himself sending threatening emails to the ebay seller after he unsuccessfully tried to blag the name of the manufa

Mole-catching is a testosterone-fuelled and very serious business. You have to be tough to tackle a mole(a big male can reach seven inches and tear a worm apart in seconds!),and defend your methods,tr

? earth thrower. I know you'll be reading! ?

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Just to add Iv never tried any other traps except the wee wind up ones, can’t rememwber there name but just got some tunnel traps to try so I’ll see if they as easy to use as the putange? anybody gonna do a video for me to copy like that putange guy done ????

Trapline was it , the others you used ?

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye that’s the ones mate, fiddly for an amateur like me but I caught 2 miles under patio slabs with them, but when set in a lawn I got nowit as the puntange caught em all  first ?

I used the trapline only, for one whole season, cause my half - barrels were done, & when I tried to order more (barrels) the quality had went right downhill , from my usual supplier,.....(then i eventually found ones I was happy with) Took me a good while to try & get used to the trapline too, & to achieve a similar catch rate as I did with the Duffus. Overall, they werent that humane, i discovered (for me) & a poor substitute for my half barrels.

9 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye that’s the ones mate, fiddly for an amateur like me but I caught 2 miles under patio slabs with them, but when set in a lawn I got nowt as the puntange caught em all  first ?

Aye , your right, handy for a mole running under them slabs , just like your Putange I'd bet ?

Edited by earth-thrower
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye mate they are good under slabs an along them borders like in the photo I took, raised borders round a lawn an moles where travelling under the borders, so first guy couldn’t catch em for even find em, an as the guy knew me as me lad ferrets there land he asked if I could try, I had 8 miles in lil over a month ? don’t know if that’s good, bad or average but it’s only a wee 1 acre garden surrounded by woods an a stream, needless to say me lad still gets to do the ferreting an gets paid well for it?

You were catching them, so doing fine,.....?

35 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Only ever done small gardens an that tho pal, was talking to the moley at work tho, does a few days a week 5er a mole can set 200 traps an catch 150 a go?? not sure about other land he does or what, but looking at some of our fields an the mole hills in them an size of each field I wouldn’t know where to start so will leave it to them that do??

I'm still on foot over the farmland , & set nowhere near 200 traps, in the week  ?  (maybe that's why I'm still skint ! ),.......i always try & get £10 , as a per mole rate (agricultural) Depends though , you have to knock the price down sometimes if there is alot of moles on the ground.  (nothing wrong with catching in gardens, still using your skills to catch em, & sometimes can be even trickier to get them, depending on the situation.)

Edited by earth-thrower
30 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

I used the trapline only, for one whole season, cause my half - barrels were done, & when I tried to order more (barrels) the quality had went right downhill , from my usual supplier,.....(then i eventually found ones I was happy with) Took me a good while to try & get used to the trapline too, & to achieve a similar catch rate as I did with the Duffus. Overall, they werent that humane, i discovered (for me) & a poor substitute for my half barrels.

Which barrels do you use out of interest 

9 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Caught too many by the belly ( and yes I did tweak the tunnels before anyone has a go !) the last straw came when I walked past a fired trap . I went to my furthest point and picked traps up on my way back.. 20 mins before I got back to that fired trap and when I lifted it the mole was still alive and caught round the belly. I control pests but try to do it humanly IMO the tunnel trap isn’t humane.

I know what your saying about the tunnel trap, & it's hard to completely avoid,.....but if you look at them photos of mine, no belly catches,.....? but , to be fair the Duffus type, could be improved upon, & i would hope it is possible. (old Jeff is definitely onto something, trying to come up with changes, in that regard at least,.....although that doesn't mean im recommending any of his versions, so far, necessarily)

• Like 1
On 16/02/2019 at 17:09, Tyla said:

So much to bicker about with moles ... who knew?? ????

Mole-catching is a testosterone-fuelled and very serious business. You have to be tough to tackle a mole(a big male can reach seven inches and tear a worm apart in seconds!),and defend your methods,trap selection and territory. I've heard that those mole-catcher's Guild-type meetings involve illegal betting on slug races and inevitably degenerate into spiteful brawls involving trowels and earth-probes that make biker gang turf wars look like a ball-pit full of Haribo-hyped toddlers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
3 hours ago, comanche said:

Mole-catching is a testosterone-fuelled and very serious business. You have to be tough to tackle a mole(a big male can reach seven inches and tear a worm apart in seconds!),and defend your methods,trap selection and territory. I've heard that those mole-catcher's Guild-type meetings involve illegal betting on slug races and inevitably degenerate into spiteful brawls involving trowels and earth-probes that make biker gang turf wars look like a ball-pit full of Haribo-hyped toddlers.

Ha ha,...pretty good that  ! ,..& just look at the  views these threads attract, when it's arguing & insults, etc ? (sad aint it ?) over 11,000 now, for the 'Putange Mole Trapping' thread ,....?  (good laugh,.....but you can only have so much fun , i reckon,......some members (I'm sure ) don't like it,.....& you do have to consider that,....& my times drawing near to depart , once & for all, i feel anyway,.....I started off on here getting into trouble a long while ago, by a MOD who didn't have a clue ,.......then I got sensible for so long,.......but I had to end up letting rip again  ! ??,....(only cause I knew its near the end for me here) ,.....still a good bunch on here & a good forum , where you can definitely learn a bit,.....

• Haha 1

Just popped in to settle a few points. The OP, Mr. McWhinney has made a right tool of himself sending threatening emails to the ebay seller after he unsuccessfully tried to blag the name of the manufacturer out of him. He hates putanges that much he wants to know who makes them LOL

There is no such thing as a 'genuine' putange so there is no such thing as a fake. Putange is the name of a type of trap like a car is a type of vehicle. There are loads of manufacturers making and selling putanges, some good, some not so good. Just like any other type of trap. A few years back I gave the name of Lucifer as being a decent putange. There are others, many unbranded, that are just as good.  But the only stainless putanges that I know of are currently sold on ebay but are far more expensive than the normal ones especially in smaller quantities. I now only use stainless as they are far more powerful even after three years of being spragged open 24/7 in permanent trap sites. I have traps over three years old that are over twice the strength of new 'normal' putanges. They don't rust either so they don't need cleaning like normal ones do periodically. For a pro' even a small time pro' like me they are a far better trap than normal putanges and justify the price in the long run.

The only problem with stainless ones is that the more recent batches have a few traps that aren't quite aligned properly and cross over on false activations. A vice and a bit of tweaking soon sorts them out. They'll last for years. Just remember where you buried them.

As for being hard to use; the trap consists of two pieces of bent metal and have been in constant use in France for over 300 years. I think the problem lies with the trapper, not the trap ;) 

Please note that I am not supplying these traps. The tax system here in France and the postal costs mean that the price to you would be far too expensive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1