seasons end

Season coming to an end again at least for us anyway as we always finish up 2nd week of February. We had a good season again apart from me losing a bitch a few weeks back but shit happens.we had some real good digs both ourselves and with friends who were up for a days digging. One in particular was a 3.8 dig to a dog belonging to a mate Real good dig to a good dog.we had some good days out and good crack thrown in as well good day yesterday with 3 digs and a couple of lads down from Derry for the day hope they enjoyed the day out.how is everyone else's season gone.

• Like 3

i will get out 1 more time an get the dog an his daughter dug will pack up for the season then....season went well apart from loosing a dog myshelf but thats the terrier game....

its a pleasure to dig to them dogs of yours fatman i having seen bitches as good before....only thing was missing was beer this time but i will be down soon for a good season....lol

• Like 1

Good to see you have had a season fatman foxes have been hard to find to ground  this season but a few dogs have had a good few  outing with a few proving themselves again a couple  walking and a couple lost but all in all not a bad term 

• Like 1

Apart from a young dog braking his leg and is held up, it has been one a the best seasons ive put down for a while. I put a bit more time in myself to get out on my own aswell as digging with my buddies and it paid of. Got one dig about 8 foot under a tree wicked hard ground and I was on my own wit my oldest bitch that dig took over 7 hours and as light was fading I was panicking but a phone call to a friend rescued my arse. Ill stay going till Paddies day unless I meet something  thats how ive always done it. Then roll on next season ive 3 pups to start hopefully give these older dogs a well deserved rest. ATB for the rest of what remains of your season.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

End of the shooting season means i have more land i have to go on now as the keepers don't want me on there till it's finished and i'd have a bet a few fella's will be going at it a bit more now rather than bringing to an end,i know we will be..✌️..

• Like 2
5 hours ago, fireman said:

End of the shooting season means i have more land i have to go on now as the keepers don't want me on there till it's finished and i'd have a bet a few fella's will be going at it a bit more now rather than bringing to an end,i know we will be..✌️..

Everyone to there own. I personally don't go beyond mid February for obvious reasons but I don't to answer to keepers or anyone else for that matter.I don't like digging pregnant vixon or cubs I think everything should have a season but like yourself some have a job to do or else lose there permission but others use it as an excuse just to carry on then when the season comes around again moan that they have no quarry about.good luck until you finish up anyway. 

• Like 9

I'd rather start a bit early and finish early, like fat man as I don't like digging cubs  or heavy vixens unless on call out. Seasons are all over place so who knows when they'll cub. I've dug on a week or so extra in past and thought it was grand until dog puked up cubs in box on way home. Not my cup of tea.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, fireman said:

Why don’t they want you on till shootings over fireman?  Surely a man and a terrier isn’t going to cause any disruption. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Why don’t they want you on till shootings over fireman?  Surely a man and a terrier isn’t going to cause any disruption. 

Stick in the muds really,one keeper we have don't give two fecks as he says the birds come back after a shoot day and you two can't be any noisier than that:laugh:,Another estate lets us anytime bar shoot days,but about half our land just won't have it and that is just the way it is...

30 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

We had a keeper knock farmers door last year an ask if he could stop the machinery tearing out an old bank to make more space, farmer told him he would have it turned off the day after he takes shoot offf em??? cheeky cnuts some keepers, rent bit land an them try an tell the farmer what he can do on his own land ??

Then again you get some tenant farmers who think they own the place and do all they can to put a spanner in the workings of a shoot,estates can be even more fickle than one man can ever be....

1 minute ago, fireman said:

Then again you get some tenant farmers who think they own the place and do all they can to put a spanner in the workings of a shoot,estates can be even more fickle than one man can ever be....

I know of a land owner who charges the tenant for the same acres of land that he charges the keeper for cover crops! :laugh:

Both parties have come to the conclusion it's not worth the hassle sorting it out. :laugh:

All can be a pain in the arse and overstep, including landowners who have sold sporting rights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1