Before or after?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs, like all predators, hunt better on an empty stomach. Not only is it dangerous to feed before working, but it must be damned uncomfortable for the dog to have food sitting in its stomach when it'

Blood sugar and salt levels would be low if they had went without food for too long, empty tank is no good to man, beast, or motor

havnt dogs got one of the quickest digestive systems in the animal world....it was proberbly on here but I read they can digest a belly full in 8 hours... i feed at tea time if I'm off out midnig

8 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Been told a few different reasons for feeding a dog before and after lamping none of which I take much notice of but one stuck and that's if a dog is running on a full belly it is more likely to twist it? Any truth in that? 

I’ve never known it happen to a dog. I like to feed mine 4-6 hours before I run them.

havnt dogs got one of the quickest digestive systems in the animal world....it was proberbly on here but I read they can digest a belly full in 8 hours...

i feed at tea time if I'm off out midnight and after....then when they have finished running they get another bowl full...

• Like 3
Just now, Saltmoon said:

I don't feed mine if going out wait till I'm home but was just curious really about the whole twisted stomach thing 

isn't that something to do with real large dogs like deerhounds....and i think running them straight after a feed....

4 minutes ago, TOMO said:

isn't that something to do with real large dogs like deerhounds....and i think running them straight after a feed....

Not sure really my neighbour has a French mastive and that twisted it's stomach so you may be right in big dogs 

Depends really if i take my dog out local just for an hour or 2 i find them a touch sharper without the feed or bit of lambs milk. If got something planned then try to feed abit of lamb or tripe few hours before.

Edited by C.green

I’ve tried different things this season. Feeding him a little something of a morning if out lamping. Feeding around 2 on the afternoon and then nothing at all and I feel like he runs better just been fed once a day after all exercise over. The couple of days a week I rest him he gets a few extras like fish and offal and he does ok for me on this

• Like 1

I’ve seen one or two dogs go off there feet over the years and most of them seemed to have one thing in common they hadn’t been fed for a long time before lamping. I’ve been out with a lad who reckoned he read in a Plummer book not to feed his dog the day it was going running. Not sure how true that was but his dog went off it’s legs fast. I ain’t saying that running a dog on a empty stomach is necessarily wrong but that’s just been my experience.  

• Like 1

Feed mine most days around 4pm, if lamping (10 pm onwards) they get about 2/3 of their normal amount and the same again when we come back.

Basically, enough to give them energy and have time to digest it before we go out and then they get extra if they've been working.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1