Jump to content
Lurcherman332

Training on lamp

Recommended Posts

Hi all I need of some advice and thought where best to ask! My lurcher pup is coming on well with her basic training a little head strong but all in all coming on very well only thing I seem to be struggling with is getting her used to the beam I’ve had her out with a rabbit skin dummy with reflective tape on it casting the dummy out and using the beam for her to see. Doing this hoping she will run down the beam and pick the dummy but she won’t look down the beam at all and the odd time when she does she won’t repeat it! She 9 months old and probably been doing it for 2 weeks not every night but regular still nothing any advice??

Share this post


Link to post

27 minutes ago, Lurcherman332 said:

Hi all I need of some advice and thought where best to ask! My lurcher pup is coming on well with her basic training a little head strong but all in all coming on very well only thing I seem to be struggling with is getting her used to the beam I’ve had her out with a rabbit skin dummy with reflective tape on it casting the dummy out and using the beam for her to see. Doing this hoping she will run down the beam and pick the dummy but she won’t look down the beam at all and the odd time when she does she won’t repeat it! She 9 months old and probably been doing it for 2 weeks not every night but regular still nothing any advice??

Give a detailed write up of what you’ve done with her before this. Have you done plenty of day work? Does she retrieve well during the day but not doing it at night. Does she try and look for it when you throw it in the dark or is she just not interested. Bit more info and someone might be able to give you abit of advice mate. I used to throw em during the day and then at night when I first start just did small throws just a couple of feet and then gradually further. I will say though at 9 month they go through a frustrating phase where they just don’t do what you want them to do. I say wait a week or so and try again and try not to get frustrated. Plenty of praise and treats if necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the reply mate! She retrieved we’ll day and night I’ve done basics sit stay recall all bang on point now with her can get her to sit stay.throw a dummy and then send her out for it had her out ferreting but due to rabbit population not seen a lot! I’ve tried throwing it short but she can see the dummy so she’s not really using the beam I can throw one out on field walk away with her and then put the lamp on it and she won’t look down beam even walk right up to it and she’s looking everywhere bar the beam it’s frustrating maybe if she seen a rabbit on the move or dummy on move the penny might dropped but in my personal opinion she’s not mature enough to go lamping yet still very puppyish.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Lurcherman332 said:

Thanks for the reply mate! She retrieved we’ll day and night I’ve done basics sit stay recall all bang on point now with her can get her to sit stay.throw a dummy and then send her out for it had her out ferreting but due to rabbit population not seen a lot! I’ve tried throwing it short but she can see the dummy so she’s not really using the beam I can throw one out on field walk away with her and then put the lamp on it and she won’t look down beam even walk right up to it and she’s looking everywhere bar the beam it’s frustrating maybe if she seen a rabbit on the move or dummy on move the penny might dropped but in my personal opinion she’s not mature enough to go lamping yet still very puppyish.

That’s how I started my pup off all the basics as you’ve said. I watched a video on YouTube called “Purdys Progress” it’s a step by step guide on how to bring a Lurcher on from a pup to the field. Isn’t a better tutorial in my opinion. I had the same issue as you wouldn’t really follow the beam when scanning but would pick up the dummy when I threw it and put the lamp on it. Mine started really watching once she seen the bunny move. After a few nights of action the penny dropped. She knew when the lamp comes on it’s time to watch. I’m impatient and like things to go smoothly. Just be patient the pup still young. If you got someone who can assist you for the time being I’d put the dummy on a piece of string out in the field with reflective tape on as you have got and maybe shine the lamp on the dummy and have your “assistant” pull the dummy as you shine the light on it. This might get the pups attention. Once it spots it move it should go after it. It’s worth a go anyway. How’s she bred mate

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Exactly what I watched mate basically did my training with her from that thanks for advice mate il get someone out with me on the dummy or maybe take her out and let her see some rabbits moving on the lamp just to get her attention 

Share this post


Link to post

Had mine out a fair amount his first season and he won't look where the lamp is at the moment I think it comes with experience mate for the dog. I just lamp the rabbit hope it sits in place and I walk up to it he's getting a bit better every time I go out I've noticed him watching the lamp sometimes but 90% of the times he's looking at other things it will come patience is key 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Once the pup equates the lamp with the movement of prey your on the pigs back 

movement is the key, its the rabbit that educates the dog to the lamp , not the owner 

dont let your frustration for educating the pup effect the relationship , it shouldnt feel any resistance from you espically when you want it carrying  a highly prized item such as a rabbit into your space , best of luck 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Lurcherman332 said:

Exactly what I watched mate basically did my training with her from that thanks for advice mate il get someone out with me on the dummy or maybe take her out and let her see some rabbits moving on the lamp just to get her attention 

9 months I was slipping mine on rabbits. Not that she caught any at that age but I was impatient. They say make sure there capable physically of catching one before you slip them on one as they can get frustrated and bark which then scares everything else off the field. Mine was about 2 year old before she really started picking them up with ease. You got plenty of time mate  just keep doing what your doing bud. The penny will drop!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Had mine out a fair amount his first season and he won't look where the lamp is at the moment I think it comes with experience mate for the dog. I just lamp the rabbit hope it sits in place and I walk up to it he's getting a bit better every time I go out I've noticed him watching the lamp sometimes but 90% of the times he's looking at other things it will come patience is key 

It certainly is 

Share this post


Link to post

keep doing your stuff in the day and when you think your pups ready get it on some rabbits, it will pick it up quick enough, its simple don't over think things.

Share this post


Link to post

Try get her out with another dog 2/3 times watching the job done. Then give her a run if she’s looking down the beam and there’s sat out far enough with out spoiling her. Nothing like a pup watching another dog work to bring them on. Never had any trouble with getting a dog running the beam this way 

Share this post


Link to post

Try a amber filter rather than a dark red filter  were the dog can see every movement of a bunny even walk up to squatters and hiss excite the dog even if he can't see it he will soon associate it with a run good luck buddy 

Edited by Blackmag

Share this post


Link to post

Looking down the beam is the easy bit. Just show it some rabbits. Sounds like you done the ground work fair play

Share this post


Link to post

Cheers for the reply’s people just going to give her the time she needs and keep up with her basic training she will come when she’s ready maybe a few months down the line il get her out around some rabbits maybe another dog not to slip together but to watch how it’s done thank you for the help much appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Barrie
      For those not already aware, Alison Johnstone MSP (Scottish Green Party) has tabled a Private Member’s Bill, which if approved would have a severe, negative impact on all forms of hunting with dogs. It is presently out for public consultation and that consultation period ends on 15th September 2019, which is less than a month away. It’s essential that you and as many other likeminded individuals as possible respond before that date.
      Before responding, it’s advisable to read the comments and notes of guidance provided by the Scottish Countryside Alliance and/or Scottish Association of Country Sports. These can be found at: https://www.countryside-alliance.org/getattachment/cd8b72ad-d577-4523-bbcb-5b19a6e89461/Alison-Johnstone-Consultation-Countryside-Alliance-Response_.pdf?lang=en-GB and   https://www.sacs.org.uk/media/uploads/cat-252/banning-fox-and-hare-control-in-scotland-sacs-consultation-guidance-for-members.pdf
      The survey is also available online and can be completed at: https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/WildMammals/
      It’s important to complete the survey in full (including names and addresses) and no matter how frustrating, or ridiculous you may find some of the proposals, please remember “courtesy at all times”. There's no extra points for belligerence, or for rudeness, the purpose of the exercise is to improve awareness, NOT to make any more enemies than we already have.
      Y.I.S. - Barrie
    • By abrasivewheel
      When in gods name has colour or a unique colour dictated the price of a dog .was browsing a few ads and saw someone wanting £750 for a pup . I am looking into the future so to speak in regards to replacement lurchers . things like stand out from the crowd I would if I dropped £750 on a pup because of its colour as a village idiot . I think upto about £250 + is not unreasonable due too feeding inoculations pet husbandry.  But £750 its extracting the urine me thinks 
    • By Lurcherman332
      Well took a big leap of faith with my bitch having such a good collie grey for marking and ferreting all round really had my heart set out for another one. Whilst looking for one I came across a beddy whippet greyhound and after reading up about the x I thought I’d have ago. After many choice words, tantrums and hard work she really is proving to be a top notch dog marking is second to none  catching bolting rabbits obedience and mostly her heart what a dog so happy everything paid off and if any ferreting man is looking for a hard working dog with brilliant Capabilities Don’t over look a bedlington x 
       

    • By JMxyrz
      Im after abit of advice on training my 8month old bull X on the lamp.its my first dog I have had from being 9 weeks but have always been out with other lads. Wouldn’t say I’m a 100% newbie but still have a lot to learn. Any help is appreciated 

    • By two crows
      found this old article

×