Is it me or does everyone coming in to Lurchers only really have a interest in breeding Lurchers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always folks buying into dreams peddled by the  dreamers..... If you haven't seen said animals graft, or can take the word of someone who has and you trust, then, only got yourself to blame imo. I got

Mine stay till they meet there maker  you return the loyalty that the dog as given you over the seasons with the great times an experiences they’ve given you. a comfy bed An bit of feed cost nowt for

The benefit in giving pups to trusted people is you can keep your line if you loose the pups you keep for your self.the harsh truth with lads moaning about shit lurchers is how many are fed on doctor

12 hours ago, blackmaggie said:

It's a tricky one I have Seen seasoned dogs lined with excellent breeding behind them  and produce nothing like there parents etc yet some accidentall mating produced some good dogs me personally I wouldn't breed a litter as I haven't got anything worthy of breeding from imo there's better out there if you look hard enough but my mate has a very good bitch  with some good breeding behind her very up and at them running style i don't think she is the sort to make old bones he didn't line this time and even he says she might not be here next year so he might of missed out  on her but who's to say she will produce there's a lot of thought that must go in to a litter than just chucking to dogs together that have had a couple of good night's but that doesn't always seem the case and it's not always young lads 

you rarely go wrong with first x beddy/greys they so true to type as long as you use the right beddy ?hybreds are the thing for ground work but not for lurcher breeding ?

1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

you rarely go wrong with first x beddy/greys they so true to type as long as you use the right beddy ?hybreds are the thing for ground work but not for lurcher breeding ?

Never owned a beddy x but what is the point of breeding in a bushing type of beddy with no fire to create a lurcher? Me personally I'd rather use a good earth terrier with whatever percentage of out x blood purity is the least of my worries hard enough to get a good dog as it is

On 19/09/2018 at 21:33, Steviec said:

So what do you do with your dogs once their working life is over?,  genuine question .

Mine stay till they meet there maker  you return the loyalty that the dog as given you over the seasons with the great times an experiences they’ve given you. a comfy bed An bit of feed cost nowt for a hero that made it to retirement. dog shit Lurcher owns jack on there own dogs an try An kid people that there the real deal Lurcher men! that only keep workers but the real Lurcher men/women know different An wouldn’t dream of such matters as they know the dogs earned its comfort in retirement ain’t that part of the parcel of being a real Lurcher man??. For me it’s a verbal contract when I buy a pup or breed one that your contracted in to if your a genuine person the contract can’t be broken 

• Like 8
19 hours ago, poxon said:

Mine stay till they meet there maker  you return the loyalty that the dog as given you over the seasons with the great times an experiences they’ve given you. a comfy bed An bit of feed cost nowt for a hero that made it to retirement. dog shit Lurcher owns jack on there own dogs an try An kid people that there the real deal Lurcher men! that only keep workers but the real Lurcher men/women know different An wouldn’t dream of such matters as they know the dogs earned its comfort in retirement ain’t that part of the parcel of being a real Lurcher man??. For me it’s a verbal contract when I buy a pup or breed one that your contracted in to if your a genuine person the contract can’t be broken 

My thoughts exactly pal !. I  can’t understand how anyone can say they  can’t or won’t  give a dog kennel space after it’s given  it’s owner so much pleasure and loyalty in it’s working lifetime , as was said earlier, to some people a dog is just a tool, I dread to think where some of these dogs end their life!.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, poxon said:

I’m of the same thought but if I take on a pup and it turns out it won’t do the job I need it to do it will be rehomed or pts, but a dog that has been a good hunting partner to me will get it’s day with me.

• Like 1
On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:24, Busher100 said:

Never owned a beddy x but what is the point of breeding in a bushing type of beddy with no fire to create a lurcher? Me personally I'd rather use a good earth terrier with whatever percentage of out x blood purity is the least of my worries hard enough to get a good dog as it is

good point busher but to use a hybred of which I keep myself ,you would not produce a first x ? and I for one would not like lakey ,fell, or god forbid border terrier in the mix for a lurcher ,and you would be right in saying not all kc dogs are earth dogs not even working dogs and id stick my neck out and say 90% aint workers and in truth there aint many hybreds working to ground either ?,anyway I cant fault the line the first x I use or the ones iv used in the past ? and none have lacked any fire at all ? and chap my first x came from digs his kc,s and i have no reason to disbelieve him he been around a lot of years and has knocked out some good stuff ,but none of that matters really as I couldn't be more pleased with what I got atb

22 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

good point busher but to use a hybred of which I keep myself ,you would not produce a first x ? and I for one would not like lakey ,fell, or god forbid border terrier in the mix for a lurcher ,and you would be right in saying not all kc dogs are earth dogs not even working dogs and id stick my neck out and say 90% aint workers and in truth there aint many hybreds working to ground either ?,anyway I cant fault the line the first x I use or the ones iv used in the past ? and none have lacked any fire at all ? and chap my first x came from digs his kc,s and i have no reason to disbelieve him he been around a lot of years and has knocked out some good stuff ,but none of that matters really as I couldn't be more pleased with what I got atb

What about Maltese terrier 

16 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

The best first cross i have seen and ive watched a fair few was from a kc dog. in the early 80s a local fella took a greyhound bitch to be lined by one of john piggins dogs(eakring) the best mooching knockabout lurcher i have clapped eyes on to date.ive a good idea who the fella is who has the bedlington that is the sire to yours he has been with bedlingtons for the long haul while many fell by the wayside.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I won't argue as you have more experience with the beddy xs than me but the outcrosses of toppers would be what id use to produce a lurcher preferably a hard dog wether it was 50 percent outcross or only 1/8 wouldn't matter to me

6 minutes ago, darbo said:

The best first cross i have seen and ive watched a fair few was from a kc dog. in the early 80s a local fella took a greyhound bitch to be lined by one of john piggins dogs(eakring) the best mooching knockabout lurcher i have clapped eyes on to date.ive a good idea who the fella is who has the bedlington that is the sire to yours he has been with bedlingtons for the long haul while many fell by the wayside.

this kc line produces lurchers that are so true to type most pups are identical ? and as I said theres no lack of guts either ?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

I won't argue as you have more experience with the beddy xs than me but the outcrosses of toppers would be what id use to produce a lurcher preferably a hard dog wether it was 50 percent outcross or only 1/8 wouldn't matter to me

nowt wrong with jackets on these nor any lack of bottle

On 13/09/2018 at 10:32, Smashing reds said:

Totally agree. The lurcher game is a joke. Breeding dogs that never got tested. Dogs should have at least 6 hard seasons under there belts then consider breeding them. Only young lads breeding for the sake of it.

Some of the finest lurchers i owned never made 6 years of age.In an ideal world id put a litter through a bitch when she,s 5 years old,far younger for a bitch thats been forced into early retirement and a pup is needed to replace her.It boils my piss that folk would rather breed from what they own rather than source a better pup from elsewhere,many a fool cannot see beyond their kennel blindness and live with the romance that their ego,ignorance and greed bestows upon them.Its naive to believe that the younger generation are responsible for the lurcher production line,they may have a lot of catching up to do before they reach the dizzy heights that a few of their elders are still attempting to reach decades into their decadence.Id rather breed from an honest bred youngster than a dishonest owned aged hound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1