2 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

It’s like asking why would u out ur best mate in front of a train ? U wouldn’t do it ?‍♂️ if I didn’t have rabbits where I live or near I wouldn’t have a rabbiting dog, if u got not sensible earths near u and not prepared to travel don’t have a terrier ?‍♂️ simple 

Are you say lads that work rocks shouldn’t have a terrier? 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same earth   

i

I think Ziggy has summed it all up,   in rocks i find you need a dog thats not going to waffled about and needs to make sure the fox thinks it's safer to bolt than stay in the pile ,  working cracks a

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, justdigit said:

Every time you put a dog to ground you take a risk same as every time you let a lurcher off the lead. But to knowingly put a dog your attached to into a place where if it goes wrong your not going to be able to help is not for me. I have never worked that sort of ground so no experience in it. But back when I did dig I would pick my spots wisely. Preferably braken banks and not oak woods lol

14 minutes ago, terryd said:

Every time you put a dog to ground you take a risk same as every time you let a lurcher off the lead. But to knowingly put a dog your attached to into a place where if it goes wrong your not going to be able to help is not for me. I have never worked that sort of ground so no experience in it. But back when I did dig I would pick my spots wisely. Preferably braken banks and not oak woods lol

Couldn’t have had much work then ? 

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, terryd said:

I suppose a lot of it comes down to experience and listening to those that have experience. There’s men out there that have done it all there life that learnt off men that did it all there life. There rock places that have been worked for well over 100 years and never kept a terrier over night. But if one of those men tell you a place is bad and to stay away then you listen. It’s not just a case of tipping a terrier in anywhere that holds a fox. To say if you work rocks you shouldn’t own a terrier is no sense to me spoken by someone that has zero experience working rocks 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
20 hours ago, justdigit said:

Different type of dog work but if you want foxes …. In the North anyway , that’s where they are.

I’ve heard even them over in Lancashire get the odd one ??

? ATB T

• Like 4

I always found u didn’t want a hard dog in rocks otherwise u could come unstuck as your not digging most places we used to use my old bitch in them 15 minute she was back out was no digging dog but she bolted a hell of a lot for me and my mate years ago 

• Like 4