Vitamins and minerals

when i was flat to the mat hunting i always gave the dogs a tennis ball sized lump of beef fat ,the night before we went running  the fields ..the vet told me it was slow releasing energy and  would stand to them during the day hunting ..it also helps to keep their weight up and i found they lost very little form after they had a long day ..i also fed the fat to them when i came home ,,i found it very beneficial to their keeping weight on ,,but ive not one jot of scientific proof to back up my claims lol..but if they look right and perform right ,,then i believe they will be all right 

• Like 2

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No need for all the powders and potions if you feed a good mixed balanced diet 

Obviously parasites exist in nature, but when you look at how wild animals live, as opposed to domestic animals which are cooped up in the same place all the time, seeding the ground with worm eggs et

If you're running them that hard that a good diet isnt enough youre either not feeding as good as you think you are or you're giving the dog more work than its capable of taking.Either way that stuff

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

I’d say beef mince is a better protein source for working dogs than chicken as it contains a lot more b vitamins, iron and fat than chicken 

Yeah it's probably better grub I was just on about protein I know chicken not got enough fat on it's own like

Just now, Black neck said:

Yeah it's probably better grub I was just on about protein I know chicken not got enough fat on it's own like

Thing i found when feeding alot of beef it would make the dogs run hot they seemed to tire quicker and get hotter quicker. Good varied diet and what else can you do ?

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

when i was flat to the mat hunting i always gave the dogs a tennis ball sized lump of beef fat ,the night before we went running  the fields ..the vet told me it was slow releasing energy and  would stand to them during the day hunting ..it also helps to keep their weight up and i found they lost very little form after they had a long day ..i also fed the fat to them when i came home ,,i found it very beneficial to their keeping weight on ,,but ive not one jot of scientific proof to back up my claims lol..but if they look right and perform right ,,then i believe they will be all right 

Did you not find giving them big doses of fat on its own give them the wild shits

no ,never gave any of them the shits ..would a tennis ball size be a big dose? im not sure but i went by the vet who worked for the Australian greyhound industry in  Sydney...i found they never lacked in effort any time i was out ,so i just continued the way i went 

• Like 1

Jigsaw right when worked hard fat in moderation don't shit em they need to be accustomed to it this the thing .fatty lamb good fuel and tripe fat use the strips of fat lining of the tripe chicken not much good.but carcass better the bone minerals etc provide high energy storable fats, beef his fine mixed tripe lamb tripe carcass tripe they need very little else the diet needs to be stable for the best results so flesh plus some kibble has the greyhound men feed canbe the best table diet much in the same has flesh and. Brown bread all flesh protein levels are pretty much the same it's just that the quality of protein differs what's best wheat based twenty eight protein or twelve thirteen percent flesh bone diet ,simple question. Atb bill

• Like 1
On 03/09/2018 at 19:48, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

A little garlic is beneficial for a dog, especially if a dog is fed a standard dog food(dry food). 

A dog fed raw diet or a very healthy animal will require less.

It does thin the blood slightly as does tumeric, but thins it in a beneficial way which increases the flow of fluids in the blood stream and in the organs of the animal. This helps clear toxins, prevents mass cell tumours and discourages worms too. 

As a supplement it is best fed in small amounts. For example i give my dog a clove or two once a month. Works just as good for humans?

More utter rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Plenty of science to back that up. Basically fat has a much higher calories than protein etc so help to hold condition on a dog.

All comes down to common sense really, balance of protein, fat and carbs from a variety of sources and they will bring a balance of vitamins and minerals with them.

Feed some trip, some, rabbit, venison chicken, lamb ribs, beef or pork meat, fish etc.

+

Feed some pasta, complete, biscuit, brown bread etc.

+

Feed some vegetables and fruits.

This type of diet will supply all the energy, building blocks for repair along with all the vitamins/minerals needed in a viable balanced form.

Supplements don't make up for a poor diet only a better diet will do that.?

Edited by sandymere
On 5 September 2018 at 10:37, sandymere said:

Plenty of science to back that up. Basically fat has a much higher calories than protein etc so help to hold condition on a dog.

Plus scientifically factl plus experience of use fat his the fuel best for our jukels atb bill

On 04/09/2018 at 21:40, Black neck said:

Can't be going far wrong then I feed lamb ribs and minced throat chicken backs tripe and sardines no beef or salmon tho 2 feckin expensive got some of that salmon oil

Have particular interest as I bin struggling to keep any meat on the young dog despite him eating like a horse

As an experiment why don’t you try a good quality complete dog food just to see if it can keep the weight on your young dog,Aurtarky is a good one,it would be interesting to see how it compared to the diet you use now.