Running dog next to bike

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do a lot of Bikejoring with mine as well as trail Mtb’ing with the Dogs free running.  

I’m a great believer in road work, I run with mine getting them off road for part of the time so they can get a bit of pace change and interest. The road part is good for building basic cardio vascula

I got some funny looks.

Posted Images

It's better if you have a decent route, disused railway lines, canal towpaths, etc, if their on a lead you've got to keep your concentration for when they suddenly stop or change direction if something pops up. If you only take one dog at once it's not too difficult once the dog understands where you want it to run, I usually have a long lead wrapped round my left hand that can be loosed if they take off when their running in front, giving me a bit of time to suss what's on and brake, using my right hand.

Seen a lass on a bike last week with one of those dog leads on springs attached to the seat post, wouldn't fancy that lol. Good to wear gloves as well for when you do come off, especially on gravel! I'm lucky as my dogs have grown up doing this so they are savvy with other bikes as well. If you can get a decent route you do regularly it makes it a bit easier as you'll know any potential "troublespots".

I feckin' love it and so do the mutts. 

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

I'll stick to running with em lol, less accidents... keeps me fit as well 3 to 12 miles  about 3 times a week plus having the Tarka trail and beaches nearby makes running a pleasure.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/tarka-trail

https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/south-west-england/devon/sandymere-photos.htm

Edited by sandymere

Cheers for all the replies, only reason I asked is because my dog was worked hard through winter until injury at which point I had keep him on lead and not much exercise so he has got out of shape and that's why I though jogging him out on bike for a couple miles would help build core fitness without risking injury or him getting on something. I've found a good spot where not many people go and there's no game at all thank god so I'll try him out late tonight when it cools off. Thanks again 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, breeze said:

Been brought down in the past myself aswell, by this current bitch I'm running. Cut across a park on way home got the bike into a high gear head down and full belt.... She flew past me but shot right clipping front wheel, went down like a sack of shite... Lol

i had similar  with my big dog Buck , had him  trotting   down the lane with me with  the bike, we were doing what called the riding trot, going good pace , he was going great, was doing this every other day  about 6 mile. the lane had few motors go down, so pulled in a bit let them pass, but in general  the dog was good. But if seen a rabbit etc, he pull after it with me still holding his lead left hand. well this one day he seen a rabbit running bottom of the edge , with a bloody cat  following it . he went fookin nuts , went flat out after them , i couldnt stop him,  he hard to hold normally  never mind on a bike ?, but brakes on feet to the floor , still couldnt  hold him back, he pulled  me and bike right into the edge . i stopped after  that , it was  to dangerous , he could pulled me into a car. so now i just  go long walks with him off the lead,  he does ok i do more miles about august  then month to get him fit  to start the season .

6 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Just bought a book called running dog maintance by penny Taylor she's skycat on here. I don't read but bought this and can't put it down it's very useful

It should be made compulsory for anyone that wants to own a dog,that they have to read that book.

• Like 2

I rig it up like this:-

This leaves your hands free to steer and if the dogs spot game of any kind (and this has happened more than once!) they are pulling from lower doen your body than your arm/shoulder, so your a lot less likely to go over. I still choose quiet roads and quiet times of day. Early morning is good at this time of year and i'd dip them in the river before starting and also in any water along the route.

I like to give mine 4 or 5 miles every second day with relaxing riverside walks on days when they're not biking. Biking too much, especially at speeds faster than trot, can cause thin spots on their pads and so undo the good work.

Young dogs should have much more limited cycling exercise on their own, aimed more at teaching them to go steady and behave sensibly rather than fitness training. That's my take on it anyway.

Once the season starts I use the bike less, mainly if I'm too busy to get them out hunting

Link setup.JPG

Leads.JPG

cycling.JPG

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

would running the rope through your belt loops on your pants be even more resistant to the dogs pulling or lunging ?

It probably would too. I just find it quick and easy to chuck it over my shoulder and I've never been pulled off yet. The nearest I've come was when a fox ran over the road behind the bike. I ended up hopping a couple of paces to avoid falling. It gave a good laugh to the tractor driver following a few metres behind me.?

6 hours ago, sandymere said:

I’m a great believer in road work, I run with mine getting them off road for part of the time so they can get a bit of pace change and interest. The road part is good for building basic cardio vascular fitness with minimal risk of injury; it has its role as part of a rehab programme to build fitness or to help maintain baseline fitness in the summer. The exercise without injury is the key to its benefit and if used sensibly it’s good for keeping pads hard and nails short.

I pop the skates on and let him run as fast or slow as he wants.... he's pulling me mind ?

Never again will I grace a bike with this nob head, after last time! 3 broken ribs, a cracked bone in my foot (I was wearing flip flops ?) and claret everywhere. People running in from all angles, while I'm led on the floor pissing blood, groaning and the dickhead is sat there looking sheepish as fuuck ?

Edited by mushroom
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

It should be made compulsory for anyone that wants to own a dog,that they have to read that book.

It's bloody brilliant I've never once read a book off my own back have no interest I  it but I saw it and thought well I may get to read it one day. It came so I thought I'd have a quick look every chance I get I've got my head in it. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I pop the skates on and let him run as fast or slow as he wants.... he's pulling me mind ?

Never again will I grace a bike with this nob head, after last time! 3 broken ribs, a cracked bone in my foot (I was wearing flip flops ?) and claret everywhere. People running in from all angles, while I'm led on the floors pissing blood, groaning and the dickhead is sat there looking sheepish as fuuck ?

?? life is a learning experience.

• Haha 2

My dog knocked me off the bike one night when a fox crossed our paths... hit me in the head with her head. 

I now peddle with dogs running loose behind or around me, nice and steady.

Wish I was fit enough to take them on a 5-mile Jog on foot.