GOOD COLLIE X GREY'S THIN ON THE GROUND IT SEEMS.

2 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

Because they suit me and my type of hunting I don't want or require a speed machine and I'm not a fan of sighthound saturated dogs with the type of dog I keep you've got a ideal baseline to work and breed off alot of collie greyhounds being bred today are no more than collie marked greyhounds that have poor coats feet no bone and fine greyhoundy heads on them they're not for me. Regards Collie John

thanks for your answer, just how little sight hound can you genuinely get away with for what you do, before a pure colly would do, again genuine question.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an aside,...having been a member of this unique, hunting men's website, for several years,...I would have to congratulate Collie John for his sheer consistency... I fecking hate, users, and ab

you think they were brothers  , wouldn't you !!   Bryn  1x colle x grey , he was  bred   greyhound  dam . sire working farm collie . he be about   3  here , he  11  this sep  , and still fit for his a

Your right Japs , goodun's are few and far between I'm hoping to get a pup by my line bred collie x dog, in the not too distant future. I'm sure a pup by him would suit your needs if you don

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

Bill I don't look at it has evolution hunting has gone backwards to many do gooders modern technology ie camera phones CCTV and stupid laws have ruined the lurched game alot of lads especially the coursing lads have thrown the towel in its just not worth all the agro I feel sorry for the younguns coming into the lurcher game today the halcyon days of our sport are behind us alot of young lads are misguided about dogs and quarry and go down the wrong road which is a shame the lurcher game is f****d the type of dogs people will keep in time will change to more mooching types unless you want to keep a dog for the show scene lol.Regards Collie John

Totally agree with you collie John ,it’s like a modern version of medieval times , after the ban it attracted to many people that wanted to do it as illegal , or people that were to blatant about it, add the teens setting their dogs on animals in local parks /football pitches it’s all bad press , there’s to many nosey people with a phone camera and then you got the fur baby brigade constantly looking for things to post about on Facebook .

years ago you could walk with air rifle an if caught with edible vermin either just get sent on or giving abit of rabbiting or ratting permission now where they could keep eye on you ,now it’s a armed response unit or police copter sent out.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, two crows said:

thanks for your answer, just how little sight hound can you genuinely get away with for what you do, before a pure colly would do, again genuine question.

From what I understand sometimes the sighthound blood is useful for taking the edge of the herding dog being hyper than the speed involved, when you think a sighthound at homes pretty laid back , course I could be wrong??

4 minutes ago, two crows said:

A 1/4 or just a tad less I have a collie bitch what works cover marks and picks up fur and feather she's only young she still has a lot to learn yet but she's doing well. Regards Collie John

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

From what I understand sometimes the sighthound blood is useful for taking the edge of the herding dog being hyper than the speed involved, when you think a sighthound at homes pretty laid back , course I could be wrong??

Collie greyhounds aren't for everyone thank  goodness i think people have the  wrong perception of them there a complex type of dog very intelligent and in some cases more intelligent than their owners they're not a dog to be left locked in a kennel all day or all summer like some poor dogs are they need work and mental stimulation

Regards Collie John 

Edited by colliejohn
  • Like 5
41 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

A 1/4 or just a tad less I have a collie bitch what works cover marks and picks up fur and feather she's only young she still has a lot to learn yet but she's doing well. Regards Collie John

I ratch about with a pet border at work a bit, she works cover, marks and has caught plenty over the years, I can't mind how old she was but it didn't take her long to think that most things in the open weren't worth trying for, and often I think if only she'd try she might of caught that. Do you get this with yours or don't you find it a prob?

6 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

I ratch about with a pet border at work a bit, she works cover, marks and has caught plenty over the years, I can't mind how old she was but it didn't take her long to think that most things in the open weren't worth trying for, and often I think if only she'd try she might of caught that. Do you get this with yours or don't you find it a prob?

When she is out she is so switched on and she's always work orientated loves working cover water nothing really fazes her I think adding that touch of greyhound just gives that little bit of speed and prey drive. Regards Collie John

12 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Picking there runs that one of mine did that regular and would stalk a rabbit then if the rabbit ran it would come back to me and stare ???

At times up here, the hardest part is finding stuff to run. We need dogs that will hunt like spaniels, clever, hungry runners (as my grandad called them)  and a coat and physique that will brush off the worst the weather and the terrain can throw at them. Line bred, collie grew saturated dogs tick all those boxes for me.

IMG_6186.JPG

• Like 5

? I've experienced more variables and uncertainties with the Herding based hybrids, than any other lurcher type...

I grew up around crossbred canines and sundry curs,..brought them with me from rural Wales when I settled darn sarf, and then,..abandoned the type, for many years. The tasks laid out before me had changed drastically, so I had to adapt my way of thinking,... or like the dumb old Dinosaur,... I would not have prospered...

Nowadays, I am old and frail, so have returned wholeheartedly, to the fold,... I doubt I'll go awol again...?

575292831_Mid-airAngel.jpg.67b7792558332ebcea2ef4b684c9428b.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, nothernlite said:

Picking there runs that one of mine did that regular and would stalk a rabbit then if the rabbit ran it would come back to me and stare ???

she's a pet collie fueled on too much wagg.....

5 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

? I've experienced more variables and uncertainties with the Herding based hybrids, than any other lurcher type...

I grew up around crossbred canines and sundry curs,..brought them with me from rural Wales, when I settled darn sarf, and abandoned the type, for many years.

The tasks laid out before me had changed drastically, so I had to adapt my way of thinking,... or like the dumb old Dinosaur,... I would not have prospered...

Nowadays, I have returned wholeheartedly, to the fold,... I doubt I'll go awol again...?

What dogs did you switch to phil

1 hour ago, colliejohn said:

When she is out she is so switched on and she's always work orientated loves working cover water nothing really fazes her I think adding that touch of greyhound just gives that little bit of speed and prey drive. Regards Collie John

she sounds similar. comparing the border to my old 1/4 beardie they honestly aren't/weren't that different, both constantly hunting up, both hardy, about the same between the ear's(though the collie lives out), just mine obviously had the zip to catch and he always tried