Dog picking runs

I'll tell you what reading back through this thread there's some thought process in the old lamping game now...

Prefably wind In face, lamp on, spot bunny, slip dog, if you're getting fancy a bit of lamp rocking as bunny approaches hedge, catch/lose it... repeat...

perhaps we've all started over thinking it a bit!! Lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think there’s a difference between picking runs and not bothering at all. If there’s a rabbit sat a couple of feet from cover and my dog is way off then I wouldn’t expect him or even want him to go fu

I like to be the one picking the runs not the dog. 

IMO most Lurchers that have been worked regularly on rabbit will in time pick and choose their runs, and just like stalking their rabbits it’s no problem for me.  

Posted Images

On 26 February 2018 at 20:05, dogmandont said:

I have a dog here that will barely tighten the lead when he sees a rabbit but show him a fox and he’s a completely different animal, I suppose that could be called picking his runs. Lol. But it suits me just fine as he’s only for fox.

Hows your fox dog bred dogmandont???

I doesn’t really matter what we think or slip the dog on, at the end of the day ithe dog will decides. No training will make a difference and at the end of the day it is what it is. If the dogs not to your liking get rid or cull it if that’s your thing. Or suck it up and find something it can be useful at.  

some times when coursing (pre ban) you would sometimes slip on a hare close to cover if there was not much about and a good dog can often turn these into a decent course, but not if you or the dog don't try, there are some very clever dogs in the coursing game who wont leave anything, so while I know what people are saying I still think picking runs is a weakness in a dog, stalking on the other hand to within range and then lounching the attack very clever in my eyes, I had a pure saluki once  that used to run up wide in the dark when lamping and pop in behind the rabbit a very clever dog he was, and he would all ways give it a go.

• Like 3

:hmm: Some interesting and thought-provoking comments...:clapper:

The most useful work dogs that I have owned, all had one thing in common,..they were adaptable...

Situations on the hunting field vary immensely, and a canny predator will use everything to his advantage, to secure a victory...:thumbs:

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

:hmm: Some interesting and thought-provoking comments...:clapper:

The most useful work dogs that I have owned, all had one thing in common,..they were adaptable...

Situations on the hunting field vary immensely, and a canny predator will use everything to his advantage, to secure a victory...:thumbs:

Just like people right?:thumbs:

• Like 1