Dog picking runs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think there’s a difference between picking runs and not bothering at all. If there’s a rabbit sat a couple of feet from cover and my dog is way off then I wouldn’t expect him or even want him to go fu

I like to be the one picking the runs not the dog. 

IMO most Lurchers that have been worked regularly on rabbit will in time pick and choose their runs, and just like stalking their rabbits it’s no problem for me.  

Posted Images

That’s the point everyone has a different style of hunting and every dog is unique it’s own ways running the land it was brought up on, so for someone to say cull it it’s a pot licker (just a figure of speech not pointing the finger at anyone) because it picks its runs is wrong W.catchum hit the nail on the head it’s the plonker holding the lamp and most probably picking out the wrong rabbit to go for 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Who.in the right mind would do that ffs 

Seen more than a few doing exactly that over the years nl. That and their inablity to train a dog and their piss poor attitude to dogs/hunting in general. And since the ban more clueless nerks have got into dogs, and lamping in particular.  All of which was the deciding factor in me not taking anyone with me when I used to lamp a fair bit.  Just not worth the hassle

• Like 6
Just now, Aussie Whip said:

An experienced rabbit dog that's worked often is not going to waste its energy on a no chance run.I call it brains and skill and the sign of a true hunting dog, not just a running machine.

Good post :thumbs:

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

But surely that don’t make it a real hunting dog compared to the dog that tried an caught rabbit or even failed?? Without pushing out limitations mate how do we get better???

Just means it has better working blood in it to me,compared to a track dog running through barbed wire to try to catch the uncatchable.

Some people waffle some poo what use is a lamp dog on rabbit that picks an choosers it’s runs on the lamp it’s of no use that dog may as well be put on the sofa as a pet we’re it belongs An not bred out of as the dog has douts of its capability as a catch dog after all that’s why your out lamping it right there’s no point in kidding your self Remember like all trade men type jobs of employment your just a number if you can’t do the job your out!