Police on my permission

Been out shooting for a few hours tonight and just about to take a shot ,when bright lights shone on the fields . I stopped shooting and started to walk back to my van where the lights came from ,as my van came into  vision . and these lights   i noticed it two coppers i said to them i will just discharge my gun and take the mag out ,which i did  .

They asked me name , address  date of birth and if i had permission to shoot on this land , I always carry my permission letters with me so i showed them . 

Everything was ok and i also told them no way i will be doing anything illegal as i have applied for my FAC .

But what did annoy me these coppers said  you are meant to phone up to say you are shooting and i replied it's not law and he said i think you find it is .

Just shows the every day or night copper  do not know what is what with gun law !! 

• Like 3

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been out shooting for a few hours tonight and just about to take a shot ,when bright lights shone on the fields . I stopped shooting and started to walk back to my van where the lights came from ,as m

This kind of thing always winds me up, I can understand if shooting in a sensitive area why it would be a good idea to inform the police of your activities, but there is absolutely no requirement in l

I don`t know about your areas Police Mitch but to phone in around my neck of the woods - it`ll be time to come home before the feckers answer the phone !                                    

Mitch, I`ve been shooting very nearly half a century and never phoned the police to tell them I`m shooting, nor have they ever asked me to.

I suppose we could all bend to the wind and just ring them, if that`s what they want though ?

p.s. - did you shoot something " for once" ?  :laugh:

" Only asking like"

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Mitch, I`ve been shooting very nearly half a century and never phoned the police to tell them I`m shooting, nor have they ever asked me to.

I suppose we could all bend to the wind and just ring them, if that`s what they want though ?

p.s. - did you shoot something " for once" ?  :laugh:

" Only asking like"

Yes mate i did  five  and the old bill asked me what i will be doing  with them  and i said eat them or sell them to butchers  then one said have a good night shooting   , great after shining touches and spot light which was on the four wheel drive  police car over the fields :laugh:

• Like 1

About 5 years ago me and my mate where stopped during the daytime by a very young police man when out shooting. We heard a shout from the edge of the field and he had instructed  us to put our guns down and come over. We didn't hear that bit as he was too far away and we diddnt realise it was a police man either. we unloaded and walked over to see what he wanted  and when we got close we saw it was a police man - he said I asked you to put your gun down. My mate replied.....  i dont think its a good idea to leave a shotgun on the ground in the middle of a field (quite far away) and come over? I think that would be illegal leaving it unnatended - it could be stolen and if not then we would not be able to find them again.

He was been quite arrogant and loudly  asking why we would you want to kill rabbits. We gave landowners details and he rung the farmer in front of us and all was sorted.

He was OK after that and left a bit red faced when my mate suggested he look into shooting and shooting related law.

Completely agree with your post v'man. But. There is the idea that you perhaps are better off if you do let them know, especially with night time shooting. I know it's not law so don't go for me throat, but if youd called them and let them know you where there, they wouldn't of turned up.

Lights on private land is gonna get attention, even if its land your allowed on. But again, it's not law to do so, so you have a solid point, but you have to see there's... they didn't know who you where.

Iv just got in from shooting iv always got to ring in and get a job number as they call it and tonite a police van still pulled me just as I was pulling off the land  soon as I gave him the number he was fine I think for the sake of a fone calls it' alit less hassle 

In today almost hysterical media climate  it has become even more advisable    "always was and is in just my opinion"     to inform the local station, even if one is known as Jo Blogs that shoots on so and so fields.  On the bright side though, it was not a firearms unit saying, say hello to my little friend. 

All the very best for you and yours VM

Edited by just-A-snap

On a few of my permissions I have to phone and tell them we’re out other wise they have half of North Yorkshire police out after us lol they take my 4x4 details ask where’s it’s parked and if they get any reports they phones me or look for my jeep  some of the police in the control room get arsey especially if I am out with the lurchers not the rifle a few have had to go away and check you can lamp rabbits with dogs police should know the law if they have to up hold it 

• Like 1

Iv got to phone the police on one perm

as it was part of the deal in getting the permission

and as its factory units on an industrial estate

it helps .

the police just drive by and wave at me lol

Plus one copper told me it was good to do so

as we often drive home in the early hours of the morning it helps if we get pulled on the way home

and they search the tank and find rifles .

so i just give them a log no, and im on my way .

with one or two less rabbits lol.

all ways good to keep them happy

it pays off in the end .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

5 hours ago, Rez said:

Completely agree with your post v'man. But. There is the idea that you perhaps are better off if you do let them know, especially with night time shooting. I know it's not law so don't go for me throat, but if youd called them and let them know you where there, they wouldn't of turned up.

Lights on private land is gonna get attention, even if its land your allowed on. But again, it's not law to do so, so you have a solid point, but you have to see there's... they didn't know who you where.

Rez if I am shooting with houses nearby then i phone in but when parked on private land and shooting in the middle of nowhere  ,really 

Although they are only doing a job ,I know there has been a lot of poaching going on   and theft around farms and land  they did say we will be driving around farms and country lanes like in my case ,no one phoned in 

OK i will phone in now  as i have been told off by you Rez   by the way i use NV not lamps :thumbs::laugh: 

I don`t know about your areas Police Mitch but to phone in around my neck of the woods - it`ll be time to come home before the feckers answer the phone !

:icon_redface::no:

• Like 2

One golf course I shoot at insists I phone it in as there are houses round the outside of the course and a couple actually on the course itself and wouldn't give me permission otherwise.

A couple of years back around midnight we had just shot a fox when I heard police radios getting closer, then saw torches aiming at us. I unloaded the gun and put it back in its slip in the gator and turned to face the two coppers puffing and panting running towards me. As they got closer, they veered off and one of them said "Alright lads?" as they ran past and into some bushes by the road. Within a few seconds they came out with some scrote in handcuffs who had jumped the fence onto the course.

3 minutes ago, mark williams said:

:icon_redface::no:

It can be like that down here as well Mark