Brexit Thread Redux

19 minutes ago, BGD said:

My understanding from everything I've read is that the island of Ireland will keep aligned with EU regs not the whole of Britain. I haven't seen anything that says the whole of Britain will commit to alignment with EU regs.

The reuters article I posted along with the quotes mate. Reposted below.

Britain’s Daily Telegraph and Financial Times reported that London had agreed with Dublin, which has the backing of the European Union, to maintain regulatory “alignment” with the EU on both sides of the border to avoid a possible flare-up in the violence which troubled Northern Ireland for decades.

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker spoke to Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar by phone. EU lawmaker Philippe Lamberts, who met Juncker earlier on Monday, said the draft text on Ireland would commit Britain to “full alignment” on rules.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely think it’s more simple than that mate, almost to a man none of them want to leave this massive and very lucrative club for people just like themselves and they have found the way to f**k o

All this could have been avoided, if the EU had had the brains to throw that prick Cameron a bone when he was asking for a different deal for the UK, there never would have been a referendum. The

I had a conversation in the week with a bloke I do business with. He phones up sounding like he is going to be shot at dawn and tells me that another associate has taken over a dealership so now

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

The reuters article I posted along with the quotes mate. Reposted below.

Britain’s Daily Telegraph and Financial Times reported that London had agreed with Dublin, which has the backing of the European Union, to maintain regulatory “alignment” with the EU on both sides of the border to avoid a possible flare-up in the violence which troubled Northern Ireland for decades.

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker spoke to Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar by phone. EU lawmaker Philippe Lamberts, who met Juncker earlier on Monday, said the draft text on Ireland would commit Britain to “full alignment” on rules.

It would commit Britain to agreeing to full alignment of rules on of the Island of Ireland is how I read that when taken in context of everything else that has been said (and even the previous paragraph where it talks about maintaining "regulatory alignment on both sides of the border") on the deal.

If what you're saying was the case we wouldn't have the SNP and London politicians saying they want the same deal as N.I because they'd already have it. You wouldn't have the DUP complaining about N.I being set apart from the rest of the UK either because they wouldn't be...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/dec/04/theresa-may-heads-to-brussels-hoping-to-conclude-phase-one-of-brexit-talks-politics-live

More in-depth coverage than the Reuters article and it's all about no regulatory divergence on the island of Ireland not the whole of the UK.

Edited by BGD

That's fair enough but it's dead in the water if the DUP won't accept a border between our two islands. The only solution is for Britain to accept the same terms.

Thanks for clarifying that. Though now I'm not sure anybody knows exactly how this will work. It all seems a bit speculative.

• Like 2

I really can't see a way to sort the Irish border question that doesn't end up seriously pissing off at least one of (or both!) the sides.

Like I said before, clusterfuck! :laugh:

Edited by BGD

its simple, stick Arlene foster into mays place for negotiations and the uk will do well, may has messed it up. Arlene would do a better job and tell the eu to go fcuk itself, there needs to be a border between north and south or us in the north are going to get over swamped with scrounging human filfth coming here to cause havoc, if theres no gun running or bomb making then theres no worry about a border

• Like 1

If the vote would of been to stay in those who voted out wouldn't of got a mention . . The vote was out so out it should of BEEN not still dithering / haggling with those corrupt Fukcers in Europe who've dictatored to us for yrs & always in there favour , it was a Democratic vote so anyone who doesn't agree with that system go and live in a Dictatorship country !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now the scum known as the SNP are saying if ireland are allowed to stay in the single market so should scotland. They are c**ts of the highest order.

Fortunately were sick of them and there failure in running scotland. 

Also the divisions between us and are losing support daily. 

• Like 3

The reunification of Ireland has nothing to do with the border negotiations part of brexit. It's a trade issue, it really is that simple. There aren't hordes of villagers and suburbanites marching through the streets with blazing torches. The vast majority don't give a fig because basically there are too many societal and financial issues to make it an attractive notion in the cold light of day.

You guys in the UK are getting some really bad info on Irish politics from the likes of Jacob Rees Mog. What he said during the week about the motion of no confidence int he Taniste was close to 100% off the mark.

1 hour ago, scothunter said:

Now the scum known as the SNP are saying if ireland are allowed to stay in the single market so should scotland. They are c**ts of the highest order.

Fortunately were sick of them and there failure in running scotland. 

Also the divisions between us and are losing support daily. 

I see sidique khan't has also jumped on the band wagon calling for London to keep its membership :acute: