I was thinking of gettingba tortoise just for to keep younin the garden. When i was a kid i had one. In winter kept it in a box in garage while it hibernated. Now i don't understand all this pish about vivarium and heat lamps.

Wish i remember the type it was i had as a kid. No special lamps or fancy housing.

Fairly certain it would have been a Hermans or a Horsefield,if you buy a hermans now it has to have papers with it ,to prove it was captive bred.I think you would struggle to get one to hibernate through the winter now due to the mild temperatures,hence the vivs which create a constant climate,preventing them hibernating(A lot never made it through the winter) I kept both species uptil about 10 yrs ago,and also some Leopard tortoises which get really tame but grow very large,very quickly lol .The biggest problem was keeping them clean,the leopards must have pissed a pint each time and with the heat of the viv it soon smells if not constantly cleaned.I think the last Hermans hatchling I bought was about £160,right little character ,spent all day humping anything it could find lol

You can pick up tortoise hatchlings little as £50 now ,kept ours in one of those indoor guinea pig cages with heat lamp above.only just put them in A 4 ft viv couple months ago as toddler kept poking stuff through the bars.

Is that for a Hermans with the papers cites/defra? or a horsefield.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He was caught in a trap.

Had a couple of malaysian beaver.

I've got a pet Manatee/Sea Cow. Sorry my mistake, just put my glasses on and it's actually the wife, thought it was rather clever to be doing hoovering and washing up..

Posted Images

the guy at a little place called hummingbird nursery just by newhouse and salsburgh. has three meerkats some reindeer some huskies, its not really a nursery as he has a little cabin selling the same as burger vans and he sells knives and camo gear plus animal food and bedding.scot try the reptile place in deeds st airdrie just up from coatdyke fire station he had tortoise the last time i was in there

thre's a reptile shop in heavrtree, exeter and the owners have a pet meerkat.it runs around the shop during the day.

My old stomping ground, played football for Heavitree FC (grounds opposite the reptile shop), the Horse and groom was my pub then, the locals drank Natch at room temperature.... I preferred it out of the fridge... f**k all to do with exoctic pets, but didn't expect heavitree to be mentioned lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 1

Meerkats make me fcuking cringe now.....

Having spent several weeks working on a new meerkat enclosure & having mindless kunts saying to me all fcuking day "compare the meerkat .com....." & then laughing like they'd discovered comedy gold, I've never quite been able to look at those little fcukers in the same way again......

• Like 3
  • Haha 2