What Next!!!!!!!

Petition calls for compulsory CCTV in slaughterhouses

Campaigners are calling for cameras in slaughterhouses to be required by law.

Campaigners are calling for cameras in slaughterhouses to be required by law.

Published: 12:37

Monday 24 July 2017

Animal charities and political activists are petitioning the Scottish Parliament to introduce mandatory CCTV in Scotlands 35 abattoirs.

The move comes after SNP members passed a resolution in support of the call at their conference in 2016.

The petition has already gathered over 2000 signatures and the campaigners hope to reach 10,000 before it is handed in this autumn.

The Dowager Duchess of Hamilton was one of those who secured the resolution at the conference.

She said: As a member of the SNP I have advised the party to wake up to the fact that cruelty in slaughterhouses must stop.

Taking bold action and implementing party policy on mandatory CCTV in slaughterhouses would be hugely popular with the Scottish people, who expect the Scottish Government to stand up for animals.

Harry Huyton, director of the charity OneKind, said: Were helping bring this petition to Parliament because its now clear that the voluntary approach is simply not working.

Its not enough just to have a few cameras covering only parts of the slaughterhouse.

A mandatory requirement would mean CCTV throughout all slaughterhouses that can be accessed by independent monitors, providing a vital safeguard against cruelty.

Isobel Hutchinson, director of Animal Aid, also said that the charitys own investigations have consistently shown that slaughterhouse workers abuse animals when they think no one is watching.

Independently-monitored CCTV is a practical, proportionate measure that will detect and deter such cruelties, and provide evidence for prosecutions should it be needed. The Scottish Government must now enact the policy its party members voted for.

The Scottish Government recommends the installation of CCTV as best practice on a voluntary basis but critics of the current arrangement have said that the voluntary code also misses out some crucial details including how clear the footage is, where cameras are placed and who has the right to see the footage.

Earlier this year, France became the first country in Europe to announce CCTV will be compulsory and Italy, The Netherlands and Belgiums Flemish Region are expected to follow.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont see an issue with it Maybe the cctvs could pick up how barbaric halal slaughter really is

It's not only halal needs watching .There are some right unstable c**ts working in slaughterhouses .

Completely different. I've been a slaughter man and knacker man so I'm no soft arse....but them fckers are evil cnuts....seen it with my own eyes.   ... anyway that's off topic in a way   ....I do

Completely different. I've been a slaughter man and knacker man so I'm no soft arse....but them fckers are evil cnuts....seen it with my own eyes.

... anyway that's off topic in a way

....I don't see any issue with cameras in slaughter houses

• Like 4

Completely different. I've been a slaughter man and knacker man so I'm no soft arse....but them fckers are evil cnuts....seen it with my own eyes.

What about kosher meat ? Are the animals stunned first

Not sure....it was the attitude of the halal slaughterers that I didn't like....I know a lot of British slaughter men must be empty heads but I personally have always been sickened when seeing the mussies killing stuff.

Nope although the halal practices allow for a stun with a hammer, or reversible electroshock. The animal has to be alive before it's carotid artery is severed.

i'm a slaughterman and don't have an issue with the principles of cctv but it's taking the piss abit being filmed the whole day.there's vets on site all the time.

animal rights groups just want to make it so difficult for slaughterhouses to operate that they close.

• Like 2

Are you a moron all day or just half the day

When I worked the deer when it was legal I didn't have access to stunning equipment in the field

Does that make sense

Or do you need me to draw you diagrams in crayon

I'm blocking you if I can you're clearly a sad little boy on the wind up

Are you a moron all day or just half the day

When I worked the deer when it was legal I didn't have access to stunning equipment in the field

Does that make sense

Or do you need me to draw you diagrams in crayon

I'm blocking you if I can you're clearly a sad little boy on the wind up

you agree that halal slaughter is barbaric but it's ok in the field.thats double standards,hippocrosy and having it both ways how ever you want to dress it up.

if your principles are that flexible you'll go very far in life.