Passing Dogs On

Seems to me usually the problem is people buying in haste and then the realisation that they have a furry friend for the next decade or so and boredom soon sets in. If your do yor home work and have a bit of luck then most mutts should do the job required and lets face it for the vast majority of us it's not a job it's an enjoyable pastime. I have a young lurcher here who truth be told is no world beater but can't fault his effort, I could have gone to my uncle and got a pup of his dog which is proven and from what I have heard a top dog but in all honesty I probably couldn't do it justice and neither could the vast majority of moochers. But my little fella suits my needs and as long as he puts the effort in i get as much enjoyment as perhaps watching a more capable dog, think if more folk had a sensible approach to enjoying working dogs rather than chasing the holy grail then many fewer dogs would en up on the merry go around. That said sadly there are seemingly a good proportion of half wits in this game sadly atb

everybody wants the perfect lurcher but it don't exist.

• Like 4

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Believe me mate, I'd have to lie to get shot of mine. LolUnfortunately, when a mutt comes through my door it ain't going nowhere..... I'll find summat it can do, even if it's just stopping the neighbo

I'm with the majority on this one...   I bring pups in & would never move them on unless I was physically unable to take care of them.. which so far has never happened, touch wood.   If the do

As long as im happy with my dog i dont care what other folk think about them and as my wife says once we get a dog its here for life

As long as im happy with my dog i dont care what other folk think about them and as my wife says once we get a dog its here for life

yes that true here also,id rather pts a shit worker than pass it to life unknown.my dogs give thier heart and soul at night,so repay them with a good home life.csnt stand dog swappers,buyers,traders,and general dog mis treaters.a bit of kindness cost nout

• Like 5

It depends what you want really i for one will not keep a dog that isn't upto doing the job it was bred to do but I don't sell them either I'll either gift them to somebody I know that will give the dog the work it can do or I'll pts, I'll never sell an adult dog or let anybody I don't know have it and when I have done it to people in the past the deal is the dog comes back to me if they don't get on with it, it's not happened a lot and very not had to do it for a long time, but there's lads out there that havnt got the contacts I'm lucky enough to have I just wish they went about it a different way, I hate seeing endless 'good' dogs for sale on the Internet

Lol

Look at some of the most vaunted spunk in your pants bloodlines around

And look how many owners some of them had.....

Grow up lads, were not in Kansas anymore

aye and these "top men" often have broods that pump out litter after litter(some every break), it doesn't make it right
  • Like 1

one mans trash is another treasure....just don't get why people think its o.k to lie about a dog there shipping out, just be honest.

Believe me mate, I'd have to lie to get shot of mine. Lol

Unfortunately, when a mutt comes through my door it ain't going nowhere..... I'll find summat it can do, even if it's just stopping the neighbors cat shitting in the garden!

Matt

• Like 10

Seems to me usually the problem is people buying in haste and then the realisation that they have a furry friend for the next decade or so and boredom soon sets in. If your do yor home work and have a bit of luck then most mutts should do the job required and lets face it for the vast majority of us it's not a job it's an enjoyable pastime. I have a young lurcher here who truth be told is no world beater but can't fault his effort, I could have gone to my uncle and got a pup of his dog which is proven and from what I have heard a top dog but in all honesty I probably couldn't do it justice and neither could the vast majority of moochers. But my little fella suits my needs and as long as he puts the effort in i get as much enjoyment as perhaps watching a more capable, think if more folk had a sensible approach to enjoying working dogs rather than chasing the holy grail then many fewer dogs would end up on the merry go around. That said sadly there are seemingly a good proportion of half wits in this game sadly atb

Fair play, that's my out look however that first line is absolutely laughable

Some lads live and breathe lurchers, as in they have no other interests , none.

Don't think this is an exaggeration

Twenty years ago I met a lad who had two off the best lurchers I've ever seen , I've mentioned them before but these two brindle litter brothers were weapons , killing machines, 100% on everything , as in everything , rabbits live to hand hares day and night , fox roe all preban

To a teenage stiffy these two lean mean as stoat bull hybrids were mannah from heaven

People on here would have bred these two to death, the start of a dynasty as someone used to say

The next season , for 500 quid each they were gone, away over the north east to the Hexham farmer with the bull line

My mate never lamped or dug again, he got a hare dog from a top line and now keeps his own stuff, as good as anything behind old puss

A few years later I visited the farmer , and saw the brindle boys again, looking sharp and fresh in their winter years as ever and came away with a small wee brindle bitch of my own

But hey, they just should have been shot as no one sells a good dog do they......

Seems to me usually the problem is people buying in haste and then the realisation that they have a furry friend for the next decade or so and boredom soon sets in. If your do yor home work and have a bit of luck then most mutts should do the job required and lets face it for the vast majority of us it's not a job it's an enjoyable pastime. I have a young lurcher here who truth be told is no world beater but can't fault his effort, I could have gone to my uncle and got a pup of his dog which is proven and from what I have heard a top dog but in all honesty I probably couldn't do it justice and neither could the vast majority of moochers. But my little fella suits my needs and as long as he puts the effort in i get as much enjoyment as perhaps watching a more capable, think if more folk had a sensible approach to enjoying working dogs rather than chasing the holy grail then many fewer dogs would end up on the merry go around. That said sadly there are seemingly a good proportion of half wits in this game sadly atb

Fair play, that's my out look however that first line is absolutely laughable

Some lads live and breathe lurchers, as in they have no other interests , none.

Don't think this is an exaggeration

Twenty years ago I met a lad who had two off the best lurchers I've ever seen , I've mentioned them before but these two brindle litter brothers were weapons , killing machines, 100% on everything , as in everything , rabbits live to hand hares day and night , fox roe all preban

To a teenage stiffy these two lean mean as stoat bull hybrids were mannah from heaven

People on here would have bred these two to death, the start of a dynasty as someone used to say

The next season , for 500 quid each they were gone, away over the north east to the Hexham farmer with the bull line

My mate never lamped or dug again, he got a hare dog from a top line and now keeps his own stuff, as good as anything behind old puss

A few years later I visited the farmer , and saw the brindle boys again, looking sharp and fresh in their winter years as ever and came away with a small wee brindle bitch of my own

But hey, they just should have been shot as no one sells a good dog do they......

I agree occasionally good dogs change hands but let's be honest these dogs are in the minority. As for first line laughable I wish it wasn't true but have a quick look on any for sale website under dogs and have a read through the reasons sale and it soon becomes obvious a lot are just people bored with their dogs.

You don't have to explain about some people living for their dogs as many in family have been the same, my uncle has never worked a day in his life (unless you count for her majesty's pleasure) and lives and breathes lurchers.

On a face book group there is loads of dogs up for sale and the common denominator seems to be they are owned by young lads who are obviously going through a phase as it were and got bored or what ever. Nothing wrong with going through a phase it happens just a shame for the dogs. I bet most are more than serviceable and just need a tidy permanent home to shine I reckon

• Like 1

Personally I don't feel you will get the best out of a dog if you don't form a bond with it and I for one am not heartless enough to get rid of a dog you've formed said bond with just because it doesn't do everything you hoped it would. To most people a dog is not just a tool like a ferret finder or a lamp it's a companion and part of the family, imagine telling the wife or kids that Rex is being PTS or got rid off cause he jibbed on a fox??? The bollockings I've got for bringing the dogs home in a state all ripped up let alone getting rid of one. If you let them dogs are a lot more than just a tool, like all things it takes time also something that the vast majority of lurchers being peddled on the internet were never given. Everyone is allowed there own opinion but any dog I own is with me for life irrespective of hunting abilities.

• Like 4