Controversial !

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some old adverts in magazines from 1900s ,,that mention Blue polls,

There's a lot of bull in some lads yards. bull shit.

i first posted that photo , its nuttall bred , and before you all start saying staff blood and making fools of yourself you need to know that dog was tiny , the bull bllood in what is now called the p

Posted Images

Blue Paul's were a mongrelised breed,

nothing hormoniginsed or alike ,

they were popular along the Galloway coast and Ayrshire at the turn of the 19th century and were in all likelihood an amalgamation of the native Scottish terriers in existence mongrelised with the influx of wheatens and Kerry blue types brought over from Ireland with the immigrants

They weren't a fighting breed or a game dog, just a typical farm cur terrier for ratting foxingvsndca bit of scrapping maybe in the side

As for the name, we'll like in the world of pattedales , names stick, like nuttall , Gould and Stevens to particular lines showing carried traits , hence the breeders nickname being affixed to the type

Blue Paul was an actual person

As for the dogs themselves, imagine a less thickset wheaten type with rough, smooths and wires , colours varying from champagne through to grizzle

They weren't blue

If i could be bothered , I'd pester my mam to go upstairs at hers and text me some of the pics of my grandads old dogs, but I can't

So I won't

In finality, blue Paul's aren't an archaic mysterious fighting breed, just a roustabout farm cur conglomerated from mixing terriers and probably sheep dogs

Nothing to get excited about

• Like 5

Blue Paul's were a mongrelised breed,

nothing hormoniginsed or alike ,

they were popular along the Galloway coast and Ayrshire at the turn of the 19th century and were in all likelihood an amalgamation of the native Scottish terriers in existence mongrelised with the influx of wheatens and Kerry blue types brought over from Ireland with the immigrants

They weren't a fighting breed or a game dog, just a typical farm cur terrier for ratting foxingvsndca bit of scrapping maybe in the side

As for the name, we'll like in the world of pattedales , names stick, like nuttall , Gould and Stevens to particular lines showing carried traits , hence the breeders nickname being affixed to the type

Blue Paul was an actual person

As for the dogs themselves, imagine a less thickset wheaten type with rough, smooths and wires , colours varying from champagne through to grizzle

They weren't blue

If i could be bothered , I'd pester my mam to go upstairs at hers and text me some of the pics of my grandads old dogs, but I can't

So I won't

In finality, blue Paul's aren't an archaic mysterious fighting breed, just a roustabout farm cur conglomerated from mixing terriers and probably sheep dogs

Nothing to get excited about

Good post, If you do get the chance would you put up those photos' of your grandads old dogs.

Just interested in the type. I never heard of that type before. You learn something new every day :-)

It would make you wonder why Mr. Breay would say that he brought bitches up to Northumberland to breed off them.

• Like 1

My own theory is that the dogs followed the people, as the Irish diaspora settled in Galloway ayrshire and Dumfriesshire and possibly cumbrias west coast they brought the old Irish type wheaten glen and Kerry terriers

It's well known they faced prejudice in south west Scotland so they tinkered along and settled wherever along the border ,

Look at the breeds along the way , the blue Paul, the dandie dinmont the border and the bedlington

All mongrolised types suited to be cutting around in or under a pony and trap , I believe they all share the same nomadic origin from the camp dogs bred and picked up along the way ,

If you google blue Paul , you get photos of a prick eared bull type

Nonsense

The lifestyle for such a dog to exist just simply wasn't in situ in the environs of that period of time in that locale

• Like 3

my understanding was the blue paul was a guarding herding type of dog with a terrible attitude with dogs or humans and were from the kirkintilloch area and died out long long ago at a guess before anyone on here's parents were born.

Edited by onion jonny
  • Like 3

That's what the history books tell us Len but the dog that Stiff is describing is more like the wheaten type and the early history of the wheaten is that of a farm cur too.

BUT, there's stories of Blue Pauls being fought in organised fights and that the Staff and the Blue Paul did meet many times.

But The Stiffmeisters posts are very interesting. I'd love to see those photos too.

And as has been said it would be strange for a breeder like Mr Breay to use a rough farm cur over his terriers. Unless of course that rough farm cur was very much like a wheaten. But Mr Breays terriers ,IMO anyways, never looked like wheaten or similar crosses.

That's what the history books tell us Len but the dog that Stiff is describing is more like the wheaten type and the early history of the wheaten is that of a farm cur too.

BUT, there's stories of Blue Pauls being fought in organised fights and that the Staff and the Blue Paul did meet many times.

But The Stiffmeisters posts are very interesting. I'd love to see those photos too.

And as has been said it would be strange for a breeder like Mr Breay to use a rough farm cur over his terriers. Unless of course that rough farm cur was very much like a wheaten. But Mr Breays terriers ,IMO anyways, never looked like wheaten or similar crosses.

crosses can come out funny too though(as im sure you know yourself)-saw a glen x beagle(accident)-very like an irish terrier.
  • Like 1

if it was any good it must have just been absorbed into the other types of pit dogs
  • Like 1

My own theory is that the dogs followed the people, as the Irish diaspora settled in Galloway ayrshire and Dumfriesshire and possibly cumbrias west coast they brought the old Irish type wheaten glen and Kerry terriers

It's well known they faced prejudice in south west Scotland so they tinkered along and settled wherever along the border ,

Look at the breeds along the way , the blue Paul, the dandie dinmont the border and the bedlington

All mongrolised types suited to be cutting around in or under a pony and trap , I believe they all share the same nomadic origin from the camp dogs bred and picked up along the way ,

If you google blue Paul , you get photos of a prick eared bull type

Nonsense

The lifestyle for such a dog to exist just simply wasn't in situ in the environs of that period of time in that locale

Find this dead interesting . Is what you are saying all info from your family Stiff or from books etc.? Get the pics up and anymore info.

• Like 1