Getting Them Fit.

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether its a running dog or a terrier get it out doing what its bred for .All this talk of road work and cardio is for dreamers with no real intention of working the animals .

How many days a week do you work your dogs during the season FD? Not having a go....

Not all of us have the luxury of owning their own business, being a professional Terrierman or fancy picking up the dole cheque every week, although the later isn't by choice for some. I work 5 days a week to pay the bills and provide for my family as like most parents only want the best for them. So working the dogs is confined to weekends, as much as possible over Christmas and the odd self prescribed sick day if possible. The dogs get their work and I do plenty of miles during the week to keep them fit as to me this can only be good for dog and man. A great time to clear your mind after a long day's work. Still waiting to win the lottery. I even used a bike before and the dogs were in great nick. I wouldn't feel I did the dog justice leaving sitting in a kennel all week and expect them to perform to their limits. Smasher had it right also it depends on the dogs working style and some would get blown out fairly quickly if not kept in good condition. Down this way you would see hound men, terriermen, lurchermen putting in the miles most evenings. Not many quads or being able to drive right up next to digs on hunt days - plentiful good old fashioned leg work. I say fair play to those who care enough to get out when it's far easier to sit at home on your arse. Well are all different. Good hunting to all!

• Like 9

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the 70 and year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether i

Posted Images

I think the key is to strike a balance and good exercise as in biking ,running, walking and even swimming etc can only benifit a dogs body and mind and then work will complete there level of fitness and stamina to the required level. I think most people would agree that running them to the point of exhaustion would be counter productive. It depends on the situation would running a dog for 45 mins behind a quad on a hunt day on the way to check earths wear him out before he is sent down to work for 2 hours. Equally a dog left cramped up in a kennel for 2 weeks before a dig will be detrimental and have him blowing out his arse after 10 minutes. A wise man once said let common sense prevail.

• Like 3

Pulling foxes ain't nothing new and is frankly a pain in the arse .Gave a few away for that very reason .

Too easy for all of us to only view things through our own work with the dogs.

Pain in the arse pulling when digging (unless they yank them straight out) but a godsend in rock and undiggable places.

I mostly follow hounds on foot with a terrier the less the jog between digs takes out of them the better. I realise it's very different in different places and with different work. A terrier worked out of a box on a quad, gets a better chance to recover between digs and can pace itself while digging. A terrier following on foot can pace itself during the dig but has no control over how hard or long the run is between digs or work in rocks.

• Like 2

Quads -read about them in j.blucks and harcombes writings -all i think is faggots of men and faggots of dogs-ive seen old,old men and their terriers always be in the rigjt place at the right time.technology has the world fukt

Harcombe and bluck don't hunt hounds if you had a boss on the phone to you to hurry up a quad is getting you there alot quicker than your feet plus youl have every tool you'd need

Quads -read about them in j.blucks and harcombes writings -all i think is faggots of men and faggots of dogs-ive seen old,old men and their terriers always be in the rigjt place at the right time.technology has the world fukt

Quads are amazing for getting round earths, you wouldn't get round many holes on 28,000acres on foot in the uplands carrying everything you could possibly need,

you mightnt-ever meet terriermen on bicycles,tools strapped to bar,dog in bag on their back- used do it myself one time-how do you think people got around before the motor engine..them boys might havd seen the same cover hunted 30 or 40 years in a row..

No, I've seen dogs fail but never through lack of fitness, they're barking at them, not bench pressing them.

I had a seven hour run around in an earth a few years back, the bitch never showed once, nothing of a dig but she could hardly walk after. Her fitness never showed and her heart never gave up either

5D42DE51-F854-4635-B5A9-8704DE6DC419_zps[/[url=http://s1206.photobucket.com/user/smasher78/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-02/321EF613-BFE7-4331-9597-6B7E7A621DFA_zpsl5d1th0g.png.html]321EF613-BFE7-4331-9597-6B7E7A621DFA_zps

DillyDog I think you'll find this evidence totally discredits your above statement

YIS SMASHER

• Like 3