Getting Them Fit.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the 70 and year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether i

Posted Images

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether its a running dog or a terrier get it out doing what its bred for .All this talk of road work and cardio is for dreamers with no real intention of working the animals .

• Like 13

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether its a running dog or a terrier get it out doing what its bred for .All this talk of road work and cardio is for dreamers with no real intention of working the animals .

agreed. Daily walk, start of the season start the work easy and by the time you've built up the workload you have a fit dog.
  • Like 1

Giving a dog plenty of work will keep him on his toes,but what about the ones that can only be dug every 2-3 weeks sometimes longer,something's got to fill the gap or your going to end up with a soft dog that is blown out quickly,especially if his work style is that that warrants a couple weeks off between digs,

• Like 1

I've never walked a terrier or ran one behind a bike in my life. I walk them in the summer to get them out of the yard but that's it. They walk two short fields to empty out and have a bit of a walk almost every day but the last thing I'm thinking about is their fitness.

• Like 2

I've never walked a terrier or ran one behind a bike in my life. I walk them in the summer to get them out of the yard but that's it. They walk two short fields to empty out and have a bit of a walk almost every day but the last thing I'm thinking about is their fitness.

Well perhaps you should be thinking of their fitness coz all the pro's on here say so lol

Have you ever seen a dog fail to complete a dig because they've not had enough gas in the tank?

No, I've seen dogs fail but never through lack of fitness, they're barking at them, not bench pressing them.

I had a seven hour run around in an earth a few years back, the bitch never showed once, nothing of a dig but she could hardly walk after. Her fitness never showed and her heart never gave up either

• Like 3

Al this talk of fitness but what about skills training, doing the ball work is just as important, I let my dog out in the garden and blind fold them so as to get them used to going around in the dark, also I get a rope and tie their front and back legs up, this gets them used to travelling around on the belly and on their sides, 2 or 3 times a day I surprise attack them by f***ing a bucket of clay in their faces when they not looking, this gets them used to something digging on in front of them and gets their eyes used to having dirt in them.

• Like 12

Al this talk of fitness but what about skills training, doing the ball work is just as important, I let my dog out in the garden and blind fold them so as to get them used to going around in the dark, also I get a rope and tie their front and back legs up, this gets them used to travelling around on the belly and on their sides, 2 or 3 times a day I surprise attack them by f***ing a bucket of clay in their faces when they not looking, this gets them used to something digging on in front of them and gets their eyes used to having dirt in them.

?