Whats Your Favorite Venison Dish

i was sat eating a lovely piece of venison for tea earlier and was just wondering what others favorite food was to have along side a nice piece of venison.

theres probably better things to have a nice piece of loin with, but i had a piece of fallow loin that i was lucky enough to get from my brother inlaw off his estate that he works on with a nice covering of gravy some peas and mash patatoes nothing fancy but i bloody enjoyed it. cooked to perfection.

ive got a couple of chops to go at sometime in the future and must say i am looking forward to having them served up.

i could do with a few ideas for the misses lol.

• Like 1

I visited a fantastic restaurant called Vita Bella in Essex about a week ago for the wife's birthday and I had wild Boar ravioli as a starter but the main was incredible a fillet of venison served with a roast pear and a thick red wine sauce the venison was cooked to perfection melt in the mouth and pink inside the pear really complimented it.

I tried finding it on there website but it was a seasonal special.

• Like 1

I like saddle or fillet with a little salt and pepper, served "blue." maybe chips to mop up the blood.

Roast haunch served medium rare with gravy, roast potatoes, yorkshires etc

Rolled shoulder stuffed with Rosemary, thyme leeks, garlic, breadcrumbs, butter and slow roasted in a little red wine.

Neck and shanks in the slow cooker in stock, tinned tomatoes, onions, red wine or guiness and a little marmite to beef it up.

Mince I make into burgers, sausages, bolognese, lasagne or best yet 2 day chilli.

• Like 4

Cragman. What the heck can you possibly do with venison in a slow cooker except ruin it? Mind you I'm being slightly critical in as much as the haunch and inner/outer fillets are exceptional needing very little cooking. However foreleg/ neck and other bits and bobs make great pies, casseroles and stews so maybe it makes sense. Would suggest a look at Hugh Fernley Whittensol's cook books to get a bit more out of your beast. Jok.

medalions salt and black pepper flash fried in butter removed to rest deglase the pan with port splash of water and half an oxo a good spoon of cranberry sauce small shake of worcestersire sauce and reduce ,serve with brazed cabbage done in orange with apples new spuds and peas

• Like 2

Take the 2 inner fillets out, flash fry them, serve them in thick granary bread with Stilton and redcurrant jelly.... bloody lovely...

Done the saddle off a roe on the bone Boxing Day, cooked it medium rare then took the fillets off, sliced em up and put it on the table withallthe meats, pickles and roasties etc... had a load of people over and that was the first thing gone...

My eldest daughters favourite meat is venison...