What Is It !!

What is it with one forum inperticaly about shooting quarry at more than 40 yards with airguns .

If you do mention that you shoot at 40+ YARDS ,my god they jump on your back in no time .

We all know about fieldcraft and Mark is a great advocator for this ,along with most of us but sometimes a 40 +yard shot is the only way .

As most will know i do take long shots but and that is a big but ONLY IN IDEAL CONDITIONS and like i have said on many occasions ,i know my setup inside out and practice , practice and practice . IMO I can't see anything wrong with it .

I wonder how many of the who shoot under the 40 yard, never wound a quarry and if they say never then IMO they are lies !!

What are your thoughts on this ?

• Like 3

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the Airgun hunting press has, over the last twenty odd years, created a sort of "Politically Correct" range distance where 35 yards is the absolute maximum a "responsible" air rifle hunter mus

ill take a 45yrd shot over a 8yrd shot, going from hold under to holdover at close ranges is a nightmare... at least its plain sailing and plus mil's after the 30's

Just took a rabbit out last night at 47yrds put a pellet in the back of its head   instant sleep ,   atvbjimmy :thumbs:

Posted Images

What is it with one forum inperticaly about shooting quarry at more than 40 yards with airguns .

If you do mention that you shoot at 40+ YARDS ,my god they jump on your back in no time .

We all know about fieldcraft and Mark is a great advocator for this ,along with most of us but sometimes a 40 +yard shot is the only way .

As most will know i do take long shots but and that is a big but ONLY IN IDEAL CONDITIONS and like i have said on many occasions ,i know my setup inside out and practice , practice and practice . IMO I can't see anything wrong with it .

I wonder how many of the who shoot under the 40 yard, never wound a quarry and if they say never then IMO they are lies !!

Agree entirely. Myself, I'm not that good a shot yet to comfortably take on a shot at more than 30 yards. But my son and his best mate regularly, and very accurately, take vermin at well over 40+ yards. But again, like you say, they both pracice practice practice, and again like you say, know their setups inside out, and have superb fieldcraft. But sometimes longer shots are the only chances you get.

I agree people shooting under 40 yards probably do wound quarry from time to time, but obviously the chance of doing so increases with distance, The very fact you have to be experienced and have ideal conditions to shoot at that distance means it is borderline.

Just because longer shots are the only chances you get some days, doesn't mean you need to take them. There's always another day.

Just my humble opinion as always.

There are places on my bit of pasture where I know I can take a successful long shot.

Out in the open, no chance but where there is continuous dry stone wall, acting as a wind break then I am good to go.

Generally I stick to 15 to 20 strides, my built in range finder and the experience of shooting across the same land.

I am no great marksman, probably why .22 works for me, but I get good results sticking to what I know.

If you practice enough and know your limits, your 50 yards will be as good as my 20.

• Like 1

its all down to confidence and if you don't have it don't do it!

if your rifles zeroed at 40yrd and you use mil dots pushing to 60yrd is not a problem ...

the problem is windage but if your right on your hold over and at that range its a brain shot its either lights out or a clean miss!

just my view and I'm not into injuring animals

• Like 3

if your rifles zeroed at 40yrd and you use mil dots pushing to 60yrd is not a problem ...

the problem is windage but if your right on your hold over and at that range its a brain shot its either lights out or a clean miss!

I don't think any of us are but i will admit i have even at 30 yards but quickly backed up with a clean kill

I don't think any of us are but i will admit i have even at 30 yards but quickly backed up with a clean kill

so have i and probably most of us on here!

a damaged pellet can be an injury at 20yrd so i reload instantly as a mater of corse just in case. and i never shoot anything with my last pellet in the mag!

Look at some stats. The best shooters in the country often take 30 shots every Sunday morning. Their targets are anything from 8-45 yards. Their longest shots will be kill-zones from between 30mm & 40mm somewhat larger than the 1" kill that we look for when hunting. They average around 57 so that's three misses. They practice a lot, are very consistent with some of the best equipment out there. They are supremely confident and they have to take the shot. The one thing they do not have to think about is movement of the target and that for me is the key reason for keeping it to a maximum of 40 yards. No matter how good/confident you think you are you have absolutely no control over what the quarry is about to do.

a lot of the lads on here shoot the same sitty tree from the same hide on a regular basis at up to 60yrd and the hunting posts show good results!!

cant remember the exact yardage but this was at least 60 it was in a post i did last year at some point!

its on an incline the conditions were perfect and it didn't let me have half a dozen pot shots at it... instant dispatch!

the shot was taken from under the bush

post-102306-0-30551000-1485619083_thumb.jpg

post-102306-0-73393700-1485619107_thumb.jpg

i wouldn't of shot it if id didn't feel confident

im not having a go its about how some people choose to hunt

atb si

• Like 1

Comes down to three factors, if the equipment used is up to it and the person using it has the skills, and the law of the land.

I just cannot help but wonder if it was a matter of feeding your family that day or them going without food if the long shot would not be taken by all, and not give a monkeys if it was an instant dispatch or not.

How good it is to have the choice and not be one of those who do not.

Edited by just-A-snap

I have taken shots on occasions that have been over 40 yards, Conditions have had to be perfect and because I have a chrono, can test the power and use a ballistic calculator I can take the shots, because I also take the time to practice them! I take the time to ensure that what Chairgun says actually is, and by and large it is ok, At the moment x14 on the Nighteye gives me 5 metre steps and because I set up prior and tested I have taken a shot that I could not have made otherwise, rested, still air conditions and a dead bunny at 40 metres!