Close To Death Experiences

I had been to the dentist in the morning and was back too late to go to school for the afternoon, so my brother myself and two mates went fishing for the afternoon. Our fishing was walking up the river spinning for trout, we went further up the river than planned and I had to be back for a paper round. There was a short cut back home down a single line railway that took stone from the quarry down to the main line.

As we are walking down the line the daily train comes so we hide in some bushes by the side of the line and wait till the engine is out of sight, then we would jump on the steps of the ballast trucks and have a ride down to the main line. This particular day I had a lab pup with me and held him in my arms with my rod and a bag of trout. To get on the steps as the trucks were moving we would hold on to the hand rail running up the sides of steps and pull ourselves on to the steps. As I did not have a spare hand to pull myself on to the steps I ran along side the steps and tried to jump up on to the steps, but I missed and fell between the moving trucks, all I can remember is twisting between the wheels of the truck and thinking I am going to die, I could not tell you how long it went on for as the next thing I remember is sitting in a ditch at the side of the line.

My first words were "I am not dead" then I felt a numbness in my right hand and could not feel my thumb. When I looked I could not see anything as my plastic bomber jacket had been ripped and the sleeve was hanging over my hand. When I pulled the sleeve back up over my hand all I could see was my thumb flopping around my middle finger hanging on by a piece of skin and where my knuckles of my little and ring fingers should have been just a bloody mess with the bones behind the knuckles sticking out. The funny thing was even though I was just gone 15 there was no panic, and I was lucid enough to say we had to walk to the nearest farm to phone for an ambulance. When we got to the farm, which just happened to be owned by my uncles brother, his wife panicked when she saw the state of my hand, she phoned for an ambulance and was asked if they had my fingers, so one of my mates had to go back and pick them up. The blood loss was pretty substantial as you would expect and she wanted to give me strong black tea for shock. But I told her that I had not eaten all day and they could give me anaesthetic sooner because of that.

I had done some St Johns ambulance training and some of it stuck, I told them to apply a tourniquet to my arm to try and slow the blood loss, but it's strange, as there was not really any pain as such just an aching numbness from the elbow down. I think I used all my luck up that day.

TC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not me, but my auld man, he fell into a vat of acid when he was 18 at a yard in glasgow, screamed as he went in and swallowed some, he has burns all down his left hand side where the skin melted and s

at seven i fell 20ft from a building breaking my arm and knocking myself out, at 32 i was in a head on crash i was driving a 16ton truck the other lad was driving a volkeswagon van he was killed i had

worked on a local ferry [river tyne] taking men to & from shipyards in ,s the skipper pointed to a couple of kids waving arms trying to get our attention -we spotted a kid in water and skipper tur

Had a run in with a fella in a pub one night and told him id punch the head off him and he left so thought nothing more of it then on the way home out of no were the cnut jumps out with a sawn off so i made a grab for him as he was pulling it up to let rip and it went off and i ended up with pellets in my face legs arm and one of my fingers i still have some of the pellets in me i was lucky that night.

• Like 1

i got a infection in my sinuses from sinusitus back in 2007, anyway i started getting real bad headaches which were making actually be sick from pain after a couple of days my right eye went lazy and almost shut. had a trip or 2 in out of the doctors and the hospitial. cut a long story short in the end i got taken to the hospitial by a friend where the doctors gave me some nasal spray and told me to go home, to which i replied i aint going as there is something seriously a matter with me.

next thing i know i am being brought out of a induced coma i had undergone a trip in a air ambulance and a 7hour emergency brain operation to remove 200ml of abscess of my brain that had grown from my sinuses into my brain from the infection. surgen told me if the abscess had burst it would have been game over.

• Like 2

Got held up at gunpoint in africa, genuinelly thought i was going to die.

My eldest daughter is manageress of a ladbrooks she's been held up twice :no: she's now just finishing her degrees in accountancy and moving on thank fek.

Bloody hell, thats bad shit that, no wonder she moved careers.

i was in a car accident with 3 other lads we rolled the car on a back lane one summers evening which run parallel with the train track. the car rolled end to end to start with and as the car flipped i was in the passengers seat and watched the driver come out of his seat hit the sun roof then he bounced of the windscreen and somehow i managed to grab him it all seamed like slow motion. after a couple of rolls the car slid for a while on its roof. whilst we were sliding on the roof i remember one of the lads in the back saying were upside down sliding on the roof aint we boys lol. when we stopped i remember letting go of the driver and he fell out of my arms and landed on the roof as we were upside down, my seat belt saved both of us that night.

the 2 lads in the back swapped seats during the accident but were fine, we all got out through the windscreen which had popped out during the role after my mate bounced of it. there was cans of beer cds bits of car all scattered on the road. the fence between the railway track and road looked as though somebody had strimmed up against it thats how close we were to going through the fence onto the railway line. as we got out the car a tractor was coming down the road with a load of bails on a trailor and for some daft reason we all stood against the car as if to try and hide it.

• Like 3

Too many ????

Push bike crash at speed going down a hill with no hands.

Hit by a car and flung into the air, landed with my head about 2" from cracking the corner of the kerb.

Held up with a shotgun (ex boss was fuucking idiot who pissed people off)

Chased by about 100 angry mob on that estate at the back of Harry Ramsdons in Salford (told you the ex boss was a cnut)

Had to climb into a flat 5 stories high between two windows in my suit. Slipped and somehow just managed to stop myself dropping to my death.

Recent one was, I was stood at one of the busiest roads here in Barca and some clown cut up a motorcycle which had nowhere to go but to the right. Towards the island I'm stood on, bike ground to a halt about 3m away and that was only thanks to the riders quick thinking by pushing the bike into the floor to slow it's momentum.

I had been to the dentist in the morning and was back too late to go to school for the afternoon, so my brother myself and two mates went fishing for the afternoon. Our fishing was walking up the river spinning for trout, we went further up the river than planned and I had to be back for a paper round. There was a short cut back home down a single line railway that took stone from the quarry down to the main line.

As we are walking down the line the daily train comes so we hide in some bushes by the side of the line and wait till the engine is out of sight, then we would jump on the steps of the ballast trucks and have a ride down to the main line. This particular day I had a lab pup with me and held him in my arms with my rod and a bag of trout. To get on the steps as the trucks were moving we would hold on to the hand rail running up the sides of steps and pull ourselves on to the steps. As I did not have a spare hand to pull myself on to the steps I ran along side the steps and tried to jump up on to the steps, but I missed and fell between the moving trucks, all I can remember is twisting between the wheels of the truck and thinking I am going to die, I could not tell you how long it went on for as the next thing I remember is sitting in a ditch at the side of the line.

My first words were "I am not dead" then I felt a numbness in my right hand and could not feel my thumb. When I looked I could not see anything as my plastic bomber jacket had been ripped and the sleeve was hanging over my hand. When I pulled the sleeve back up over my hand all I could see was my thumb flopping around my middle finger hanging on by a piece of skin and where my knuckles of my little and ring fingers should have been just a bloody mess with the bones behind the knuckles sticking out. The funny thing was even though I was just gone 15 there was no panic, and I was lucid enough to say we had to walk to the nearest farm to phone for an ambulance. When we got to the farm, which just happened to be owned by my uncles brother, his wife panicked when she saw the state of my hand, she phoned for an ambulance and was asked if they had my fingers, so one of my mates had to go back and pick them up. The blood loss was pretty substantial as you would expect and she wanted to give me strong black tea for shock. But I told her that I had not eaten all day and they could give me anaesthetic sooner because of that.

I had done some St Johns ambulance training and some of it stuck, I told them to apply a tourniquet to my arm to try and slow the blood loss, but it's strange, as there was not really any pain as such just an aching numbness from the elbow down. I think I used all my luck up that day.

TC

Did they manage to put your fingers back on ?

TC

Unfortunately not. My thumb was dislocated, and my middle finger was sewn back on but the tendon was cut and had to be joined so I cannot straighten it.

WP_20161007_001_zpsssaonnhd.jpg

WP_20161007_002_zpsoxotnbfp.jpg

TC

TC

Unfortunately not. My thumb was dislocated, and my middle finger was sewn back on but the tendon was cut and had to be joined so I cannot straighten it.

WP_20161007_001_zpsssaonnhd.jpg

TC

???

• Like 2

I had a paper cut once .........

Was that while doing admin in Afghanistan?

Ooooo no I never crawled out from under the pile of osprey body armour when I was out there ... it was a long 6 months lol ......

• Like 1

TC

Was the lab pup ok...?