Tight Places

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got lucky. A fox in tight place, terriers loose with no collars on and no shovel to hand can often result in tears..

I'd a black bitch in the 90s that was only 10 months old she'd never seen anything. I was out walking her on land I thought I knew well, she put a fox out of a double ditch and chased it over a hill.

Lead walking on all land you mean, you only think you know places well until you have a terrier running loose one day and it disappears only for you to find its working away underground somewhere you'

Posted Images

Lead walking on all land you mean, you only think you know places well until you have a terrier running loose one day and it disappears only for you to find its working away underground somewhere you've walked past 100 times. It only takes the one time to be caught out. The only time I've a terrier of the lead is with a collar on it

The only time i have a terrier on a leash is to and from hunting ground,then they are released,often 3 or more.Do accidents happen? certainly,do i walk past quarry that a leashed terrier misses?,possibly not.Ive lost more terriers that saw work from the restrictions of a leash than i have that where less restricted.I like to know the lie of the land and hunt accordingly and often source a factor that was not present the times ive hunted it before.Every time a terrier is taken out there is a probability it will not come home,leashed or free and we have to take that into the equation and accept that as fate or desist from hunting.I work them free and take "me chances",others restrict them and take theirs.
i agree with you 100% Morton what I was saying was I wouldn't be letting multiple terriers off lead at any one time whether I think I know the ground or not, even if I'm only out exercising them. If I'm out looking a hunt there'll be one terrier running loose with a collar on at all times letting them hunt naturally. I exercise them the same, one at a time off the lead with a collar on, better safe than sorry. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 3

My old jr never left home with out his locator on even ferreting. Would often find a fox where you wouldn't expect and I never left with out a shovel and a steel handle one at that :laugh: He was all ways off lead unless we was specifically after foxes The rest was down to lady luck

Fine little jr there too :thumbs:

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

IMAG1991_1_zps9ob9sden.jpg

This little shit is 10 years old.got to be walked everywhere collared up.simply because he can find Charlie boy where you've never seen any .had to find him many times .even just on a basic exercise walk.

• Like 4

My old man in his younger days regularly hunted 2 or 3 terriers off the lead as he hunted quarrys an rockpiles ...he new as the dogs picked up a gear that ther was a fox to ground and try an get up to the dogs an chain them up .... But not always could archive to catch one so two or 3 dogs could be in but at the time it dident bother him as he could shout the dogs out at eny old time...thing os he had no one there to tell him how to do it ... It was all trail an error.. Till you learn better

My old man in his younger days regularly hunted 2 or 3 terriers off the lead as he hunted quarrys an rockpiles ...he new as the dogs picked up a gear that ther was a fox to ground and try an get up to the dogs an chain them up .... But not always could archive to catch one so two or 3 dogs could be in but at the time it dident bother him as he could shout the dogs out at eny old time...thing os he had no one there to tell him how to do it ... It was all trail an error.. Till you learn better

Morton what would happen if all 3 dogs dropped into a big place under a rock seam

My mutts drop in on a regular basis and often enter in pairs,the 3rd terrier is a sapling and is kept under closer control.At times it as not been an ideal situation and needed dealing with,any terrier dropping in is 1 hole away from a major incident and we deal with such accordingly,more than 2 terriers in can make the situation a tad more fraught and a tad easier.The sapling is there as a back-up for when the next grafter is lost,we all lose them no matter how careful we are and i know for a fact the sapling will at some time move up the ladder and another will have to follow.I only release the mutts on known ground any other ground i do my homework first,as we know that is not a guarantee,it swings the balance to an acceptable level of tolerance.

Your asking for trouble having 3 terriers of any breed off lose FD not just Beddies ATB RT

There are Bedlingtons and then there are other Bedlingtons.In over 30 years ive never lost terriers entering as pairs and have purposely entered them at times,ive lost my share of individuals entering.The main things to take into consideration,know the lie of the land and know your charges and how they work,alone or together.

Your asking for trouble having 3 terriers of any breed off lose FD not just Beddies ATB RT

There are Bedlingtons and then there are other Bedlingtons.In over 30 years ive never lost terriers entering as pairs and have purposely entered them at times,ive lost my share of individuals entering.The main things to take into consideration,know the lie of the land and know your charges and how they work,alone or together.

hi can i ask why you would enter two dogs to ground is there something to be gained by this, personally i think it causes more problems than it cures.

Your asking for trouble having 3 terriers of any breed off lose FD not just Beddies ATB RT happens when you have bushing terriers bushing

hi can i ask why you would enter two dogs to ground is there something to be gained by this, personally i think it causes more problems than it cures.

At times it happens as a result of the terriers bushing ahead of you,at other times ive extracted a fox or many more out of massive rock piles,terriers entered at different spots and working different parts of the pile,sometimes the same fox eventually.It does cause problems and thats a fact,a terrier pushing another on or chewing its arse.Another fact i find is that 2 is often better than one.I know my mutts and ive never had a major problem working mine this way,ever.It was once common practice,especially in the Dales and Fells when terrier folk knew their trade,its frowned upon now by the majority.Are terrier folk more learned now ?.