Tight Places

Jake824 it's different dogs for different ground.. when you work the quarrys you don't want a mute dog on the piles as you carnt here out, an you carnt dig most of the place . But some folk on here will slag each other off especially when they no nothing of the ground others hunt.. Must be a pleasure to have nothing but soil earths to dig ..as some folk arnt that lucky .. You have to work your dogs whichever suites the ground you work..

which part of the country only has rock piles and no earths?
  • Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got lucky. A fox in tight place, terriers loose with no collars on and no shovel to hand can often result in tears..

I'd a black bitch in the 90s that was only 10 months old she'd never seen anything. I was out walking her on land I thought I knew well, she put a fox out of a double ditch and chased it over a hill.

Lead walking on all land you mean, you only think you know places well until you have a terrier running loose one day and it disappears only for you to find its working away underground somewhere you'

Posted Images

makes me lol when folk say if they are keen enough they will get there. :icon_eek: in real life its not like that. i had a twelve inch bitch that was small made and she was keen . but often struggled to get in the rabbity places. and i wouldnt be trenching and ruining good earths either.

ive got a young terrier starting just now and he isnt small. and its frustrating for dog and man in these situations :yes: .

• Like 1

Terriers with locators on still havto find and stay otherwise they wouldnt be dug to. Except now they are mostly dug to rather than not being found and either coming off, dying to ground or having another terrier put up their arse to 'find them'. Anyone who claims the days before locators were better for terriers or digging are dreaming IMO.

• Like 2

Remember a place when I was a kid.embankments. one place a dog when in and good men helped days nights.dog was never heard or seen again.they just dug right into the bank and never broke through over twelve feet and had dug a big good sized hole from over at the one hole entrance .my mate showed me and i knew of storys of these men. I used to be amazed looking at it. Now i know a man and two friends just dug succesfully , 10 ft .3 hrs. B +f .and good dog and men

• Like 2

Interesting about locators improving the digging game and difentitly has but it has also led to terriers with no or poor voices ie baying got a bitch here dug to her on Sunday did not here her till I was about 2feet of not a strong bay I still value a good sting bay and when I breed this bitch a while back I had choice of couple of dogs and the 1 I choose had a very strong bay by the way both dogs were brothers and we knew all the breeding in them but the voice was 1 of the reasons I picked the one I used and now to upset a few people I do not consider a mute dog as a digging dog but as a fighting dog because all it wants to do is engage and I like a terrier I can use every week not every 6 rant over

• Like 6

Interesting about locators improving the digging game and difentitly has but it has also led to terriers with no or poor voices ie baying got a bitch here dug to her on Sunday did not here her till I was about 2feet of not a strong bay I still value a good sting bay and when I breed this bitch a while back I had choice of couple of dogs and the 1 I choose had a very strong bay by the way both dogs were brothers and we knew all the breeding in them but the voice was 1 of the reasons I picked the one I used and now to upset a few people I do not consider a mute dog as a digging dog but as a fighting dog because all it wants to do is engage and I like a terrier I can use every week not every 6 rant over

I have to disagree,as i know of and dig to mute terriers all through the season,not all mute but most are and the ones that are not give very little voice,maybe sound trying to get to there quarry but then it stops.Kirstysdad theres a big difference in a mute dog and a stupid hard dog,i know of a dog which we actually dug to on sunday that was dug 11 times in just over 3 weeks last season and he is a mute dog and has been all his life up until recently and at 11 years old still gives very little voice.

• Like 4

Bud no fighting dog in the digging game . The instinct in some terriers is stronger then others maybe a sounder is nervous to push on . When you break true how near is your terrier to the game . I know dogs that would fight for Ireland show them a black hole and they run a mile

Friend of mine knows his stuff well on terrier's , digging , etc.and would tell you how it is with dogs he's had or others , even if one thought was bees ees , he tell u how get on in a different place or gameness. He's having good success with hard dogs , the well proving. And not doing bad on the numbers . my own dogs have good voice barking and suit me .one in its fourth season and had three foxes this season , only the first one it has barked at , and when it went ground with same one was mute second time with it. Me other dog is off hard dog , is giving good too , at times

Friend of mine knows his stuff well on terrier's , digging , etc.and would tell you how it is with dogs he's had or others , even if one thought was bees ees , he tell u how get on in a different place or gameness. He's having good success with hard dogs , the well proving. And not doing bad on the numbers . my own dogs have good voice barking and suit me .one in its fourth season and had three foxes this season , only the first one it has barked at , and when it went ground with same one was mute second time with it. Me other dog is off hard dog , is giving good too , at times

giving good voice too, which suits me ,

Said it would hit a nerve have seen plenty of both sorts and know what I preferr have mate coming out next week with us only keeps hard dogs he's coming over with 1 dog because his other5are in sick bay I will have my bitch out again as for how far away on break through she is touching and takes hold when you break in there called sounder a for a reason just my option I also like to hear a dog below you can tell a lot by how they sound with a truly mute dog my heart would be in my mouth till I broke through not knowing what's going on and if dogs in big trouble but then everyone does it differently

• Like 2

You say she locks on when you break true that's because she can see what's ahead of her other then that she is afraid . And then you have mixers they get the most punishment and then you have the boy's that get in there locked on and stay till you get to them that's the type I like

• Like 2

I'd be happy once they just stay lol but my preference would be a dog that uses his head and not layed up in sick bay for weeks on end. I'v had the so called hard types not many of them have stayed I can count the ones that have and lost count of the ones that havnt stayed at it starting of in let's say an aggressive manner not there shown the quarry in front of them to much respect but they soon find a reverse gear this been a few different dogs I'v had over the years of different lines of pats but to the ones that have stayed with it have given meself and my mates some memorable days out that will forever live in the memory.

Don t think they re afraid. My old dog is nearly 13 and still works, and not in puppy spots either. All his life he s mixed and bayed and stuck to his job. He can be and has been dug numerous times on both days of the weekend . His grandson is a different kettle of fish in on and bump bump bump wait for a fair while in case he s mid tube then drop to him. I hate knocking through to him cos u don t know what ur gonna be faced with. Brave yes stupid maybe but he d die before he walked . I prefer the old dogs style and he would have accounted for a lot more stuff than his grandson but I admire the younger dog for sheer determination and I think this needs to be preserved in a working terrier. The old dog s no coward he won t leave his opponent and he works tight , just a different style of work

• Like 4