some of mike brown line bred whippets can make 23tts ,if any can remember the mating I done of my black mike brown whippet and dodger blue whippet mb line both 20tts ,there was 1 black male a lad off here got and hes probley made 22/23tt hes some dog ,my bitch I kept made 20tts and now just over 13 months I'm that happy with this line I'm away back to Manchester at the weekend for another line ,these little whippets are up there with any running dog and are fearless ,it dosnt matter wether you have a bull or a whippet its in the heart and these little dog when they punch well above there weight its something else,if they don't well there still good little rabbit dogs that done miss a trick ,but if you have a bull in the field just like my pal did this season and it has na heart well that speaks for it self ,that night I just says you need a whippet with a heart for that game lol ,ive ran my bitch daytime ,night time ,she ferrits well,kills rats like a terrier and has lead to more land than I ever had ,this helps my big dogs as when you turn up asking for land with a big bullx they knock you straight back ,I will never be without a whippet by my side but I will never be without a big dog, we all no its horses for courses ,no breed do I favour I love them all ,atb bobza

Cracking post :thumbs:

• Like 2

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been working my bitch for a good few years now, and in all honesty, the only time i see her shiver is in anticipation of getting out there in the field, ive had some fantastic times with her, and stil

No biters just facts , good and bad in everything , I've kept what people called ' great lines of collie lurchers' and they weren't so great at all , same as whippets , as I said good and bad in every

Posted Images

just need to get em fit and they have some stamina, on yer bikes

The more I watch this clip, the more I enjoy it, cracking :thumbs:

Bloody brilliant that.

Got to appreciate the agility, balance and coordination , if nothing else, of that dog. Don't think his feet look as though they're falling apart after runnning on most of that ground either! Lol

• Like 1

Bloody brilliant that.

Got to appreciate the agility, balance and coordination , if nothing else, of that dog. Don't think his feet look as though they're falling apart after runnning on most of that ground either! Lol

I agree with that. Looks like he takes it all in his stride.

I was out with a lad off here "Moorside" a couple of weeks back. He's got a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy but you can't really tell there's any beddy in there. Looks like a whippet to me anyway. I had seen her work a lot when she was younger but we haven't done much together the last 18 months with conflicting work shifts etc. She really impressed me. She was hitting cover like a terrier, took every fence or gate in her stride and was as keen as they come. Fast too. Feet havent been an issue and nor has thin coat. She does the lot.

• Like 3

Just a thought, something Iv been thinking about for the next few years. Is a straight working whippet better than say a smaller bred lurcher (rabbiting type)? Iv had no experience really with straight working whippets. The older iam getting theses days and current climate I am trying to stay away from the all the bigger quarry now and something just to mooch about with and lamping now again for rabbits.

So Iv been thinking about the whippet, or stick to what I know and get a little collie/grew type or something similar

Anybody went from life with lurchers to the little whippet and it's worked or does most resort back to what they know

I know two brothers that have been around the block as far as lurchers and other working dogs go. They got in two whippets from Mike's yard and now that's all they will keep as runners. I wouldn't even consider looking at a whippet until friends of mine were telling me stories about these two little demons. I went out a couple of times with the lads and their whippets and I was sold after the first outing. As said earlier in thread.. the right ones need to be held back for their own good. I'm not saying that I personally only have the need for a whippet but these men are in the same boat as yourself in regards to slowing down a bit and they have been kept well entertained over the years from a couple of small bushers and their whippets. A.t.b
  • Like 2

Just a thought, something Iv been thinking about for the next few years. Is a straight working whippet better than say a smaller bred lurcher (rabbiting type)? Iv had no experience really with straight working whippets. The older iam getting theses days and current climate I am trying to stay away from the all the bigger quarry now and something just to mooch about with and lamping now again for rabbits.

So Iv been thinking about the whippet, or stick to what I know and get a little collie/grew type or something similar

Anybody went from life with lurchers to the little whippet and it's worked or does most resort back to what they know

I know two brothers that have been around the block as far as lurchers and other working dogs go. They got in two whippets from Mike's yard and now that's all they will keep as runners. I wouldn't even consider looking at a whippet until friends of mine were telling me stories about these two little demons. I went out a couple of times with the lads and their whippets and I was sold after the first outing. As said earlier in thread.. the right ones need to be held back for their own good. I'm not saying that I personally only have the need for a whippet but these men are in the same boat as yourself in regards to slowing down a bit and they have been kept well entertained over the years from a couple of small bushers and their whippets. A.t.b
Thanks very much for the input !

some of mike brown line bred whippets can make 23tts ,if any can remember the mating I done of my black mike brown whippet and dodger blue whippet mb line both 20tts ,there was 1 black male a lad off here got and hes probley made 22/23tt hes some dog ,my bitch I kept made 20tts and now just over 13 months I'm that happy with this line I'm away back to Manchester at the weekend for another line ,these little whippets are up there with any running dog and are fearless ,it dosnt matter wether you have a bull or a whippet its in the heart and these little dog when they punch well above there weight its something else,if they don't well there still good little rabbit dogs that done miss a trick ,but if you have a bull in the field just like my pal did this season and it has na heart well that speaks for it self ,that night I just says you need a whippet with a heart for that game lol ,ive ran my bitch daytime ,night time ,she ferrits well,kills rats like a terrier and has lead to more land than I ever had ,this helps my big dogs as when you turn up asking for land with a big bullx they knock you straight back ,I will never be without a whippet by my side but I will never be without a big dog, we all no its horses for courses ,no breed do I favour I love them all ,atb bobza

the dog in my avatar is out of dodger to a m.b bitch.that dodger has a clever bit of breeding behind him. It seems to work. From what I gather, he produces the goods. I know people will say if you mate a dog enough he is bound to throw a percentage of good dogs and you cant argue, but from what I can tell, he really is a good producer
  • Like 1

Bloody brilliant that.

I agree with that. Looks like he takes it all in his stride.

I was out with a lad off here "Moorside" a couple of weeks back. He's got a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy but you can't really tell there's any beddy in there. Looks like a whippet to me anyway. I had seen her work a lot when she was younger but we haven't done much together the last 18 months with conflicting work shifts etc. She really impressed me. She was hitting cover like a terrier, took every fence or gate in her stride and was as keen as they come. Fast too. Feet havent been an issue and nor has thin coat. She does the lot.

we bit beddie goes along way lol
  • Like 2

I done both even raced ...better with whip grey with a bit of working dog in mix for rabbits to make them more rebust...if your lucky ull get a lurcher just as nibble and as fast as a whip grey and less injury prone..I've a 25inch whip grey that's been used a hell off alot at stud too other lurchers and he added the speed but pups also had some off the toughness from the bitches...I've now retired him from such duties but however he did HELP produce some decent Rabbit dogs day or night...

My wee lap dog out of him...she also beat a few whip grey racers on the track I.e unbeaten against a whippet on track..now retired as I only entered her to cause an upset only ever beaten by her bigger litter mate who is a lurcher but that's OK as long as the skinny rockets don't beat her lok

post-53576-0-09455700-1467241843_thumb.png

Edited by MR RABBIT
  • Like 3

I think it was on this site I read the same question asked about s.s and someone replied that they had seen the dog go and rated him a good dog. I would say now that he is long gone and is of no use in the practical sence. The question now is... Was he a good producer? To be worthy of being bred so tightly into Mikes stuff.has he produced whippets that go above and beyond what is expected of a humble rabbit dog. Their is a pattern when you look at the pedigrees of Mikes stuff. It would be fair to say their is a science behind their breeding. Hats off to the man.people can slate the man for breeding many litters but the man has a very good understanding of genetics and how to produce litters of dogs with a very high success rate in the field.

• Like 3

yer dodger has some breeding ,one of the few direct stuff left close to mikes sootysam ,he was out of supablue which was son of sootysam ,the mother of mine was bought off mike then took back to mikes years later to use soulboy as stud ,he was mikes last dogs out his kennels and some dog he was ,i phoned mike before I done the first line he says that this line ive bred will be up there with the best ,the stuff coming out my bitch is so strong with real good feet ,that's one thing I always look at, as with poor feet and week spindley bones they don't take much stick out on the land ,the reason a good percentage of stuff makes the grade is the work that's been put into this line goes back over generations or worker to worker ,dodger was there in the breeding and had plenty game put under his belt ,credit to the lad for bringing him on to a high standard ,like mike says 50% of the work is in the breeding and its up to lads like us to put the game infront of them ,mine has been tested to the max ,I run her like I would run any other lurcher,your dog looks real nice mate,dodger the stud ,come on the weekend ,cant wait for another pup lol atb bobza

the lads I was talking about earlier in topic that introduced me to Mikes stuff had litter mates to soul boy. Two of the best dogs I've seen to ferret and work cover and not afraid of teeth either.
  • Like 1