Beginners Running Dog

Lurcher x lurcher a good old mish mash of breeds as long as there is no saluki in there

Why no Saluki mate? I've two here & both have been pretty faultless to rear & train,no different to any of my others I've had over the years anyway

are you a beginner fuji no I thought not I have trained them not for me but for others I personly think they can be a little touchy and ignorant if not treated with respect and trained with a light touch so in my view no they are not they type I would recommend for a first time running dog owner who wants to hunt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

good old lurcher to lurcher bred. Get it as a pup and rear it like a gundog. Live in each others shadows.

I think a lot of the bad press for saluki types originally comes from the fact that in the early days they were used exclusively by the coursing lads that only needed a point and slip dog and obedienc

I've not seen any real difference in my desert bred dogs either Socks,obviously one is still young so has his daft moments but the other is like an old sheep,docile & laid back..no its not as shar

I would like to add there are a myriad of little thing you learn over years of keeping and working running dogs that you use to your advantage when training a dog that you may not even realise you are using and a first time owner is as it says a first time owner who probably has not a lot of knowledge of how or why the dog is doing what it is doing so why make it hard on your self and get a type that not just me but a lot of lurcher workers wouldn't keep just to catch the odd bunny it's not what they are ment to do they are a coursing dog and to my view not a good one at that as the hybrid does better but I'm glad you like yours fair play mate each to their own

Edited by leethedog

i suppose really, we can only go on dogs we have owned or seen work to give a honest opinion , well having been around lurchers 30 odd years, in that time had few and seen few different types =xs . having had colliexs ,bullxs, lurcher x lurcher , none ped whippet, all have been not bad dogs :thumbs: i still say a 1/4 collie x 3/4 grey are good dog to start with, easy to live with and easy to train. My 1x gsd x grey Buck , as been very easy to train, great retriever , good in the day/night, loyal, nice temp with people+ dogs, ok a big powerful dog, but never found that a prob with him,caught lots of game , all the litter were easy to train and good temps :yes: maybe not a 1st dog as there bit full on behind quarry lol . most lurcher x lurcher with drop of collie, make good lurchers to start with :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well what you can say is there are varies types of breeds in the lurcher world which are bred to take instruction , collies , gun dog breeds etc

On the other hand bull breeds , terrier bred , saluki which are all bred to kill on their own , they weren't bred to interact in their line of work

I would opt for something along the lines of collie lurcher , in saying all that a gobshite can make a mess of any dog however it's bred

I see the point your making and agree about the terrier or saluki being bred to kill more so than interact but as for a well bred pit bull, I believe a dog that has good interaction skills with his conditioner or handler would be a much easier dog to work with to get in shape and even respond to his handler in the heat of battle under very strenuous conditions. through selective breeding I believe good interaction skills are fairly common in the breed. In my very limited experience with these fine animals I've found the few I was around to be very trainable. Also as a breed they seem to be a fairly intelligent animal. Granted not as intelligent as the other dogs you mentioned but clever enough. I would just like to add I.. I don't condone any illegal activities with dogs. A.t.b brenner

A pup from parents that are doing the job you want the pup to do and doing it well and of good sound temperament.Remember you have got this dog 24hrs a day not just for hunting trips so it has to be something you can live with.

Well what you can say is there are varies types of breeds in the lurcher world which are bred to take instruction , collies , gun dog breeds etc

On the other hand bull breeds , terrier bred , saluki which are all bred to kill on their own , they weren't bred to interact in their line of work

I would opt for something along the lines of collie lurcher , in saying all that a gobshite can make a mess of any dog however it's bred

I see the point your making and agree about the terrier or saluki being bred to kill more so than interact but as for a well bred pit bull, I believe a dog that has good interaction skills with his conditioner or handler would be a much easier dog to work with to get in shape and even respond to his handler in the heat of battle under very strenuous conditions. through selective breeding I believe good interaction skills are fairly common in the breed. In my very limited experience with these fine animals I've found the few I was around to be very trainable. Also as a breed they seem to be a fairly intelligent animal. Granted not as intelligent as the other dogs you mentioned but clever enough. I would just like to add I.. I don't condone any illegal activities with dogs. A.t.b brenner

true they deff got more brains , than people think, and easy to train, had a pit bitch great temp good with people and ok with dogs, in the right hands apbt's are good breed, like most bull breeds, we had staffs, apbt, bullmastiffs, the bullmastiffs was prob most sharp with people, and few dogs, in any litter there all different temps , its pot luck which you pick :yes:

• Like 1

Thinking about a bearded collie X for my first dog had gun dogs all my life so I'm not new too training proper workers any body got any views on my choice ? Also had a good nosey online looking for a decent pup does anyone have any experience with hancook lines ? Cheers fellas

Whippets can be loyal we dogs and can be great rabbit dogs and are usually easy trained for a begining it's a step in the right direction for starting out

Agree with this. Lots of lads keep whippets and never feel the need to get a bigger dog. They are pretty laid back and the ones I've been around have been pretty obedient.

Probably never gonna be a world beater but probably the best of the bunch for someone new to dogs.

• Like 2

Your absolutely right about the pit , great breed , friendly loyal with character like no other but the reason they have such front and personality is because of temperment

A big heart is a big heart in and out of the ring and when heart was bred for, the ability to push through exhaustion and pain was the original motive but as we now know a secondary benefit of heart is a very social and gregarious animal in the right hands

And that's the snag, a great animal with a huge temperment with an ability to overcome huge resistance and because of that very ability I wouldn't recommend it for a novice , mind you as already said I would depend on the individual but I wouldn't sleep well giving full responsibility of a hard bitten bull x to the young lad here and he's fairly dog savvy

I take it beginner means teenager here when I got a terrier x as a chap, we got through the neighbour hood quota of cat and dogs or anything else that could be chased and killed not by intent but because I hadn't a f***ing clue as a kid or maybe I was just dumber than most

• Like 2

Whippets can be loyal we dogs and can be great rabbit dogs and are usually easy trained for a begining it's a step in the right direction for starting out

Agree with this. Lots of lads keep whippets and never feel the need to get a bigger dog. They are pretty laid back and the ones I've been around have been pretty obedient.

Probably never gonna be a world beater but probably the best of the bunch for someone new to dogs.

Thing is gaz, nobody really needs a world beater, and whippets do very well at most things anyway. I love em :thumbs:

• Like 3