Beginners Running Dog

Well what you can say is there are varies types of breeds in the lurcher world which are bred to take instruction , collies , gun dog breeds etc

On the other hand bull breeds , terrier bred , saluki which are all bred to kill on their own , they weren't bred to interact in their line of work

I would opt for something along the lines of collie lurcher , in saying all that a gobshite can make a mess of any dog however it's bred

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

good old lurcher to lurcher bred. Get it as a pup and rear it like a gundog. Live in each others shadows.

I think a lot of the bad press for saluki types originally comes from the fact that in the early days they were used exclusively by the coursing lads that only needed a point and slip dog and obedienc

I've not seen any real difference in my desert bred dogs either Socks,obviously one is still young so has his daft moments but the other is like an old sheep,docile & laid back..no its not as shar

Something laid back and not highly strung. Whatever x you just gotta make sure you got lots of time n your consistent in training.

Too much collie in a dog can play you, too much terrier blood can end up stubborn and saluki types can be a pain as well.

f**k the lurchers where's my lap dog...

true, 1/4 collie x 3/4 grey, nice easy lurcher to work and live with :thumbs:
I wouldn't say 1/4 collie as first dog I know joe had one on here and was a real handful !
out of interest was it just border blood or both beardy and border mate?

Some good posts made by all. But reading it is any lurcher an ideal first dog? Bull x can be too much dog for people inexperienced, beddy x from what Iv seen have all been ignorant fuckers, saluki x can be sulky and gotta have certain mindset to get best out of them, collie x you need to be patient with and not hot headed, whippet x are just shivvery wimps, greyhound types got shit feet , stamina and lack everything lol

Like I said earlier where's my lap dog lol

Almost forgot deerhound xs the jacking b*****ds haha

• Like 2

Something laid back and not highly strung. Whatever x you just gotta make sure you got lots of time n your consistent in training.

Too much collie in a dog can play you, too much terrier blood can end up stubborn and saluki types can be a pain as well.

f**k the lurchers where's my lap dog...

true, 1/4 collie x 3/4 grey, nice easy lurcher to work and live with :thumbs:
I wouldn't say 1/4 collie as first dog I know joe had one on here and was a real handful !
out of interest was it just border blood or both beardy and border mate?
I really don't know ! And the bitch I had that died was fecking head work and tested my patience a few times !

Some good posts made by all. But reading it is any lurcher an ideal first dog? Bull x can be too much dog for people inexperienced, beddy x from what Iv seen have all been ignorant fuckers, saluki x can be sulky and gotta have certain mindset to get best out of them, collie x you need to be patient with and not hot headed, whippet x are just shivvery wimps, greyhound types got shit feet , stamina and lack everything lol

Like I said earlier where's my lap dog lol

Almost forgot deerhound xs the jacking b*****ds haha

Best post of 2016 on THL haha..love it!!!

A tight wired strung out owner will have the same kind of dog .A laid back patient knowledgeable owner invariably have decent balanced dogs around them irrespective of the breed,

Agreed. Explanes why my older bitch and pass dogs are like it.lol,the first sentence that is.ha

Lurcher x lurcher a good old mish mash of breeds as long as there is no saluki in there

Why no Saluki mate? I've two here & both have been pretty faultless to rear & train,no different to any of my others I've had over the years anyway

Saluki in my bitch and the dog I put over her and both laid back easy to train dogs ......

I've not seen any real difference in my desert bred dogs either Socks,obviously one is still young so has his daft moments but the other is like an old sheep,docile & laid back..no its not as sharp on commands as my cur x but it's still fairly good,I think them Saluki's get an unfair reputation because of thick owners who if they had Lassie would have it as thick as pig shit..ANY breed/type of dog will be a steep learning curve for a novice handler,you live & learn & hopefully improve with experience as a dog owner as time passes,reading on here or books will do you no good,hands on experience is the way to go ..

• Like 4

I think a lot of the bad press for saluki types originally comes from the fact that in the early days they were used exclusively by the coursing lads that only needed a point and slip dog and obedience was low down on the list of traits needed so anybody seeing one in the field would comment on the dogs stamina determination good feet and in the next breath say it was a thick fukcer though .... As time has moved on and more people have utilised the breed people have realised they ain't as thick as most thought and with a bit of work they train up the same as any other breed used up in making a lurcher .......

• Like 7

Socks: I've never found the Saluki lurcher bitches to be any harder to train than any other type, but the males have given me some serious headaches in the past. Now that could be the particular lines they came from, but if I've used those males over a bitch, and kept bitch pups, they've been easy as the rest. Just makes me wonder if the male Saluki is just that more wired in a feral/hunt-away kind of way.

• Like 2