Carp Fishing Baits?

Corn , maize , tigers or brazils over hemp will catch plenty of carp . Dynamite are doing hemp and snails in tins aswell and if you get the specimen one you can use the snail as an hookbait

Maize is a staple, id use tigers more if I could get them reasonable local as ive done well in the past on it. For baiting up used pigeon conditioner, but the chub and bream probably eat most of it.

Ive got a load of tree chippings slowly composting, full of rose chaffers, gonna give them a whirl I think. Theirs enough of them to add to pre-baiting too.

Hook full of maggots for cruising fish, anyone use maggots hooks?

I used to use redband pigeon conditioner , it had a whiff off aniseed about it and it did alright with tigers over the top . Also used groats alot aswell in the spod mix but the place where i got it from only does hemp now so ive not used it for a while . Only used to get bream if using boilies or fake corn on the hair , never had one on tigers. Anyone had any luck with lupins or chick peas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you boil maize with less water than is normal and keep topping up with hot water every now and then so the maize is barely covered you end up with a sticky mixture. Then don't drain all the water o

Corn over hemp never fails , one plastic , one real . Criticality balanced Atb

Carp are like pigeons, if you find something they will eat and you can put in front of them in enough quantity to really get them at it then they will eat the lot. That's as complicated as carp bait

Posted Images

Cubed luncheon meat covered in curry powder and a tiny bit of chili powder. Worked wonders for me. Corn is overused.

I reckon they'd go for things like pond skaters but I've no idea how you're gunna feed those in hah

Corn is over used, Care to explain that? :hmm:

As for pond skaters; we have thousands and thousands on the rivers and lakes over here and I've never seen one being taken yet.So, again how do you come to the assumption that they would make a good bait?

• Like 1

Cubed luncheon meat covered in curry powder and a tiny bit of chili powder. Worked wonders for me.

same here ,could always tell what guys were using when we had a walk around a lake due to the smell :laugh: wouldnt tell you fek all but the scent gave them away !

mind when we first started using the hair rig and bolt rig in the early 80's i think ! it was a revelation to catch rates , mind one day hooking and landing 9 doubles which in them days was almost unheard of !

Used to use chickpeas and black eyed beans. Have to give the chicks another bash.

yep another classic for me as well ! usually died different colours

I used to be that mad on my carp fishing i lived on a syndicate for just over 7 month lol, . . . i must of been nuts thinking back.

On hard waters I like a pop up and a boilie like a snowman wrapped in paste made from my bollie mix (was a big bait) with no free offerings fishished as a single hook bait on a 2inch hair rig and size 10 talon hook, i Fished that with a 12inch 12lb ghost hook link with a Korda lead clip 3onze lead and 4ft lead core on a slackish line with a back lead. Failling that I fished the same rig with two 10mm boilies over a bed of aniseed flavoured hemp and a hand full of boilies. Worked really well.

Don't see why people arnt confident in single hook baits.

Feel like getting the rods and bivvy on now. . Atb

• Like 1

Cornsteep licker might be spelt wrong but it's like fishing with dynamite use neat in a place bag add some of what ever you have on your hook or hair not a lot just a couple of baits and off you go

• Like 1

Cornsteep licker might be spelt wrong but it's like fishing with dynamite use neat in a place bag add some of what ever you have on your hook or hair not a lot just a couple of baits and off you go

I used to go to a starch refinery down at Tilbury ,and get gallons of it ,the refinery had drain offs at certain points of the process to take samples for quality control ,so we used to get the real good gear,i had a 1000 litre IBC in my garage ,as me and a mate had a go at selling it ,along with csl pellets a by product of that process.Didnt really shift that much to be honest ,interesting getting the stuff tho!

I have fished for carp only a few times, the best bait was, I was told, KitiKat fish recipe and flaked maize with flour to make it hold together, this was around 1973 ish. I did catch a few carp with it, nothing bigger than 3 or 4 Lbs. That is the extent of my carp fishing knowledge.

Now I cannot believe that the carp wait for donations from anglers to feed, so in the absence of boilies etc; they must feed naturally, take nymphs, fresh water shrimps etc; yet you never hear of people fishing for them with natural baits.

Why is that?

TC

Like you, tiercel, my carp fishing experience is very limited, and what little I did was a long time ago. In the early 80's I used to fish a small mixed species club water that held double figure carp. Like you, I figured that they must eat natural baits so they should, in theory, be catchable on naturals. I spent quite a bit of time pursuing them with slugs but got nowhere with that. I also tried daddy longlegs, but I found them well nigh impossible to get onto a hook. So then I tried fly fishing with nymphs, shrimps and various wet flies. All to no avail also. In the end I gave it up as a bad job. To be honest I can't remember how long I stuck at it before giving up, so possibly had I persevered it would have paid off. But in my extremely limited experience it was unproductive.

Incidentally as an aside, it was while chatting to someone else on this water that I saw the best piece of evidence I'm ever likely to see that suggests fishing isn't cruel. The guy had a bite, struck, and knew immediately he was into a reasonable fish. But then the fish put up no fight whatsoever - it swam straight towards him at the surface. He reeled in as fast as he could and was just about maintaining contact with the fish, which continued to swim straight as an arrow towards him, and straight into the landing net. As he lifted the fish - which was a good tench of about 4lb - out of the water, all became clear. The fish was hooked in the eye, and blood was pouring from the eye. When you think about it, it makes sense - if someone hooked you on the end of a line and it was painful to pull against it, what would you do? You'd move towards the person who'd 'caught' you to relieve the tension in the line. There's no way you'd pull against it - the pain would be far worse.

Since then I've seen probably thousands of fish caught on rod and line and never again (thankfully) seen one foul hooked in the eye. Neither have I ever since seen a fish hooked that didn't fight. To me that clearly suggests that if mistreated fish are certainly capable of feeling pain. But if hooked in the mouth they either feel no pain at all or at worst, minor discomfort.

Carp are like pigeons, if you find something they will eat and you can put in front of them in enough quantity to really get them at it then they will eat the lot.

That's as complicated as carp bait gets, use bait that's cheap enough to use properly.

• Like 3

I watched the great fish off yesterday,fair enough it was for thai carp but they were loading the bait with monosodium glutemate,the same stuff your local chinese takeaway douses your food in to make it irresistable.