Why The Rabbit Population Collapse?

I know of two areas, one in the North East and one in the Scottish Borders which, a few years ago were literally crawling with rabbits. Dozens per acre, you could literally smell them on the air. Both areas are now totally bare of rabbits.

Is there anybody on here who can give an explanation? Is it the Chinese virus or more virulent strains of mixy which is wiping them out? Why are some areas, like Scotland and the Yorkshire Dales still able to hold on to the rabbit populations?

Any boffins?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tjones and d lyod caught them all

So it's acceptable to kill over a hundred a night with a lurcher, but not with a rifle? FFS get real they are all dead and it does not matter how.   TC

And we all know the lurcher lads respect seasons.

I know of two areas, one in the North East and one in the Scottish Borders which, a few years ago were literally crawling with rabbits. Dozens per acre, you could literally smell them on the air. Both areas are now totally bare of rabbits.

Is there anybody on here who can give an explanation? Is it the Chinese virus or more virulent strains of mixy which is wiping them out? Why are some areas, like Scotland and the Yorkshire Dales still able to hold on to the rabbit populations?

Any boffins?

U.S. Scottish boys have no rabbits we re thinking off coming South off the border to get some

The last 1/2 dozen or so I've shot all had mix

Lads shooting them is a massive contributer to their decline, same as the fox population, getting slaughtered by men with their big guns and their bigger ego's.

So it's acceptable to kill over a hundred a night with a lurcher, but not with a rifle? FFS get real they are all dead and it does not matter how.

TC

• Like 7

Lads shooting them is a massive contributer to their decline, same as the fox population, getting slaughtered by men with their big guns and their bigger ego's.

So it's acceptable to kill over a hundred a night with a lurcher, but not with a rifle? FFS get real they are all dead and it does not matter how.

TC

TC

Doesnt matter to the lazy hunter lol, point and shoot, robbing another man of his sport with his dogs. Go to rifle range or somewhere and leave genuine lads to get on with it, or trade your gun in for a PlayStation, loads to shoot at on there.

• Like 1

TC

TC

Doesnt matter to the lazy hunter lol, point and shoot, robbing another man of his sport with his dogs. Go to rifle range or somewhere and leave genuine lads to get on with it, or trade your gun in for a PlayStation, loads to shoot at on there.
What do you mean lazy hunter? Are you getting at people who shoot rather than use dogs? Can you cull rabbits around sheep with a lurcher? No, I doubt it, but a rifle can at the request of a farmer who wants rid of rabbits and doesn't care about the sport.
  • Like 3

TC

TC

What do you mean lazy hunter? Are you getting at people who shoot rather than use dogs? Can you cull rabbits around sheep with a lurcher? No, I doubt it, but a rifle, at the request of a farmer who wants rid of rabbits and doesn't care about the sport.
why carnt a lurcher work round sheep mate!
  • Like 3

TC

TC

What do you mean lazy hunter? Are you getting at people who shoot rather than use dogs? Can you cull rabbits around sheep with a lurcher? No, I doubt it, but a rifle, at the request of a farmer who wants rid of rabbits and doesn't care about the sport.
why carnt a lurcher work round sheep mate!

I would be fecked if you couldnt 90% of my perms are sheep farms and all i do is work a lurcher.

• Like 5

on top of diseases, rabbits have had some serious hammer for the last 40 years off the likes of us lot and shooting and ferreting lads, and now traffic, red kites, and buzzards, and the ban on fox hunting i guess that theres a rise in foxes in some places, and theres a big rise in corvids for baby rabbits to deal with, on top of everything else, everything is against the rabbit.

• Like 2