The Snip!

I wouldnt waste my money getting one done if you have separate hutches.its only to bring a jill out of season but if ya not working them in the summer months which you shouldnt be why spend it.let them come out of season in there own time then.

Ive done both had a vasectomised hob who I lost last year, and let gills come out of season naturally , in my opinion the vasectomised hob is the way to go, I would hate to think I lost one of my jills to an infection because I did not bring her out of season.

• Like 1

All my hobs are castrated and my jills all been spayed no problem with there working ability, prices do vary, if you have a easipet care nearby or even a drive may still be cheaper than going local, there prices vary from each pratice, in reading i pay £27.50 for castration, £40 for a vasectomy and £40 for a jill spay there link is here to the main site and pick your pratice from there

http://www.easipetcare.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had two hobs done who died from testicular cancer about eight years old when there balls swelled up so after my last hob died two years ago I left my Jill's and the first year they looked rough as feck but bounced back then last summer I lost two Jill's one six years of age a.nd one seven years old I can't prove not mating killed them as only a ortopsy could but that was a lot of working experience to lose in one year so there's a big daft hob kit getting the snip real soon

• Like 1

Had a similar situation. Always used a vasectomised hob, but one year lost him in the spring. The jills went through their season unmolested by the attention of a hob, or Jill jab. At the end of summer the majority of them looked in a crappy state with significant weight and fur loss. I bought in a hob kit that summer and as soon as his testicles descended for the following breeding season he was taken for the snip. I was meant to leave him for four weeks before he was properly infertile, but I put him with his girls after two weeks and I had no unwanted litters. Their condition at the end of that summer was far better than the previous year. My present hob is a big dopey creature, who gets bullied by one of the jills. He's never been worked on rabbits, but does all of his work through the summer bringing the jills out of season. I know this subject has been done many times and recall someone who posted a couple of years ago with an apparent veterinary qualification. A jill can be affected by not being brought out of season, not by infection from a dirty cage, but the effect of the hormonal imbalance which creates other issues, which in turn can lead to death. It doesn't mean if you leave your jill unmated she will die, but it can happen.

• Like 1

We've always gone to EasipetCare.......even though it's now a 70 mile round trip !

All the dogs were spayed there, at around half the cost of other vets, and the hob was castrated last month for £27.50. It you can get to a branch, I'd recommend them!

• 1 month later...