The Real Devil Within.

I know very well this isnt the case with everyone at shows,,but a number of years ago i was at the Great Yorkshire Show ,a lot of the well known terrier men were also in attendance,i was into black rough coated fell terriers at the time.

Anyway i got talking to this chap with one of the best looking and put together black fells i had seen for some time,he claimed it had won at this and that show and he may be selling it as he had done it all with it,I said "i may be interested

in buying it and had it done any work ?"...............he replied "its to good looking to work you need a rough/scruffy dog for working".......well in my book i dont care how smart it is, if it wants and will go to ground thats where its going,

I have seen the opposite at Llangollen,many lads turned up with smashed up dogs that were dug to that morning in order to get a quick reputation,these lads were also one of the reasons it was stopped,the huge crowds eventually shut down the town,the police just could not handle it,there is nothing to be gained by taking damaged terriers to shows especially in towns where people that know nothing of terrier work,they only see the damage and not the worker we do,Plucky
  • Like 5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take them for what they are, time to catch up and have the craic

Nah shows and rosette I believe give a positive image to people that are not into terrier work , I've never took them seriously enough to worry about wether they're a bad thing . For me " The Real D

Rosette hunting..... Dress the part Look the part... An chat the chat. Multiple dogs of all types in pristine condition an groomed to perfection. The judge

Posted Images

I went to quite a few in the early to mid 90's when I was just a young lad/man.........the amount of bitching, whining & bullshitting I heard from grown men was enough to put me off for a life time.........

• Like 3

Rosette hunting..... Dress the part

Look the part... An chat the chat.

Multiple dogs of all types in pristine condition an groomed to perfection.

The judge picked because he has smart terriers.

These are the pretenders that are a danger to terrier lines old and new.

I have my opinion , ...what about all of you ????????.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The very last Llangollen show ,when all judges really did work the dogs.

looks like there werent any rubbish bins back then.litter everywhere

• Like 1

I went to quite a few in the early to mid 60z when I was just a young lad/man.........the amount of bitching, whining & bullshitting I heard from grown men was enough to put me off for a life time.........

image_zps19cm767v.jpeg

Why don't you go to that one mate re live your youth lol

• Like 2

I went to quite a few in the early to mid 60z when I was just a young lad/man.........the amount of bitching, whining & bullshitting I heard from grown men was enough to put me off for a life time.........

image_zps19cm767v.jpeg

Mate I've got my secret weapon for show success this year......;-)post-89484-0-03065300-1453983620_thumb.jpg
  • Like 6

image_zps19cm767v.jpeg

There should be a class for stolen terriers at that show.

• Like 5

image_zps19cm767v.jpeg

There should be a class for stolen terriers at that show.
Or a class for those being marked for stealing
  • Like 2

Regarding shows ?

As has been already said,they're a day out and when properly ran put a respectable face to a little known way of life to outsiders.

IMO it's up to organisers to ALWAYS pick a judge who's serious about terrierwork. Even then there'll be complaints, but that's a fact of life.

IMO show ponies are easily spotted.

I'll give an example, at Tandragee (one of the best) a few years back I was talking to a well known showman.

I noticed two of his terriers were freshly marked. I asked him was he doing a bit of mid Summer digging ?

He told me that he'd been exercising them and they'd went to ground. "40 bloody minutes I had to wait for them to come out" he said.

Like I say, they're easily spotted. Mind you they do fleece novices now and again but you know what they say about a fool and his money ?

30 years ago there were lads complaining about the show lines and their owners ruining the working lines and here 30 years later we still have showmen but we still have good working lines.

They're a good day out, raise money for good causes and an excuse to get drunk, not that we need an excuse.

• Like 15

I travel to a few,never shown a dog though,you see some folk with air conditioned 40 grand plus transporters lol,with a dog for every class and that's just the names in the game.like to have a nose what others have and enjoy the craic meeting the few good lads I know,shows are all to clicky for me but my kids enjoy the day out bashing my wallet lol,used to do the digging comps they a good laugh,but these days most shows the weather's to hot for the dogs if im honest,not fair on them,can't see the harm in helping a good cause like the local hunt,met a few members off here at one or two and had a chin wag,they were tidy boys.I don't like all the maggots with their bull X's that don't seem to be able to hold on to their dogs and watching them trying to break dogs apart wtf,sure that's were most get their scars from,nothing worse than the clowns that parade around with chin less dogs,seems to be the under 30's bridgade these days,always enjoy a chat with the likes of Mr Harcombe and Mr Gould he's a funny f****r lol.atb dc

• Like 5