£5000 For A Dog Op ?

was talking to a young woman today with a cocker spaniel ( pet) dog, it had cancer (tumour) removed from it, the dog was 3 year old . She said 1st vet couldn't find it,= £ 2000 , went to another done the op removed it = £ 3000 . I wouldn't pay that just for a dog, ok its there pet and obviously they love the dog fair enough. But £ 5000 quid hell of a lot ,when they could have got a new pup :yes: , maybe I am wrong but the pounds are full of dogs that make good pets which are healthy , and there crying out for a life=chance . even my dogs that are good working dogs, if they couldn't work though illness , why keep them. I know my dogs love being out running few rabbits , they live for it well Buck does and his belly . would you pay that amount of money for a dog health .??

• Like 1

Bird that's the thing

Most people will put their own feelings before doing what's right by the dog or animal.

And Vets will let them

It's all about the £

The dog had a couple of operations to have a tumour removed and now it seems it's living a happy life going for walks and bumping into folk like bird, how was she not doing right by the dog? :hmm:

Personally I'd do near enough anything for my dogs, just like I expect them to do for me :yes: I wouldn't be paying £5000 for an op though, that's what PetPlan are for :laugh:

• Like 2

If I could afford it id pay it for my dog . People who work their dogs first and foremost have a different thinking when it comes to dog. We have insurance for both ours so hopefully won't need to pay loads. My dad had a collie with a heart murmur years ago that required tablets all the time . Cost him a fortune in the end but he had many years extra with his dog and fit him it was worth every penny . If the dog is likely to still end up ill or diabilitated after the op then that's a different thing. It's about the quality of life after the vets that u need to weigh up

Got 3 choices when my bitch developed cancer in her foreleg a few years back, Bristol for treatment 2k plus with no guarantee of success or tabs and injections for life wondering when the leg was gonna disintegrate when we were out, or pts.

A no brainer imo.

R.I.P. Sky.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

If the dog means so much and you can afford it then you go for it. It's your perogative.

Personally, i aint ever gonna. Without insurance my dogs would have about a £400 top line and then only if it's business as usual after. Even with insurance its gotta graft afterwards or else...

My old dog i've made the mistake of keeping him after he couldn't work anymore. I bred him and sentiment kept him with me. Sentiment keeps him here still but it's tough now and will be very tough when times up and that aint far away...

If the dog means so much and you can afford it then you go for it. It's your perogative.

Personally, i aint ever gonna. Without insurance my dogs would have about a £400 top line and then only if it's business as usual after. Even with insurance its gotta graft afterwards or else...

My old dog i've made the mistake of keeping him after he couldn't work anymore. I bred him and sentiment kept him with me. Sentiment keeps him here still but it's tough now and will be very tough when times up and that aint far away...

I look at it more as retirement after a lifetime of work and pleasure , couldn't just get rid of them because they can no longer work ..the toughest bit is them watching you go out with their replacement ...not to mention my old lady would have me pts before them ...as for £5 k on an op i would draw the line on that ...

We ask so much from our dogs at times and ask of them things i wouldn't do and niether would most of you,so when it comes to doing whats best for them it's a no brainer to me.If it's going to cost grands to put right and the dog will be right afterwards then i go without and the dog gets sorted :yes: ,if it's quality of life is going to suffer afterwards then again i do whats right for the dog :cray: ,it's only money and i'd rather be a skint man with a dog than a millionare without one...

• Like 3

Bird we done a dental on a rabbit on Tuesday which cost over £250 and it was the 4th time this rabbit had bern under anaesthetic! Pushing £1000 on a RABBIT!! Explain that one.

I cant lol

• Like 1

We ask so much from our dogs at times and ask of them things i wouldn't do and niether would most of you,so when it comes to doing whats best for them it's a no brainer to me.If it's going to cost grands to put right and the dog will be right afterwards then i go without and the dog gets sorted :yes: ,if it's quality of life is going to suffer afterwards then again i do whats right for the dog :cray: ,it's only money and i'd rather be a skint man with a dog than a millionare without one...

in this case it was just a pet dog, never worked just a pet. I would spend money about £ 1500 on pet or not, but £ 5000 is silly I think. what about your not working etc. what then ? . what gets me there plenty of dogs in the pound that need a home and prob make good pets, my son jack x woody a rescue dog 5 year old nice little pet dog only cost them £ 50 quid , you can get lurchers + jacks for £150 quid today , there plenty of healthy dogs need a life= chance out there, you haven't got to spend silly money to get+ keep a dog today :yes: