Strange About Deerhounds

Mine is 5 year old now... Deerhound lurcher x deerhound lurcher, beddlington blood 5 generations back...

He's great in the house, quiet and chilled out, spot on with kids... But I wouldn't own another, don't get me wrong, he kept me out in the fields and he wouldn't turn his nose up to anything. But there are much better animals out there.

Good lamping dog, but would be left wanting another gear for a daytime hunt, along with some stamina... Would be ok for the Subaru crew but nowhere near hard enough looking lol...

Intresing opinion on them lacking a gear and stamina. The ones I have seen run have had energy to burn and was very quick, but they had no bedlington in them if that makes a difference I don't no. The x is a type I would like for pot filling, but they are moody twats lol

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive only seen a few examples of the cross in the 80s and early 90s some were decent dogs maybe the standard of deerhound is not there anymore.

i think this photo says it all about my bitch,found out a few home truths about her the last few days,i am dissapointed to say the least but she slays rabbits like a good un lol   this is my last de

I think its a sad day in gb when the nation that gave the world the most working breeds of hunting dogs has choked itself to death with stupid anti hunting laws that a lot of breeds are in better nick

Posted Images

Mine is 5 year old now... Deerhound lurcher x deerhound lurcher, beddlington blood 5 generations back...

He's great in the house, quiet and chilled out, spot on with kids... But I wouldn't own another, don't get me wrong, he kept me out in the fields and he wouldn't turn his nose up to anything. But there are much better animals out there.

Good lamping dog, but would be left wanting another gear for a daytime hunt, along with some stamina... Would be ok for the Subaru crew but nowhere near hard enough looking lol...

Intresing opinion on them lacking a gear and stamina. The ones I have seen run have had energy to burn and was very quick, but they had no bedlington in them if that makes a difference I don't no. The x is a type I would like for pot filling, but they are moody twats lol

I think with the lurcher x lurcher breeding we could be talking about animals bred the same way, but completely different depending which way they have thrown..even in the same litter...

My coursing bred dog runs rings round mine.. speed acceleration agility stamina.. My deerhound lurcher does 2mile by the bike and has his tounge out and slows up a bit by the end... Saluki lurcher did 6miles with his gob shut... Walk in the park...

• Like 2

I think with the lurcher x lurcher breeding we could be talking about animals bred the same way, but completely different depending which way they have thrown..even in the same litter...

My coursing bred dog runs rings round mine.. speed acceleration agility stamina.. My deerhound lurcher does 2mile by the bike and has his tounge out and slows up a bit by the end... Saluki lurcher did 6miles with his gob shut... Walk in the park...

See what your saying... Similar bred but thrown different ways luck of the draw

Saluki saturated lurcher their stamina is unreal.

• Like 1

maybe they just too laid back now ?and adding a different breed or lurcher to the mix stokes the fire ,so to speak.

never been around straight deerhound crosses only ones with something else in there.

My deerhound blooded lurcher is super laid back as said above, and she does take a bit to "get going".

For example my old red bitch and my pup know when we are going lamping, dogs just know the signs I guess, they bounce about going mad wanting to go out. The brindle bitch would rather sleep on the sofa, she does come when shouted but you can see it's because I've shouted her and not because she's raring to go.

She switches on once we are out and I can't fault her. But I can see why people don't like them.

Same when we are daytime mooching. She walks to heel unless she's picked a scent up or seen something. Whereas the pup is off in front finding her own stuff.

Interesting thread fellas.

:hmm:That different behaviour twixt your various lurchers, could well be down to the individual animal I would not equate it exclusively with Deerhound traits.

Some of these hybrids and crossbreeds, are more, up and at them,.than their more laid back cousins..

Like our canine hunting partners,..we are all a wee bit different.. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

mine was deerhound dad x greyhound with bull way back in breeding of bitch, was I lucky or what, he was a star and took anything, he didn't need anything else in him

13 when I had to have him put down october 15,don't think there would be anything else as good,he was a rock.

I said I'd put a few pics of my lads line bred deerhound greyhound when I got the chance,he's a lovely dog and I'd have him in a heartbeat come live with me, he's 9 months old and stands at just over 27"TTS, even now we give him the odd run on a day out and he catches a few, good ferreting companion and follows the terriers when bushing catching his share so the future looks bright for him,WM

post-101666-0-22787700-1452472755_thumb.jpg

post-101666-0-23982500-1452472983_thumb.jpg

post-101666-0-37451900-1452473044_thumb.jpg

post-101666-0-33259800-1452473117_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I said I'd put a few pics of my lads line bred deerhound greyhound when I got the chance,he's a lovely dog and I'd have him in a heartbeat come live with me, he's 9 months old and stands at just over 27"TTS, even now we give him the odd run on a day out and he catches a few, good ferreting companion and follows the terriers when bushing catching his share so the future looks bright for him,WM

DSC_0782 2.JPG

DSC_0735.JPG

DSC_0745.JPG

DSC_0823.JPG

Has your lad still got the hancock pup?

DSC_0782 2.JPG

DSC_0735.JPG

DSC_0745.JPG

DSC_0823.JPG

Has your lad still got the hancock pup?

No gaz, the hancock got nerve damage in its front leg after running into a tree whilst daytime bushing, hit the shoulder severing the nerve,shame but bred off non-workers they seem to not be able to take the rough and tumble of hard work, PTS and another now buried in my garden next to his other hancock, neither lived longer than 18 months and he will not get anymore of my families money again, look-a-like lurchers they should be named, LOL's, WM

As with any cross the breeds give you the type you still have to select the right dogs to cross. The deerhound x greyhound I owned was breed fro two dogs that were doing the business every week from rabbits to feral pigs and every thing in between. That litter produced same quality dogs. I breed my bitch to a bully stag just because I was hunting a lot of pigs at the time and wanted some holding strength I've been hunting the two I kept from that litter for the last 7 years.

Everyone knows you need bull in a lurcher to fire them up lol should start a new line called "clippers" putting the fire back in the lurchers lok

I don't think a little dash of bull blood would harm even 1/8