Would Any Of You Lend Your Dog Out.

Put it this way, when my dog and bitch both put themselves out of action for a good while. . . . . within the day i had three friends offer to loan me one of their dogs for a while.

Why? Because it would mean that I could get out and keep hunting, and more importantly because their dog would get a pile of one on one time, and lots of work thrown at it, in a way they may struggle to do.

I didn't take any in the end due to other commitments and kennel space!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No , I won't even let the Mrs take mine for a walk never mind letting someone else take them out no matter how well I knew them

I've only got one mate who I would trust with my dogs if he needed something to run, and if anything happened to them then it would be "so be it".   When the dogs off that slip lead it doesn't matte

Lend mine out regular but they keep bringing the b*****ds back. LOL

Nowadays,...my lurchers are basically pet/companions,...they do get the occasional day/night out, but they are mostly fireside curs.. :laugh:

Back in the day,...I had a different attitude, as regards working dogs,...

Facts were,. life was far harder,..sudden death or crippling injury was always patiently waiting to strike

As pure workers, they were expected to do a job,.. they took their chance,..as did we all. :yes:

So,..no,.....there would be no fecking point in lending out my canine pals.

Plus,...I very much doubt if they would ever listen to anyone else :thumbs:

• Like 1

The only person who is allowed to hold my dog on a lead is my mrs.. And that is just while I'm putting my Wellington boots on. As Mighty Celt says - there are to many things that could go wrong. I would hate to receive the call explaining that my dog has got a broken leg or worse has to be put to sleep!

Did it once many years ago with a terrier and the lad had a young lurcher and wanted to mooch some fields,he came running back freaking out she was to ground baying in a hole.He had to run back with me carrying the spade as i only had one bike :laugh: and she was just a spade deep and had 2 foxes in front of her and never have even thought about loaning one out since .. . As for lending out a lurcher there's one chance of that happening ;) and that's no fecking chance :bye: ..

Nowadays,...my lurchers are basically pet/companions,...they do get the occasional day/night out, but they are mostly fireside curs.. :laugh:

Back in the day,...I had a different attitude, as regards working dogs,...

Facts were,. life was far harder,..sudden death or crippling injury was always patiently waiting to strike

As pure workers, they were expected to do a job,.. they took their chance,..as did we all. :yes:

So,..no,.....there would be no fecking point in lending out my canine pals.

Plus,...I very much doubt if they would ever listen to anyone else :thumbs:

Thats an interesting thing, isn't it, that some dogs will listen to anyone and other dogs no one but their master.

My lot are generally aloof, odd, anti social b*****ds. . . . . . and if taken out by someone else, would either bugger off to look for me, or just go off hunting on their own.

However, I've met some dogs that would work me that weren't mine. Once years ago, I went up north for a days ferreting, taking my whippet and johnny boys gem, I picked her up the night before, she slept at mine without a worry, jumped in the truck in the dark, drove the length of the country, got out, ferreted and bushed all day, came home and went back to john. . . . . . didn't bat an eye lid and I don't think I ever gave her a single command.

Also used to borrow an old collie x grey and take her lamping, she would happily scoot out the house, into the motor and run and retrieve for me all night.

Last one. . . . . .used to go out for a daytime mooch somewhere with a good friend, regular. There was an old bull x bitch who lived nearby and slept loose in the yard, she would turn up every time we went out, and hunt with us and our dogs all day of her own choice, catching some serious quarry. At the end of the day she would trundle off home, but be back every time we went out. Sadly the owner moved, and we don't see her anymore. . . . the last day we went out she didn't trundle home and jumped straight in the back of the truck with the other dogs, we had to get her out several times, as we didn't want to 'steal her'. Never saw her again.

Off topic, but funny things dogs.

• Like 1

Don't think I would. I mean put all that time and effort into dog then some one else cut it or put it out of action for a while. Think that would put me off. Would be more than willing to go with lad

ime working mate,i take the dog out at weekend kid takes it during week works out well dogs getting hunt 4 r 5 times a week.

That's great that's dogs getting out regular every one has different situations with work and stuff. Fair play to lad that taking him he obviously looking after him very we'll