The Future Of Working Lurchers.

Working lurcher Organisation - Countryside Alliance.  

104 members have voted

1. 1. With the recent rumbles regarding a amendment. Do lurcher men want & club that is willing to promote legitimate lurcher work , communicate their concerns at a higher level and a platform to share knowledge,experience & field trials etc.

• Yes - I think thats something we are missing.
    • I am not sure but, If i seen some action, id like to participate.
    • I am not interested.
  2. 2. Would You Join the CA "If " lurcher work was seen to be a concern of theirs?

• I already am a member.
    • Id join "IF" they were seen to be working, to protect & promote legitimate lurcher work.
    • I am not interested .
    • No . Id not even give them Ten pence.

Leeview the leaflet is there for all to view it is clear what is printed on it they can draw their own conclusions , if they are of a mind to then read the entire Hunting with Dogs Act that is also their choice now I have more important things to occupy my time than nit pick with you and pontificate ATB

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will be a long term campaign, tough and certainly not for the weak hearted or those who cannot commit to and stick to the proposals as regards time and enthusiasm. Every body ,who is involved in

The term lurcher work covers a wide spectrum of countryside and sporting activities. I personally dont think joe public has any great objections to lurcher work as most of them wouldnt know or unders

With the recent proposed Amendment going on hold & a few related posts and topics on here..   Its got me thinking and most likely a few others.   I've touched upon the subject with some like

Posted Images

Now Children, You all want the same bloody thing for christ sake. There seems to be two camps forming when there should be only one. We must all work together to fight for the repeal of the hunting ban. What will arguing about a government text achieve at this time? For the moment, let us sort out the way forward together. What experience, contacts and knowledge I have, is available to you all and likewise there are some very clever men & women with equal knowledge and perhaps more ability than I, They have a massive amount of that skill and knowledge to share. All Lurcher/Longdog owners have something to say and we must listen. We will ONLY achieve a repeal of the hunting by working together."For evil to succeed it only needs good men to do nothing"

Alan Tyer

Courser.

Edited by courser
  • Like 7

Dewclaw69 speaks an awful lot of sense. only by working together can we move forward and undo the damage that has already been done. As for a private meeting with dersertbred, I do not think that private meeting between two people would as much to the point as a meeting of all interested parties. A private meeting would only lead people to think that we are in it for self interest. I am sure that people like dersertbred, flynn, leeview, Giro,maxhardcore, and many others have a lot to offer. We need this input, and in an open way, not by private meetings.

Alan Tyer

• Like 1

Dewclaw69 speaks an awful lot of sense. only by working together can we move forward and undo the damage that has already been done. As for a private meeting with dersertbred, I do not think that private meeting between two people would as much to the point as a meeting of all interested parties. A private meeting would only lead people to think that we are in it for self interest. I am sure that people like dersertbred, flynn, leeview, Giro,maxhardcore, and many others have a lot to offer. We need this input, and in an open way, not by private meetings.

Alan Tyer

The only reason it was suggested I had a meeting with you is that I apparently live about 4 miles from you and a face to face would ensure we are on the same hymn sheet also it would possibly have led to a bigger meeting being planned for later this month but if it would not serve any purpose then that is your opinion. I also have mine but yes working together usually entails meetings be they solo or in groups or public gatherings. Will you be organising a large public meeting in the near future? When was the last large members gathering the ALC actually organised and participated in so we get a clearer picture of the openess you prefer.

Edited by desertbred

Leeview the leaflet is there for all to view it is clear what is printed on it they can draw their own conclusions , if they are of a mind to then read the entire Hunting with Dogs Act that is also their choice now I have more important things to occupy my time than nit pick with you and pontificate ATB

from the outset the original idea was to straighten out misrepresentation of the lurcher in the press ie suffolk polices misguided posts. You've got your committee set up and what happens you start putting scare mongering posts up (if you only read the 1st page) read all of it and its contradictory of the rest of the leaflet.

What you would best be doing is replying to them pointing out the errors in their leaflet instead you have a go at me saying you dont want to read the Hunting Act.

lurcher folk are meant to be pulling together :hmm:

Y.I.S Leeview

Thank you for your honesty maxhardcore, I respect that. Desertbred, I do not doubt your integrity, but what the ALC has done in the past is not as important as what WE will do in the future. I have already stated that the ALC was of it's time and now we must move on and speak for the individual, not only clubs, at the same time we must keep all the contacts and support that twenty years of fighting the antis has given us.. My objection to a Private meeting is that many other Lurcher/longdog owners also have legitimate questions and I cannot meet them all privately. Whether the ALC last had a Big meeting one, two or ten years ago will not make any difference to the fight for a repeal. However, you are welcome to call for a cup of tea and a chat.

Anyway, enough is enough, I see no need to justify myself or the past of the ALC. To all Lurcher/longdog owners If you need or want the help of all the contacts, documentation, experience that I bring, it is yours, with or without me. I am getting past my sell by date anyway. As I have repeatedly said, what we the Lurcher/longdog owners need to do is our part in getting the hunt ban repealed, this is what matters. I suggest that from the ALC we form a club called "the Alliance for the working Longdog" and use all the help and knowledge that many of you have. One banner for all, lets move. I know many will expect me to have all the answers already but that is not the case. We all will need to contribute. Well, is it what you want? or shall we continue to send post after post, until the hunting world cannot even remember that the Lurcher/longdog owners stood for anything.

Edited by courser
  • Like 4

I speaking as an individual that holds no official position other than in a saluki club, do fully appreciate the Offer that Alan Tyer has put forward and again speaking from an individuals perspective see it as an ideal opportunity to utilise all the benefits that the ALC has accrued over the years from the efforts of Mr Tyer. The name suggested may be the banner needed. The one Banner for all is all that the people have been asking for and openess and transparency. i also am no spring chicken but still take an interest on what happens in the countryside as well as still working my sightdogs.

My personal Take is that full repeal of the Legislation known as the Hunting with Dogs Act will never happen. One because of the misconceived public perceptions of the barbarity as portrayed by the LACS and RSPCA, and the present political situation in regards to European leanings and controls implemented some by Brussels are a hinderence to a full repeal. Though Cameron did state a repeal the apparent carrot being dangled points towards a few amendments to the .existing act. We should continue to fight for full repeal but that does not appear to be up for negotiation at the present time.

Unity is a must for lurchers/longdogs/ sighthounds in fact any working sporting group the offer has been produced now it needs to be considered by those with the authority to make such decisions , or at least put before the people who are working for the cause. ATB

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

Desertbred, I fully concur with your last post and as I already knew, you have a lot to offer. I look forward to our cup of tea (and if we are lucky, my wife Barbara might supply some cake) People like yourself and others, Leeview, flynn, Giro, Dewclaw69 and others that I may have missed, sorry if I have, are the backbone of any endeavor to bring about change. In the first instance, subject to agreement, I put forward the name "the Alliance for the Working Longdog" This would be the name to be used by a steering group to get the ball rolling. I have the documentation needed to present "the Alliance for the Working Longdog" as a viable organisation. I will just need to make some changes and with the help of a steering group that, if agreed opon, will start the ball rolling until a committee can voted upon and we can get the day to day items sorted out.. In the first instance, I ask if you the lurcher/longdog owners wants this, If so please let me know. Thanks, must go to Giro for starting all this with his post.

"Festina Lente"

Alan Tyer

Edited by courser

Desertbred, I fully concur with your last post and as I already knew, you have a lot to offer. I look forward to our cup of tea (and if we are lucky, my wife Barbara might supply some cake) People like yourself and others, Leeview, flynn, Giro, Dewclaw69 and others that I may have missed, sorry if I have, are the backbone of any endeavor to bring about change. In the first instance, subject to agreement, I put forward the name "the Alliance for the Working Longdog" This would be the name to be used by a steering group to get the ball rolling. I have the documentation needed to present "the Alliance for the Working Longdog" as a viable organisation. I will just need to make some changes and with the help of a steering group that, if agreed opon, will start the ball rolling until a committee can voted upon and we can get the day to day items sorted out.. In the first instance, I ask if you the lurcher/longdog owners wants this, If so please let me know. Thanks, must go to Giro for starting all this with his post.

"Festina Lente"

Alan Tyer

Thank You Alan :thumbs:

With this in mind folk need to let Alan, or Leeview or myself know if You agree or disagree with the way forward for this steering group and the name ? I must emphasize at this point there is no commitee. A suggested period of 8 weeks of free membership, for starters , then the members can vote in the commitee.

We feel this is the best way forward for ( whatever the name becomes ) plus Alan with need to inform the Council of Hunting of the name change .

Transparacy at all times and an open dialogue will be readly available as things progress.

Certainly no * inner sanctums *

Your choice.

seems to be taking shape, my main gripe has always been the inability of the media to correctly report the factual position within the hunting act when it comes to working lurchers, even as a start this can be put correct then at least the general public will have the facts and not the media`s version that all dog work with lurchers is banned and to report anyone in a field with a lurcher day or night as they are baiting something or other.

Alan just a quick one.

Why , The Alliance For The Working Longdog?

Why is the name - term Lurcher getting dropped ?

The name suggested sounds fine to me but some might see it as alienating them and their Dogs if they own or work Lurchers ?

I am sure Alan will give You his reasons, BUT its a suggestion only :thumbs:

seems to be taking shape, my main gripe has always been the inability of the media to correctly report the factual position within the hunting act when it comes to working lurchers, even as a start this can be put correct then at least the general public will have the facts and not the media`s version that all dog work with lurchers is banned and to report anyone in a field with a lurcher day or night as they are baiting something or other.

now what did Alan write, oh yes ( i did google it ) 'Festina Lente' and i agree with You totally Paulus

So are you guys splintering off and starting a new group with Alan ??? Because I was under the impression that five members of this site had been nominated and are due to hold a meeting to discuss a number of points, set an agenda and write a proposal to put before Tim bonner in a meeting to take place at a later date. No name has yet been decided for the new group, that will be done in the meeting, no membership details have been discussed that will be done at the meeting.

This all stemmed from dewclaw getting the ball rolling and the ball is gathering momentum rapidly, Flynn and leeveiw I don't understand where you are coming from ? You sound as though yourselves and Alan are making decisions about this new club ?????????

• Like 2