How Far Do You Walk Your Dogs?

Too the pub and back the walking back Usally takes a lot longer

:laugh: , :thumbs: I walk about 4 hours over the day, plus the dogs are loose either chasing tree rats lol, or my younger dog will play with other dogs he meets . like last night he was none stop running this collie about for good 5-6 mins , t both were fooked after lol , that's got to have done more good than just stuck on a lead I reckon :yes:
aye comes in handy when dogs get along wish myne would he can be a right spiteful git some days yet with some dogs as good as gold

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's far to warm to be walking dogs in this weather they are better off in their runs whilst I drink cold cider to keep the heat off ... Come to think of it it's to cold in the winter and they are bet

My lurcher will do at least 6 mile a day behind the van on the way to and from work its a 3 mile single track so its pretty safe to run behind and for the rest of the day just trails around with me an

Too the pub and back the walking back Usally takes a lot longer

Posted Images

I dont think walking alone can keep a dog fit, only work does that, but at this time of year i walk the dogs to the pond and let them retreave from the water a couple of times a day, only 30 mins or so, its the best i can do with work and other things.

• Like 1

I dont think walking alone can keep a dog fit, only work does that, but at this time of year i walk the dogs to the pond and let them retreave from the water a couple of times a day, only 30 mins or so, its the best i can do with work and other things.

I'd say the opposite,whenever i need to get a dog fit i build everything around long on lead walks.

running off lead and biking are just extras.

ok chaps but the only thing I am worried about is letting her hunt when she's not fit, I mean she's fit but not toned up yet so I'll just try her on a few young rabbits and see how she goes

A bloody lot and it doesn't calm the cnut down. On Friday I did 12km on the skates with him. Now I tend to take it easy heat/joints etc but he was just way fired up and we ended up doing it in under an hour including water breaks. Take him for min 2 hours everyday to the park/river/beach etc one in the morning and one after work. Plus if I'm not working he is with me no matter where I am. Bars/friends/women don't like it they can kiss my plums ;)

they need hunted fit.imo.few good hunts early on you can see the difference,

I'd say the opposite,whenever i need to get a dog fit i build everything around long on lead walks.

I,v never walked a dog fit Neems, i dont think you can, and i,v had some good Hare dogs in the past, not Saluki blood either, i,v just increased their work load as and when. I know alot of Greyhound men walk their dog's to their standard of fitness but thats not fit enough for a good working dog, not imo anyway.

PS, Listen at me with my Beddy X Whippet LOL.

Edited by buster gonads
  • Like 2

Every morning i walk my dogs for 5 miles 2 hours before i get up.

Then after breakfast we do 2 miles swimming down the cut.

A brisk 2 mile jog after a light lunch.

10 mile next to the motor mid afternoon to blow away the cobwebs.

Then we round it off with flyball, lure chasing and 2 hours on the slat mill in the evening.

At weekends we do the 3 peaks challenge Saturdays and a Toughmudder Sundays where we can.

And we do this every week religious..! :)

Every morning i walk my dogs for 5 miles 2 hours before i get up.

Then after breakfast we do 2 miles swimming down the cut.

A brisk 2 mile jog after a light lunch.

10 mile next to the motor mid afternoon to blow away the cobwebs.

Then we round it off with flyball, lure chasing and 2 hours on the slat mill in the evening.

At weekends we do the 3 peaks challenge Saturdays and a Toughmudder Sundays where we can.

And we do this every week religious..! :)

Is that all you do your dog must get board

• Like 3

they need hunted fit.imo.few good hunts early on you can see the difference,

I,v never walked a dog fit Neems, i dont think you can, and i,v had some good Hare dogs in the past, not Saluki blood either, i,v just increased their work load as and when. I know alot of Greyhound men walk their dog's to their standard of fitness but thats not fit enough for a good working dog, not imo anyway.

PS, Listen at me with my Beddy X Whippet LOL.

thats fair enough mate,i used to try everything other than walking because it gets boring,but have found really long walks,a bit of free running and a bit next to the bike get them a lot fitter.

Im talking building into 10+ miles a day.

Sometimes its not so much as how far you walk them...But how you walk them.

walking at your own slow steady pace and wandering around aimlessly for a few miles is not as good as a light steady brisk walk where the dog is striding but not jogging/trotting..

for this I prefer the pushbike..but its hard to go slow enough sometimes..

Then when there getting fitter i go longer and speed up and down at certain points etc etc... this time of year its best late at night or very early morning before the sun gets too hot.

post-11815-0-10583100-1433970768_thumb.jpg

Sometimes its not so much as how far you walk them...But how you walk them.

walking at your own slow steady pace and wandering around aimlessly for a few miles is not as good as a light steady brisk walk where the dog is striding but not jogging/trotting..

for this I prefer the pushbike..but its hard to go slow enough sometimes..

Then when there getting fitter i go longer and speed up and down at certain points etc etc... this time of year its best late at night or very early morning before the sun gets too hot.

attachicon.gifbike.jpg

bloody hell vin, seen bike like that in the Easy Rider movie :laugh: I be doing bike with Buck in mid july - mid august , prob about 20 mile a week, just to open his lungs up a bit . your right on the speed, what to give him is what called the (riding trot) not galloping / not walking just in between the 2 . :thumbs: a month of this and dog ready for bit of lamping, but lamping is the only way really to get them proper fit I reckon :yes:

I think it is right above,it's not how far, but you do it. I could walk my dogs 3-5 miles on a lead and they'll still do my head in wrestling/play fighting, but 30 minutes in a field with scent/game and some stimulation in it and they are calmer, I think they need stimulating. I have a few walks worked out based on how much I can be bothered. Usually something for a sprint or grub about, I'll sit an watch and let them work a hedgerow sometimes, not that I could catch anything :blink::whistling:

Not that this counts towards fitness I guess.