Do People Often Lose Ferrets?

Rats are a problem they tuck up in tight places : (

And if you've a ferret that actively works rats not all do , this can be a pain . Often through roots etc ,

do you have to target rats specifically/ train them to target them or more of the case that some like finding them and others dont?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you ferret rabbits on a regular. (daily) basis,...and over different terrain/areas,...sooner or later,.. the odds are,.. that you will lose a ferret... It is a rotten feeling,..travelling homewards

My mate found a small hob last week were he works , up on the mountain miles from any home , someone has lost it , it's been well handled and fed , I've given it a new home

When you start working your ferret be sensible about choice of burrows. Start with either little ones or easily observed burrows. That way ,even if your ferret makes a kill or is otherwise slow to em

If Im doing warrens in brambles etc where its not easy to see ferrets emerging I use a cat bell on an elastic band which goes around the ferrets neck, using an elastic band ensures that if the bell snags on something underground the ferret can pull free, also the band makes it easier to change the bell a couple of times through the day when it gets mud inside and doesn't work so well. I use a locator and collar as well of course.

I believe most of the strays that are found have been dumped rather than lost, Ive met a few ferreters who would leave a ferret in a warren if it was taking to long and buy another for the next session.

yes i thought about a bell but the band is a good idea!

do people ferret at night at all? im sure you could use the bell system but also have a small light? or is there no benefit to doing it at night? more hassle than its worth sort of thing?

Ive only tried once at night wasn't for me. Theres one or two on here that do it though.

Another tip for you, if you cant dig your ferret out for any reason (for example hes under a tree) open up a rabbits belly, put the rabbit in a purse net then chuck it just inside the closest hole to where you think your ferret is, quite often the smell will be enough to draw the ferret out, make sure you stick the peg in the ground so the ferret cant drag the rabbit further down.

If Im doing warrens in brambles etc where its not easy to see ferrets emerging I use a cat bell on an elastic band which goes around the ferrets neck, using an elastic band ensures that if the bell snags on something underground the ferret can pull free, also the band makes it easier to change the bell a couple of times through the day when it gets mud inside and doesn't work so well. I use a locator and collar as well of course.

I believe most of the strays that are found have been dumped rather than lost, Ive met a few ferreters who would leave a ferret in a warren if it was taking to long and buy another for the next session.

do people ferret at night at all? im sure you could use the bell system but also have a small light? or is there no benefit to doing it at night? more hassle than its worth sort of thing?

Ive only tried once at night wasn't for me. Theres one or two on here that do it though.

Another tip for you, if you cant dig your ferret out for any reason (for example hes under a tree) open up a rabbits belly, put the rabbit in a purse net then chuck it just inside the closest hole to where you think your ferret is, quite often the smell will be enough to draw the ferret out, make sure you stick the peg in the ground so the ferret cant drag the rabbit further down.

Ah fair enough, Maybe thats something to look into for me further down the line!

Ah thats a good idea, i think im going to have to write all these down! :laugh: Thanks!

• Like 1

i do a few a few places at night under a full moon or 3 quarter at least its surprising how light it can be on a cold clear night and some red hot places are easy done without any light and a educated mutt or two aid the smooth running of things took some good numbers on places you couldnt do in the day time and with no light or bell either matey just a working collar

Edited by blackmaggie

i do a few a few places at night under a full moon or 3 quarter at least its surprising how light it can be on a cold clear night and a educated mutt or two aid the smooth running of things took some good numbers on places you couldnt do in the day time

I see what you mean! do you just use the dogs at night then? not nets?

As an answer to your question can a ferret be a pet and work yes they can a ferret is a very clever animal they can even be tought tricks I used to know an old boy who had a jill that would fetch a ball of paper

Watched half a doz good fit bunnies go down a single hole on a nice clear banking one day, great i think some nice easy bunnies here, put the little jill in collared up,4 hrs later not a rabbit and not a single click on the box. i put a squirrel trap in the hole and the farmer went back every day for a week, we got her back after 7 days but for the first 5 the farmer took a rabbit out of the trap.

Brian

As an answer to your question can a ferret be a pet and work yes they can a ferret is a very clever animal they can even be tought tricks I used to know an old boy who had a jill that would fetch a ball of paper

Okay thats good news! thanks :D

Watched half a doz good fit bunnies go down a single hole on a nice clear banking one day, great i think some nice easy bunnies here, put the little jill in collared up,4 hrs later not a rabbit and not a single click on the box. i put a squirrel trap in the hole and the farmer went back every day for a week, we got her back after 7 days but for the first 5 the farmer took a rabbit out of the trap.

Brian

I seem to be getting the impression that kind of thing is quite common! Luckily ive got quite a few live capture traps :laugh:

Left the wife too look after three of mine wile I was away once- Simple mistake after feeding latch not correctly back on the other three was - wakes up next morning ferrets had got out 2 returned 1 didn't - 1 of them was found in a rabbit hutch of someone in town had eaten her pet rabbit - was a little difficult collecting my ferret back of them !

Point of the story you have more chance loosing them at home than you do out in the field ! (My opinion)

Collar them up / Use a dead rabbit to draw them out of the warren where necessary / Send in a fresh ferret to wake them up / If all else fails fresh bedding cat carrier food and return in the morning

• Like 1

Left the wife too look after three of mine wile I was away once- Simple mistake after feeding latch not correctly back on the other three was - wakes up next morning ferrets had got out 2 returned 1 didn't - 1 of them was found in a rabbit hutch of someone in town had eaten her pet rabbit - was a little difficult collecting my ferret back of them !

Point of the story you have more chance loosing them at home than you do out in the field ! (My opinion)

Collar them up / Use a dead rabbit to draw them out of the warren where necessary / Send in a fresh ferret to wake them up / If all else fails fresh bedding cat carrier food and return in the morning

Yes i could see all the members of my family doing something like that :hmm:

That seems to be the general consensus though! thanks for the advice :)

Ferrets are sociable animals, treating like pets will not endanger their working potential, unless of course they are tret only like a pet and never worked if that makes sense?

Cheers, D.