Do Your Bushers Go To Ground?

neems

I have a big bushing terrier and it's something I haven't encouraged, if he dropped to ground it would shaft the day for me.

if he is that big would he fit to ground

Never tried, digging is not what we do, no permission for digging.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think morton is right to a degree a good working terrier should basically take on any thing. This fella was a tremendous worker and superb ferreting dog which was his original purpose but he would

Who are you to call another man dogs anything Morton? Again, the lack of "likes" on your comments shows not everyone agrees with your sentiments. If the dogs are doing what the owners require how d

My terrier doesn't go to ground, he may be too big or he might fit in some its not what I have him for, but no way is he 3rd rate, he has enough leg to work all day.

I have a big bushing terrier and it's something I haven't encouraged, if he dropped to ground it would shaft the day for me.

if he is that big would he fit to ground

ive known of hounds, beagles, spaniels and lurchers to ground. so he'd get on in some places no bother.

• Like 3

I don't keep dogs anymore because of different life circumstances but I use to have a mooching pack a couple of terriers and collie whippet greyhound ...to answer the question yes the terriers often went to ground the dog terrier was a curr and would be out in 10 minutes but was a very handy finding dog the bitch on the other hand was in it to win it and once she was in the dog would be straight out baying at the mouth of the hole ..another handy trait for my situation as I could always find them ...to me he was worth his weigh in gold ..I was never far from a spade as I had them hid all over the place...great days not a care in the world just let the dogs go and see what came up or went down lol.

atb

kanny

• Like 4

Who are you to call another man dogs anything Morton? Again, the lack of "likes" on your comments shows not everyone agrees with your sentiments. :hmm:

If the dogs are doing what the owners require how does that make them 3rd rate? After all we cant all own all round worldbeaters.

A saying pops up on here all the time... "Your dogs only as good as the game its shown" Now if the owner isnt interested in that type off work, it makes sense not to show it that type of day out. For people with no permission and no legal method of dispatch, a dog that drops in could be a right pain in the arse, and if it happens in the wrong place it can also see you on the wrong side of the bars, also not everyones cup of tea.

Ive two "bushing" terriers here. 5yr Russell and a 6yr patt. Neither went to ground, not that I wanted them to. So I got the pat spayed at 3 years old as knowing what little I did, I didnt want to be accused of watering down the gene pool, Breeding shite if you like. I could have sold XX pat pups to pet homes to friends and relatives(I wish I had now, my Ma would have pat`s instead of yorkies :laugh: ) I had people offering deposits, But I didnt breed, so dont tar everyone in the game with the same brush.

Fast forward to the start of this year, I was trapping a few urban foxes and the terriers had a sniff of them bagged up for disposal... Now the pair of them drop in anything they can. Im not saying they stay but some times they stay longer than I`d like. Which for me could end in tears.

Keep what suits you.

Sadly not everybody as your honesty,to many people breed from terriers that are not worth breeding from.If i wanted a bushing dog and did not want it to enter id source a non-entering busher,Spaniel,Beagle,combination of both etc.,if,as many do,they wanted a terrier id source an honest bred working type then hunt it as i required,a proper bred terrier often shows more character than one of its non-entering cousins,this often proves advantageous out in the field,especially if it meets its quarry face to face.Again to much dross is bred with the sole intention of turning a dollar,especially in the terrier game,more especially with Bedlingtons.Im sick to the back teeth of seeing litters of Bedlingtons,other terriers also,bred from dogs that ratch about on top,chew the odd rodent,then advertised as"from working stock",they are not workers in my eyes and should be classed as 3rd rate.Honesty as little to play in much of the terrier breeding about now and people with a terrier that will not enter should not breed from it,better to source entered stock and then graft it as you desire,at least if bred from the progeny have a more honest chance of enhancing a kennel that wishes to utilise them below.Ive no issue with anyone not wanting their terrier to non-enter,a terrier that will not enter could be worth its weight in gold to some and honest owners like yourself have the fortitude and honesty to not breed from such,sadly you are in the minority.Id not own a terrier that was bred from such and if brought a terrier on to find it a failure id find a pet home or cull,the sad facts of life are that a lad that see,s a litter advertised as "bred from workers"is often misled about the mutts true working history,then wastes 2 years of time and effort on a cull.

• Like 2

Mmm, strange word enter,been a hunting man all my life,when you enter a terrier,should it be to,?ground?,to rats?rabbits,bring game out of water?,the definition of entering covers a multitude of sins,I'm still trying to find what I'm after for bushing, I have terriers, but as terrier should , so it's been said on here, enter! , they drop in and face the demon in the dark,but as much as I love hunting them it's not what I'm after, they are proven and have entered to the quarry, that they were bred for, what is it ? If you want a digging dog keep one for that purpose, I no longer require terriers to dig to, so I'm after , spaniel x, and it will be entered carefully, for bushing above ground, I've seen foxhounds crawl into earths, but they don't get to far,if any dog is not entered with some sort of care , them it may be spoilt,bushing is great sport, if you gather a little pack, you are master and huntsman, back in the day would gather 10+men and as many dogs,go early, have the crack and come home, bash through local shoots, and occasionally we'd have a terrier drop in ,two lads would stay , either dig out or wait pending where we were, but nowadays you can't go with too many, still great fun, and you'd be surprised how the pups would come on with a small pack, what ever you do, how ever you work your little pack, the secret is to keep them in blood,a hound of any sort becomes displacsesent and stale, when not catching, atb dd

• Like 1

I think morton is right to a degree a good working terrier should basically take on any thing. This fella was a tremendous worker and superb ferreting dog which was his original purpose but he would happily drop to ground and duke it out with a fox for as long as needed.

14984087736_1814a4dba4_z.jpg

Yes it was a pain when you want a nice little ferreting trip and got diverted for hours digging a fox but I was proud as punch of him. Rat, mink, fox and rabbit

But if the dog suites you and does the bushing job I certainly wouldn't get shot because it wouldn't go to ground

Proper old school Russell, love it

• Like 1

I think morton is right to a degree a good working terrier should basically take on any thing. This fella was a tremendous worker and superb ferreting dog which was his original purpose but he would happily drop to ground and duke it out with a fox for as long as needed.

14984087736_1814a4dba4_z.jpg

Yes it was a pain when you want a nice little ferreting trip and got diverted for hours digging a fox but I was proud as punch of him. Rat, mink, fox and rabbit

But if the dog suites you and does the bushing job I certainly wouldn't get shot because it wouldn't go to ground

A bit off topic but that's the best put together russell I've seen in years

My terrier doesn't go to ground, he may be too big or he might fit in some its not what I have him for, but no way is he 3rd rate, he has enough leg to work all day.

IMG_0054%202.jpg

credit to you the condition the dogs in :thumbs:

• Like 2

IMG_0054%202.jpg

He always looks in top condition mate, you must put some time and effort in :thumbs:

• Like 1