Kennelling Terriers

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They're all related in one way or another and they get enough. Two of the bitches are 10 years old, two are 8 months old, one's two and a half and the small black bitch is about 18 months old. You've

I keep my terriers together all day as long as someone's about the house, the secret is to know your dogs. Plenty of work and walks and any trouble gets nipped in the bud before it happens.

Would never keep two of the same sex together!!

Posted Images

They're all related in one way or another and they get enough.

Two of the bitches are 10 years old, two are 8 months old, one's two and a half and the small black bitch is about 18 months old. You've got to keep bringing them on or you'll stagnate and end up with a yard of old farts that are fit for f**k all. I've given more working dogs free of charge to good working homes than most of you have bred pups. If I think a terrier would suit you more than me I'm happy to give them away. You still have to keep a core of workers around the place just so I can go down the local and talk shit and move more soil with every pint.

well worded. I agree with you.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep al my terriers doubled up. 2 bitches together 2 dogs together no probs. I keep 2 bull x dogs penned together as well. Like said above "know your dogs".

Can't help thinking this will end in tears for you pal. Bad enough kennelling opposite sexes together but same sex pairs? :no:

IMO if you haven't got the space to kennel separately it's time to move some on.

• Like 1

I thought I knew them, luckily I got their before anything worse than cuts or bruises. Better to learn from others mistakes rather than make them yourself. On another note I remember a lad telling me he doesn't worry about terriers fighting "it's mostly just noise" he'd say, I think he's wrong the little b*****ds can and do inflict horrific injuries on each other quickly and for nothing more than a sideways glance.

Been kenneld together since pups. Never had any bother with any of my running dògs fighting, I exercise them as a pack etc if there was a trouble maker among them I wouldnt keep it. Same goes for tansporting dogs together

Been kenneld together since pups. Never had any bother with any of my running dògs fighting, I exercise them as a pack etc if there was a trouble maker among them I wouldnt keep it. Same goes for tansporting dogs together

It can all be fine for years until one day one of them wakes up on the wrong side of bed or maybe their kennel mate stands on a sore paw and the next thing you know its all kicking off.

I just don't understand why anyone would take the risk the heartache that can come from kennelling in pairs when it's so easily avoided.

Just to be clear I'm not crabbing or telling anyone how to keep their dogs if you're happy with kennelling in pairs crack on, but its better to learn from others mistakes than wait til you're the one coming home to a bloodbath.

Edited by BGD
  • Like 2

I keep opposite sex paired up but you've still got to know your dogs. It's no good pairing anything that doesn't get on or give each other those subtle body gestures like stiff walking in front of each other and the dead eye, it's about seeing it before it happens. I agree with your view about bringing up pups so they know their place but each dog continually tests the boundaries, just be aware of it. I never have other people's dogs, it unsettles the yard and every dog has to reassert his position again, it's better to rear your own. All said and done shit still happens, never leave a yard of dogs especially terriers.

These are my bitches, there's two young dog pups with them on the yard. It's taken me a week of bringing them out with me to slowly introduce them and to make sure the bitches know they're part of the yard, they might never of bothered them but I wasn't going to take the chance. The old chocolate bitch against the wall to the right is their mother.

post-55605-0-29861600-1430382132_thumb.jpg

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 9