Lets See Them Whippets, Coarsing, Racing, Working

6 hours ago, mC HULL said:

imagine that times ten lol that can see hares in distance you can’t deers before you can and  the means to get to them half a mile away and stop them something that doesn’t know what walking off the lead is it’s just straight in hunt mode quartering fields never ever switched off 

Not having a dig at you or your dogs here at all but I don’t think that sort of behaviour means a dogs got a high drive, I’ve seen dogs that behave like that go on to jack when worked hard

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Il start.. 2 year old. Bred from worker to worker, mostly ferreting, lamping mooching dogs, 21" pics have been put up before.

My whippets. Dam and son                  

Hopefully these few old pictures and some of recollections from my early teens (the late 1950’s and early 1960’s) may be of some interest. They’re all old style “rag whippets” and pre date the require

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, Runner96 said:

Each to there own I suppose. I do know what you mean by very “highly driven”. I have one like that aswell that I’m struggling a little with. To me a dog that fecks of hunting up on there own out of site, is a dog that’s had little training. Or just been aloud to do so. Which if works for you great!👍 

This one is nuts. Just starting to come good! 

DB73A125-4C46-4575-A8C7-49FDE0096C7E.jpeg

nothing to do with training mate it’s preydrive  they don’t have no off button they ain’t a dog that will walk at your side and just enjoy a walk without needing eyes in the back a your head they are constantly scanning get scents and act killing is on the mind once on a field i potter to motor me old lady’s streets away no lead they but any land never happening unless you want to get yourself in trouble 

they return no calling but straight in scan mode and if they see out on return or while with kill will just go straight on another 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Not having a dig at you or your dogs here at all but I don’t think that sort of behaviour means a dogs got a high drive, I’ve seen dogs that behave like that go on to jack when worked hard

a dog that’s always in hunt mode scanning getting on scents ain’t got high prey drive ?

14 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

a dog that’s always in hunt mode scanning getting on scents ain’t got high prey drive ?

What I mean is I’ve had a dog myself that was like that, and he ended up throwing the towel in on easy quarry. On the other hand I’ve had a bitch that would never go off hunting up, just behaved herself & did what she was told, but she’d push herself through 100 times what that “high driven” dog would’ve done

8 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I would offer some more input to this thread, but it's been so long since I owned a dog, 1976 I think, so Gooey assures me, it'd be pointless.  Eh Gooey?  😄 👍

no mate we’re all entitled to do as we please and put input on threads be boring if you stopped posting 

1 hour ago, Chaff said:

How old is he/she mate.

Think your spot on about lack of training or left to roam like a free spirit I know a few round here that think running feral like is a good thing lol

She is year and a bit mate. 3/8th 5/8th bull grey. Not fitting for this topic but, just as we where talking about if I knew what a high prey drive was.

This is my other little fella. More on topic, made up of a mainly whippet. Just over 5 year old and 20TTS. 

C16C4400-C88A-4177-8F42-3E0EB98A7089.png

146A5126-D060-4C78-A799-18724FFE4A6E.pngHe also is what I would call a driven dog. 

Edited by Runner96
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Runner96 said:

She is year and a bit mate. 3/8th 5/8th bull grey. Not fitting for this topic but, just as we where talking about if I knew what a high prey drive was.

This is my other little fella. More on topic, made up of a mainly whippet. Just over 5 year old and 20TTS. 

146A5126-D060-4C78-A799-18724FFE4A6E.pngHe also is what I would call a driven dog. 

little powerhouse what would you say a prey driven dog mate 

1 hour ago, Runner96 said:

He looks very well mate

Does he have terrier blood in him, looks like a lot of fun and at five has he steadied up now.

Cheers

20 minutes ago, Chaff said:

He looks very well mate

Does he have terrier blood in him, looks like a lot of fun and at five has he steadied up now.

Cheers

He does mate. His dam was collie, whippet, bull, grey. Sire 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy. Just worker to worker really. He sired his first litter this year. Pups are about 4 months old. This is one of the bitches 

19A40598-03F4-4B68-9C27-CA510B9B9146.png

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

little powerhouse what would you say a prey driven dog mate 

Tbh mate a dog that lives for work! Weather that be working for its self or working for its owner. Every one needs different in a dog. As long as we all enjoy what we have and what we do 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I've seen plenty of people's dogs labelled as having high prey drive when in fact it's just a lack of work and crazy excitement. I'd rather have a steady worker when doing pest control with the land owner looking on.

An animal running around the country like a headless chicken doesnt equate to prey drive mate 😉

• Like 3