Lets See Them Whippets, Coarsing, Racing, Working

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Il start.. 2 year old. Bred from worker to worker, mostly ferreting, lamping mooching dogs, 21" pics have been put up before.

My whippets. Dam and son                  

Hopefully these few old pictures and some of recollections from my early teens (the late 1950’s and early 1960’s) may be of some interest. They’re all old style “rag whippets” and pre date the require

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

lol you think a whippet is as strong and hardy as a sal lol ffs you can’t be for real 

As ive told you before I have neither so I’ve got no reason to lie, I’ve seen coursing bred dogs with all the big names in their breeding that couldn’t even take being ran once a week without breaking down with injury.

But this is a topic about whippets so I won’t help you ruin it any further, please start a topic about coursing dogs and give all the others a chance to get back on track

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

As ive told you before I have neither so I’ve got no reason to lie, I’ve seen coursing bred dogs with all the big names in their breeding that couldn’t even take being ran once a week without breaking down with injury.

But this is a topic about whippets so I won’t help you ruin it any further, please start a topic about coursing dogs and give all the others a chance to get back on track

no bother i’m out tonight with pal and whippet i’ll post a few pics later 

52 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

lol you think a whippet is as strong and hardy as a sal lol ffs you can’t be for real 

If you can cast ya mind back I’ve said ther the dog for the game  but whippets ain’t if  now I’ve said it again lol  will add I like getting a smaller dog to push the bar that’s all x

• Like 1

It's horses for courses.

I've worked lurchers, bull x's and whippets. I've been out many times with other lurcher types.

I currently work smaller dogs/whippets here as dogs that take longer to get into their stride or think too much are never going to catch much. I need a dog quick off the mark that can cover the ground before the prey notices.

I've noticed over the years a lot of people who slate whippets have never actually owned or worked them...or perhaps briefly had one. I've never had a whippet suffer or fail to work because of poor weather, their prey drive is huge, not much different to your bull x and because of that will forget all about the weather, they just live for the chase/kill. 

As for them being small boned, prone to injury etc  they are all in proportion to their size and weight so no more prone than any other dog.

Out of the ones I've had only one was dim, the rest could make me look thick when out working, they would problem solve MY mistakes lol.

One thing to take into consideration. A lot of people who have whippets don't do very much, they are small, don't take up much room, can live in the house, it's sort of an occasional hobby working them if you get my drift. They just take them out now and then, for a couple of runs.

To see just how good they are a whippet must be worked like any lurcher, taken out often, long nights plenty of game, keeps them fit and gives their brains the opportunity to learn.

On the negatives, if they are too fast, and some are, it will be their downfall eventually.

I've found whippet bitches to be very headstrong. 

I've also noticed after a hard/busy night their retrieving falters, I put that down to the weight of some rabbits when the dog is tired...brains?!

Their pluses definitely outweigh their negatives.

20201013_224714.jpg

20201125_185205.jpg

20191115_175539.jpg

20200128_211845.jpg

• Like 10
10 minutes ago, Moll. said:

It's horses for courses.

I've worked lurchers, bull x's and whippets. I've been out many times with other lurcher types.

I currently work smaller dogs/whippets here as dogs that take longer to get into their stride or think too much are never going to catch much. I need a dog quick off the mark that can cover the ground before the prey notices.

I've noticed over the years a lot of people who slate whippets have never actually owned or worked them...or perhaps briefly had one. I've never had a whippet suffer or fail to work because of poor weather, their prey drive is huge, not much different to your bull x and because of that will forget all about the weather, they just live for the chase/kill. 

As for them being small boned, prone to injury etc  they are all in proportion to their size and weight so no more prone than any other dog.

Out of the ones I've had only one was dim, the rest could make me look thick when out working, they would problem solve MY mistakes lol.

One thing to take into consideration. A lot of people who have whippets don't do very much, they are small, don't take up much room, can live in the house, it's sort of an occasional hobby working them if you get my drift. They just take them out now and then, for a couple of runs.

To see just how good they are a whippet must be worked like any lurcher, taken out often, long nights plenty of game, keeps them fit and gives their brains the opportunity to learn.

On the negatives, if they are too fast, and some are, it will be their downfall eventually.

I've also noticed after a hard/busy night their retrieving falters, I put that down to the weight of some rabbits when the dog is tired...brains?!

20201013_224714.jpg

20201125_185205.jpg

20191115_175539.jpg

20200128_211845.jpg

nice work👍 how big is she, any pennymeadow in there? 

Edited by fred90
On 09/12/2023 at 19:21, Moll. said:

It's horses for courses.

You are right there Moll..👍

I've had a few pure whippets and crossbreds ,..they have all been grand wee hunters and always great fun.

Facts are ,..I've been mouching on various places, nothing serious, just having a quiet look around, seeing what is about and getting the lie of the land , perhaps for a future visit...😉..and,..with some of these diminutive tykes, they have caught stuff, in the bushes, reed beds, woodland brash and even found game sitting snug in the hedgerows...

I remember taking a small Blue bitch into a nice piece of keepered woodland, and within a very short time I had rabbits, hares and pheasants to hand,..so much so, that my partner implored me, to 'put that fecking thing on a lead' !

Over the years my heart and soul has been given to the various Herding composites,.but, the scene has changed dramaticaly and I can see me ending up,... as I first started,...with a whippet....🙏

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 13

Yeah I think whippets and their crosses are great dogs to start your hunting career with as a kid, also for when you get into your older years and for me most of the time in between, lol. They are one of the easiest breeds to live with, generally healthy, cheap to keep and are exciting to work. I had a time hunting bigger game with bulldogs but have always come back to the little runners and their evil IMG_E0785.JPG.d175bd95dc04b87621b4afe0ffb583b0.JPGaccomplices, the terriers.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Says the man, that openly admits to running leverets all through spring!!

that’s how i know it’s a lovely spring day lol 

dogs from pups go right threw spring summer first season then  it’s it stop then it’s only october to feb shaark 

you have your way i have mine i know who’s works lol

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

that’s how i know it’s a lovely spring day lol 

dogs from pups go right threw spring summer first season then  it’s it stop then it’s only october to feb shaark 

you have your way i have mine i know who’s works lol

Your just a killing machine lol