Collie Bull Grey.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1/8 bull 1/8collie 3/4 grey hust shy of 26tts

My first lurcher, best dog I've had but I know I never used him to his full potential as I was only interested in rabbits and hare, may have made a good fox dog because he certainly had attitude, hope

Posted Images

I dont own a lurcher at all, but have had plenty in the family over the years and pure greys. The one i go out with and work currently is a beddie x grew type lurcher only around 23tts and not a heavy dog at all. I take it out at the farm working rabbits with the terrier, but obviously occasionally as i would have thought anyone who gives their dog regular works does, we run into other things and accidents happen, its never an issue. Now this dog isnt breed for that game, so surely their is something seriously wrong if a dog the size of most bull xs isnt having no real trouble with this work atb

Seen him work and was a sight to see,

I was offered the use of him as a stud ,but used razor ,if my bitch wasn't 9 year old and I needed a pup,I'd definitely be on the long road up north.

I'll leave what he can do to dai,

but his 3 legs don't hinder him Much as far as I saw Or if they do he must have been one he'll of a dog before his accident.

If a bitch is worthy of breeding from and you want drive go see the spiderpig,.............I would

Never owned a bull x lurcher but some nice ones on this thread. Have to say i think some other breeds ie the greyhound are underestimated when talking about drive or whatever you want to call it we have had plenty of pure greyhounds in the family over the years and they were never found wanting for drive or guys, not saying they are the best just that I think sometimes people presume the bull added gives that bit extra when in reality it may have been from elsewhere atb

The Bull and the Greyhound have so much in there own right and bred together or individually they are old and established dogs that chase,bite and kill things..You dont need to add Collie imo but people who have a Collie x Greyhound can loose something of the Greyhound and so look to the Bull to put it right..

• Like 2

I'd say that the collie is (at least in this country) as old and established breed (that likes to chase, bite and kill things) as the bull. . . . . probably older.

Not trying to upset or wind anyone up. I am just saying,look at the breeds origins and what there jobs are. The Greyhounds answer is to chase it. The Bulls is to bite hard and ignore anything coming back.

The Collies is to give it the evil eye.. Im not knocking Collie/greyhound lurchers,Ive had plenty as a kid,but If you are mixing Bull and Greyhound you dont need Collie,as a rule they dont like teeth,and anything else is obtainable from the Bull and Greyhound if the right selection is made..

I'd say that the collie is (at least in this country) as old and established breed (that likes to chase, bite and kill things) as the bull. . . . . probably older.

Not trying to upset or wind anyone up. I am just saying,look at the breeds origins and what there jobs are. The Greyhounds answer is to chase it. The Bulls is to bite hard and ignore anything coming back.

The Collies is to give it the evil eye.. Im not knocking Collie/greyhound lurchers,Ive had plenty as a kid,but If you are mixing Bull and Greyhound you dont need Collie,as a rule they dont like teeth,and anything else is obtainable from the Bull and Greyhound if the right selection is made..

i thought like that untill i got a collie bull greyhound and by far hes better than a bull grey i alwayd had bull crosses wouldnt keep anything else but you get best of both worlds with the right dog
  • Like 2

Av seen my far share of dogs over there years due to the work i do a collie grey just doesnt cut it for me and av seen some amount of them i always work a bull cross but av seen some amount of complete tubes about that goes from 3/4 bull 1/4 greys down to 3/4 grey 1/4 bull found the more bull in them found they got abit lazy with there game killed them but lazy 3/4 grey 1/4 bull didnt kill as much but was better to see to much isnt always a good thing then how many of yous waych your bull cross an think wish they had abut more sense i was one then took a chance with a collie bull i got best of both worlds he need the bull its there if he needs the sense its there but seen more wanker collie bulls than good ones just need to be the right one

• Like 2

Ive got a young bitch bred this way, I had her with the same idea as trunk really. Thought the collie might add a little more sense, to be fair its early days yet but id say shes very similar to the straight bull grey pups ive seen in temperament. Everything is 100 mile an hour flat out.

I think it also depends quite what you use the dog for (or would in a hypothetical world), whether you see the addition of collie as a useful thing or not. I run down the saluki blood in my bitch quite a lot, but really, its pretty damn handy, so is the bull blood, and so is the collie blood. . . . . . .

With regard to collies not liking teeth, or being eye dogs, yep, for the most part thats probably very true, but then there are different types, my young collie bitch is a really steady, calm dog most of the time, but will happily face down, chase, and grab / bully round a sheep that is much larger and heavier than her, using force of body. And pre-ban I knew of a few shepherds who killed quite a lot of foxes with their collies (obviously not in the numbers of a good lurcher).

At the end of the day, if you want a pure fox dog, bull is hard to beat, but a bit of bull goes a long way, so the right extra bits of collie, sal etc. . . . can be very handy in deed.

• Like 2