The Bull Whippet.

Gotta be honest and say that i've never 'got' bull whippets. I just think, if they are bred right, that there can be too much heart in too small a package.

Seen some gutsy little feckers over the years but they would be all the better with more size.

Oh and for jacket, its the one thing i wished i could of changed with my old dogs. They look miserable as sin on bad nights between runs and worse still awaiting a bolt and they'll tear and puncture as any other short coated dog and usually with that drive a whole lot more!

The right drop of bull or whippet can go a long way but just the two can have its limitations IMO.

:thumbs: spot on bosun i dont think you could have put it better if you want the coat and still keep the fire try a wheaton or a decent working bedlington but i always prefer them put to a grey over a whippet but theres some nice dogs on this thread

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he's after bigger quarry than hamsters mate.

Posted Images

Cheers Bosun, its this kind of thing I was hoping for from this thread. The cross does appeal to me for the specific reasons I mentioned but as with anything others experiences with the type are great to hear. Id assumed that there skin would be improved by the splash of bull added to the whippet but maybe not. At the end of the day the qualities of dog I eventually use are way more important than the breeds in its make up. Im no way writing off other types of the size of dog im after collie whip or beddy whip etc. Hopefully the right dog will be available when the time comes in a year or 2.

• Like 3

If jacket is important and you both want to keep size and heart, then maybe look to small lurcher lines that 'may' have additional working terrier blood added.

In all my years the best jackets and skin was seen (and handled) was in working terriers, especially those known as Border/Lakeys. Enough of them were 'up in the leg' snd i'll bet found their way into smaller lurcher lines, especially around the Welsh borders or Cumbria.

Seek and ye shall find... ;)

Thats a good point, not many lurchers would stand being scruffed out of a hole without a squeek to be fair. Dont think many species would enjoy mixing it with a 20" earthdog cross! that attitude in a bigger body would be a thing to behold!

• Like 3

Got a small splash of both in all of my mutts

Beddy/WHIPP x grey

Wheaten/ WHIP x grey

Beddy/whipp x grey

Beddy/whipp/grey x bull:grey..... Sod the bull or wheaten ..... All of em have a drop of whippet... and you can tell!!

The "bull" is secondary but I can see the attraction as from what I've seen they certainly add somthing

Edited by mattyg

This is a young pup 22tts saluki collie grey x beddy bull whip grey wasn't expecting him to be as heavy as he is but this is the card I have been delt so I'll give him some graft over the next couple year see how he gets on, never owned a dog with bull in the mix post-70168-0-16070600-1426387821_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I like them, the 1/4 cross seem to be nice dogs, a whippet with a bit more build. I know of a first cross staff whippet that was used as a gun dog, rabbiting, etc she was cracking on the rats as well, but no way in hell she'd have caught a rabbit on the run.

I was wondering what difference sa 1/8 bull 7/8 whippet would be? Just to keep the build up a bit.

Edited by Tozer

If u get s leggy one then I can't dee much difference in them and s bullcgrey.my bullxwhip is 23.24tts.three qutrs bred.out last night farmer called had a few lambs used as fox dinner.5 fox shot and retrieved home by midnight.I rate my one he does all sorts.but I'm not sure about buying a less taller one for what I do.this ones here surprised me on what he's taken too.

If u get s leggy one then I can't dee much difference in them and s bullcgrey.my bullxwhip is 23.24tts.three qutrs bred.out last night farmer called had a few lambs used as fox dinner.5 fox shot and retrieved home by midnight.I rate my one he does all sorts.but I'm not sure about buying a less taller one for what I do.this ones here surprised me on what he's taken too.

Guy int pub said could buy 100 bull/whippet pups and you be lucky to get one your dogs height. You got lucky
Welcome back mate.that's true.